Medtronic 780g + Guardian 4

Prancy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Anyone able to get the Minimed Mobile app to successfully stay connected with Android phones? Anyone on iPhone able to say that it works reliably? My experience with a Samsung is that it's difficult to connect and disconnects super easily (cue the 10-20 attempts to reconnect).

I moved over relatively recently and am having a bit of a time with the glue on the G4 - (currently using 10x12cm Tegaderm Film). It's a lot more pernicikity to apply compared to the Dexcom - definitely need support to apply on the arm, but was able to do it successfully on the abdomen unaided. The eruptions in my skin has truncated a few of the sensors, and sometime it just randomly stops and you have to replace - it's more flaky than the Dexcom in my experience so far (max duration has been 4 days so far).

When it is working with the 780G it's very good, SmartGuard seems pretty function.
I have an iphone, but plan to use my pump for my navigating cgm. I may change my mind. In my profession (attorney), I don’t feel comfortable checking my phone in certain situations (consultations, court hearings, etc.), but I do feel comfortable doing it with a medical device. Plus, I don’t want to be any closer to my phone than mandatory.

Dexta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The mobile app works well with my IPhone 12 and it reconnects within a minute or so if I’ve left my phone in another room

Reactions: kiwipoo

Wanderer89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have started the Medtronic 780G with guardian 4 sensors 2 weeks ago. My in range % has improved significantly already. Absolutely love it. Less stress & worry. The tape to put the sensor on can get tricky but if you want tight control, this is definitely the one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Prancy

Prancy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have started the Medtronic 780G with guardian 4 sensors 2 weeks ago. My in range % has improved significantly already. Absolutely love it. Less stress & worry. The tape to put the sensor on can get tricky but if you want tight control, this is definitely the one.
How has it behaved when exercising? I tend to struggle with lows when working out or drinking alcohol, even if I’m in temp target. I often have to suspend delivery, which us bothersome.

Wanderer89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How has it behaved when exercising? I tend to struggle with lows when working out or drinking alcohol, even if I’m in temp target. I often have to suspend delivery, which us bothersome.
With exercising for me it notices the drop in levels in advance & it stops the insulin completely which seems to slow the rate it drops giving me enough time to top up if needed before it hits the lower levels. Much better than before when my drops were heavier & less time to treat. Although I’m not sure how intense your exercising is. Drinking alcohol I haven’t done yet as only 2 weeks in.

Reactions: Prancy

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
How reliable is the
Hi Shell. I haven’t posted for a long time but I went from a 640 to a 780 with CGM in June and I’m in the 0.01% which can call it a nightmare! I loved my 640 which was my first pump and couldn’t believe how smooth running it was after 22 years on MDI after getting all my basal patterns set. So when I was due for a new pump I immediately went with the 780 and the CGM smart guard mode I’d been waiting for for so long. Since June, I’ve had: 4 nights where it hasn’t woken me for calibration, 0 times the CGM has lasted for the full 7 days, 6 times it hasn’t even lasted the minimum 5 days and I’ve had to get a warranty replacement, 50 phone calls from Medtronic people trying to piece it together because it works for everyone and not sure why it doesn’t for me…. My endo is about ready to put me back into manual mode because my control was so much better then. Just in that clinic there is two others that Smartguard mode doesn’t work for so it’s not for everyone. To me it is life controlling every waking minute and the 85% less decisions that Medtronic claim Smartguard eliminates is so wrong it’s not funny. You may be better off with G4 as it doesn’t require calibration but don’t expect it to be set and forget, the CGM is way behind libre in my opinion. Sorry, I hope my reply hasn’t burst your bubble too much! But honest is honest….
I wish I had seen your post a week ago!, I'm about follow you. I had CGM on the 640 and it was a disaster (no complaints with the pump, it's a keeper). The CGM would wake me all night and they never lasted. Did you have the G3 or G4, I'm guessing G3 by your reference? I'm not going to tollarate any more sleepless nights due to poor tech. I was made to think I was the problem and the only one that had issues, now the selling point of the G3 is it's much more reliable than earlier models and the G4 NO strips need to be filled with blood samples, hang on a minute I was being told I was the issue with the earlier model way back then! I bet the same will be in another 5 years (at least by then we will hopefully have the iWatch and as it's from Apple, it will be expensive, but it will just work. My issue with the old CGM was it just kept loosing communication with the pump, and none lasted 7 days some even failed to start and the pump would go NUTS. They had even built in AI, guaranteed it would play up at the worst possible time, in meetings, in the theatre, at funerals, etc. I fear you have got the decimal point in the wrong the spot. Medtronic tried to tell me that I was the only one with a fault with the 640g. a few weeks later a recall was issued, sorry they don't do a recall for an issue for 1 pump. I'm determined to give the G4 & 780 a good go, but the first sign of trouble the 640 is going straight back into service and I can think of a few choice places (that I can't mention here as this is a polite forum) where the CGM and 780 can be shoved.

