Medical ID Bracelets

stepher10

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
My doctor told me that it would be a good idea to get a medical ID bracelet since I am newly diagnosed. Does anyone have any opinions on this or think that it is a good idea? I want to know if it is worth it!

Reactions: 9 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I wear a medical necklace all the time with information in my wallet.

Reactions: 6 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have a MedicAlert bracelet. I've had it since diagnosis and I'm glad I got it as it gives me some peace of mind.

Reactions: 4 people

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
I wear 2 one on each wrist, both are the rubber types

MH2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have one of the rubber type bracelets. Its handy for me as I dont like wearing bracelets and usually forget I am wearing it.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone have any opinions on this or think that it is a good idea? I want to know if it is worth it!
I wear one of the rubber ones and personally think it's a good idea.

Is it worth it? Well...hopefully it doesn't have to save my life one day, but if it does I'd probably say it's worth it.
In the short-term, it makes for a great conversation starter. People occasionally comment on it and I've had many pleasant conversations as a result of wearing it.

Side note: Don't get one of the cheap metal bracelets. Every single one I've seen is gaudy, clunky, poorly made, and doesn't accomplish anything more than the $2 rubber versions.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Don't wear a bracelet or any other jeweller but do carry a card in my wallet to say I have type 1 diabetes, but your Dr is right and you should purchase one @stepher10

zacthedog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Injections,
Got a nice one on ebay, stylish black links, medical symbol on face, type of diabetes on the back from America, higher in price but good quality.

Reactions: 2 people

diamondnostril

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @stepher10,

After diagnosis I went for many years without wearing any form of medical alert ID; I never thought about it.

I can't remember now exactly what persuaded me to start wearing one, but I've come to like it.

I wear a silicone bracelet, which I don't need to take off for showering so I just forget it's there.

It states that I'm an Insulin Dependent Diabetic, and shows a web address and emergency log-in PIN code so that all my relevant medical history can be looked up if a medical professional needs to do that.

What I like most of all is that my partner likes it. For her, it's a daily confirmation that I'm not ignoring the fact that a problem could happen. And of course, the information on the band and on the website might just be very helpful one day. Hopefully not, but who knows?

For me, it's well worth a tenner!

Regards :)
Antony

Reactions: 10 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just thought to say that my MedicAlert bracelet also has a number and a 24 hr phone service back up.

So it depends if you just want something to say you have diabetes or if you also want a support service. The cost is obviously more depending on what you choose.

C

chris lowe

I wear a silver medic alert bracelet & as azure says it has a number on back which in an emergency can be called to get medication details.

Reactions: 5 people

jasmine1616

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
hate people who think they know about T1D, but they really don't
Go to the endevr website. They have a ton of bracelets for both girls and boys.

S

Shar67

I have a leather strap with metal engraved tag on it with Asclepius symbol on (rod and snake) also carry insulin passport which has all medications, GP and ICE details.
The pencil case I carry insulin etc in has a tag with Asclepius symbol on zip.
It's just like wearing a watch you forget it's there

Matthew-G-Bell

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People walking slowly in hallways.
f070de9f96.jpg
Got Mine :)

Tim1958

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My doctor told me that it would be a good idea to get a medical ID bracelet since I am newly diagnosed. Does anyone have any opinions on this or think that it is a good idea? I want to know if it is worth it!
I have had type 1 for years and wear a set of dog tags with my details engraved on.
Can't remember where I got them from but they make me feel more comfortable!

philchap1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dog tags for me although I have been thinking about getting a wrist tattoo( any design ideas ) or am I to old lol

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
I am T2 on 136 units of insulin and get the odd hypo so I started wearing dog-tags with a medic alert warning saying I am diabetic and my details are engraved on them. I also carry a warning card in my wallet.