Low carb for vegetarians

debeaniebaby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I want to follow a low carb diet but am vegetarian. It is really hard to find low carb diabetic recipes as they tend to be carb heavy. Can anyone help, maybe you are vegetarian and following a low carb diet you might have some suggestions for me of what I can eat.

Reactions: Speedbird

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I want to follow a low carb diet but am vegetarian. It is really hard to find low carb diabetic recipes as they tend to be carb heavy. Can anyone help, maybe you are vegetarian and following a low carb diet you might have some suggestions for me of what I can eat.
Hi @debeaniebaby , welcome to the forum.

Vegetarian low carb is not much different from low carb for meat eaters.
It mainly means focusing on protein, fats and veggies, and skipping things like potatoes, bread, pasta, and most fruits.

Tofu and seitan are very low carb, and some of the store bought meat replacers are reasonably low carb as well, just check the back of the package.
And there is of course cheese, eggs, cream, butter, full fat Greek yoghurt, all of which are filling, low carb, and can make meals taste a lot better. :)

I think you'll like this very old thread, lots of vegetarian low carb recipes: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/vegetarian-vegan-low-carb-recipe-index.61859/

Hope this helps!

Reactions: Paul41 and Redshank

Speedbird

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Try this website. Some nice recipes. Good luck.

AbbayMel

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am vegetarian and eat low carb. There are some prepackaged vegetarian foods that are lifesavers for me.
Quorn is your friend here, just not the stuff with any breading or coating. So Quorn:
ham slices
Roast chicken pieces
peppered steaks
mince
Family roast (all the flavours) frozen
Beef strips frozen
Chicken fillets frozen

Linda McCartney sausages
This Isn’t Pork sausages
Beyond burgers
La vie bacon & lardons

What kind of recipes do you make just now and I can see if I can suggest any swaps?