Reactions: LaurieCurtis

Prancy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I see reports where people have issues with the CGM, sensors, losing signal, etc, and I do believe it. I don‘t assume the fault of the user. I wonder why, though. It’s such a mystery. Almost, the only time I have encountered it is when I have extended my sensor past the 7 days. So, I get 7 days PLUS more days…..possibly 14 days! On rare occasions have. Extended it twice! Although, the sensor usually starts acting up updating a lot after day 10. I wonder if there are electronics that are causing interference.

Bethny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Shell. I haven’t posted for a long time but I went from a 640 to a 780 with CGM in June and I’m in the 0.01% which can call it a nightmare! I loved my 640 which was my first pump and couldn’t believe how smooth running it was after 22 years on MDI after getting all my basal patterns set. So when I was due for a new pump I immediately went with the 780 and the CGM smart guard mode I’d been waiting for for so long. Since June, I’ve had: 4 nights where it hasn’t woken me for calibration, 0 times the CGM has lasted for the full 7 days, 6 times it hasn’t even lasted the minimum 5 days and I’ve had to get a warranty replacement, 50 phone calls from Medtronic people trying to piece it together because it works for everyone and not sure why it doesn’t for me…. My endo is about ready to put me back into manual mode because my control was so much better then. Just in that clinic there is two others that Smartguard mode doesn’t work for so it’s not for everyone. To me it is life controlling every waking minute and the 85% less decisions that Medtronic claim Smartguard eliminates is so wrong it’s not funny. You may be better off with G4 as it doesn’t require calibration but don’t expect it to be set and forget, the CGM is way behind libre in my opinion. Sorry, I hope my reply hasn’t burst your bubble too much! But honest is honest….
Witch is good 29%target range or 100%on range

SmartieMarti

Type of diabetes
Type 1
How reliable is the

I wish I had seen your post a week ago!, I'm about follow you. I had CGM on the 640 and it was a disaster (no complaints with the pump, it's a keeper). The CGM would wake me all night and they never lasted. Did you have the G3 or G4, I'm guessing G3 by your reference? I'm not going to tollarate any more sleepless nights due to poor tech. I was made to think I was the problem and the only one that had issues, now the selling point of the G3 is it's much more reliable than earlier models and the G4 NO strips need to be filled with blood samples, hang on a minute I was being told I was the issue with the earlier model way back then! I bet the same will be in another 5 years (at least by then we will hopefully have the iWatch and as it's from Apple, it will be expensive, but it will just work. My issue with the old CGM was it just kept loosing communication with the pump, and none lasted 7 days some even failed to start and the pump would go NUTS. They had even built in AI, guaranteed it would play up at the worst possible time, in meetings, in the theatre, at funerals, etc. I fear you have got the decimal point in the wrong the spot. Medtronic tried to tell me that I was the only one with a fault with the 640g. a few weeks later a recall was issued, sorry they don't do a recall for an issue for 1 pump. I'm determined to give the G4 & 780 a good go, but the first sign of trouble the 640 is going straight back into service and I can think of a few choice places (that I can't mention here as this is a polite forum) where the CGM and 780 can be shoved.
Can I say I was on 640g till Feb 22 when I started 780g with gaudian 4 cgm I can personally say I have had to have 4 new pumps in that time because they keep failing 1st time the pump stopped pairing the rest of them been the infusion sets if I disconnected to go in shower when I reconnect would stop working levels would go so high or would change would work for less than a day would just give out cgm fed up with waiting so long gor warm up then to find they don't work or just go from one extreme to the other with levels don't Match up my last blood test was 43 but really be surprised if is now consultant today said would change pump to different one but think about it 1st as it is the best on the market

Kayddie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Pump
Hi

Ive been approved funding to have the 780g with the Guardian 4. All the gear is actually sitting in my spare room waiting for an appointment with the Rep to set me all up... It's like tangling a carrot!!

