Keto

filly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
I have in the past cooked with both red wine and cider. Then batch cook and split into 5/6 portions.
Will this badly affect my sugars?
I am type 2 on Metformin 500mgs twice a day.
It only happens every two/three months.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have in the past cooked with both red wine and cider. Then batch cook and split into 5/6 portions.
Will this badly affect my sugars?
I am type 2 on Metformin 500mgs twice a day.
It only happens every two/three months.
What does your meter tell you? I'd try it and see

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A bit of red wine should be fine, I use one of those little individual bottles for a 4 portion casserole, cider may be more difficult as it is very carby, I’ve never used it since diagnosis

Reactions: filly

filly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
A bit of red wine should be fine, I use one of those little individual bottles for a 4 portion casserole, cider may be more difficult as it is very carby, I’ve never used it since diagnosis
Ok thanks very much. Shall try and see. The Cider is my brothers recipe, so might ask him as he is Diabetic. Saying that he isn't always very informative...lol

Reactions: lovinglife

filly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@filly I sometimes use a splash of Stowford Press Low Alcohol Apple Cider in my cooking, and don't have any issues with it.

I've just checked
https://www.carbmanager.com/food-detail/md:c1cd9e5f506473e1e48f55aca31c6ea6/low-alcohol-english-cider which claims "0g total carbs, 0g net carbs, 0g fat, 0g protein, and 27 calories per 100 ml" for what it's worth....o_O
Thanks. Made me chuckle with the splash!
I batch cook so use a full small bottle. Does about 5 portions.

Reactions: Robbity