Low carb and DAFNE

sweaty betty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi there - I've been invited to go on a DAFNE course (which I'm happy to do) but am currently low carbing. In the past low carbing has helped me lower my BG (although, annoyingly, not really had much impact on my weight).
Is DAFNE going to be centred around eating lots of carbs? That sounds quite counter-intuitive to me...

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
DAFNE will use the NICE Healthy Plate, and as it's known as Dose Adjustment for Normal Eating, you can expect that there will be little discussed on Low Carbing, and you may be strongly encouraged not to, dependent on the people running the course.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
No it's not centred on eating loads of carbs so you don't have to worry there :)

Diet is really discussed, when you get the DAFNE Handbook you will see that they say diet is an individual choice and make no recommendations, when I did my course I was a lot lower carb than I am now and no one batted an eyelid, the course is about much more than carb counting so just go along and enjoy the course.

However, if you don't feel you need to go on the course you don't have to, however if your moving on to an insulin pump sometime soon then the course is a prerequisite.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
for me DAFNE was about learning the methodical approach of dose adjustment, so not so much about counting the carbs, but more looking at your blood sugars over a few days at certain times and making the right dose changes.........

once you ave that skill, then any food combination can be tackled.........:)

ArtemisBow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My DAFNE course did cover quite a lot about carb counting but this was because some had never done it before - and it was much more about how to assess the carbs in a meal, rather than a judgement on whether it should be eaten or not.

I would advise that you might want to take your own lunch though, as the one provided on my course was sandwiches!

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My DAFNE course did cover quite a lot about carb counting but this was because some had never done it before - and it was much more about how to assess the carbs in a meal, rather than a judgement on whether it should be eaten or not.

I would advise that you might want to take your own lunch though, as the one provided on my course was sandwiches!
I agree with @ArtemisBow - a fair bit on carb counting as lots not done before but it was very useful for me with the doses and correction amounts. We had people come in on the course to talk about pumps, health conditions, etc and I have made some nice friends too that are fellow type 1s. I agree tho that you may wanna take lunch - it was fairly carby!!! All the best.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine was a complete carb-fest and totally unsuitable for low-carbers - and for all diabetics in my opinion! Biscuits and chocolate brought in by trainers; meal out involving large portions of chips, burgers etc.; doughnuts brought in by a course member; buffet involving sausage rolls, crisps, sandwiches, cakes - from start to finish it was about shoving carbs down your throat and jabbing for it. Information given out was incorrect and I was actively pressured to stop low-carbing. Absolute shocker. A week of my life I'll never get back. If you're interested, I documented it here:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/dafne-experience-the-good-and-the-bad.52066/

Smidge