I've been looking for some genuine/honest experiences and advice when first going onto this set up (I'm already a Medtronic pump user with the 640g) but can't seem to find anything but Medtronics advertising and people who are clearly affiliated with them.

Can anyone offer anything? I worried I've bigged it's capabilities up and really, experience should tell me that with diabetes technology there is always a catch or something that's not quite good enough.

TiA
Shell x
I've been on the 780G pump upgrade and Guardian 4 sensor since Oct. I absolutely live the pump and love not having to pick my fingers for calibrations. What questions do you have?

Kayddie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Shell,

I have had the 780g with Guardian 4 since May this year and I can say it has made a massive difference for me. My bloods weren’t bad before hand but they also weren’t amazing. I work all kinds of shifts so it has been hard for me to find a routine but since having the guardian 4 it’s taken away a lot of my stress and worry. I’m just speaking from my experience as I am sure everyone’s opinions will differ depending on many factors. If I had to pick one fault it would be that I can’t do a dual bolus, but in the grand scheme of things it’s not a massive issue. I’ve never had any issues with sensors not lasting and find that they also stick quite well.

Hope you get to start it soon and if you have any questions I’ll be happy to help if I can x
I have been very happy with the 780G and G4 sensor. My A1C is 6.9 down from 7.2 since July. The only problem I'm having mostly is I have alot of discomfort on the arm where I have to insert the G4. It hurts most of the time. Is this unusual or is it just me?

Prancy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have been very happy with the 780G and G4 sensor. My A1C is 6.9 down from 7.2 since July. The only problem I'm having mostly is I have alot of discomfort on the arm where I have to insert the G4. It hurts most of the time. Is this unusual or is it just me?
I believe the sensors are the same size, so there shouldn’t be a reason the G4 should hurt more than a G3 sensors. I’ve never felt much discomfort from them. When I have, it was the adhesive not the sensor that caused the discomfort, though I initially thought it was the sensor. The thing is tiny. So, I finally saw how the adhesive was the culprit…at least for me, it was like that. I hope you can find a remedy, since you like the 780.

Retty

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I believe the sensors are the same size, so there shouldn’t be a reason the G4 should hurt more than a G3 sensors. I’ve never felt much discomfort from them. When I have, it was the adhesive not the sensor that caused the discomfort, though I initially thought it was the sensor. The thing is tiny. So, I finally saw how the adhesive was the culprit…at least for me, it was like that. I hope you can find a remedy, since you like the 780.
Currently using Medtronic 640g. Transferring to 780g with G4 sensor. Can you place sensor in thigh as this is how I have always done it with 640g. Also is it safe to swim with sensor in situ

Prancy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Currently using Medtronic 640g. Transferring to 780g with G4 sensor. Can you place sensor in thigh as this is how I have always done it with 640g. Also is it safe to swim with sensor in situ
I haven’t started 780 and G4 yet. And, I can’t speak as to what the company approves as proper sensor site, however I wear mine on my upper arms, which I believe is the approved location. It just works well for me there. I tried the thigh area once, but it interfered with pulling my pants down. I never could get passed that. You might get reports from others who wear it that way online. I try to stay active in the global, online, diabetes community. Taking Control Of Your Diabetes site may have some input too.

I shower with my sensor (G3) in and have swam with it before with no issues. With specific questions on water exposure, you can call a rep. Also, they say there are depth limits and time sensor and transmitter can be underwater. They may not transmit to pump during that time…..so, I’d do a lot of research and approach it cautiously. I’ve decided to hold off on swimming right now and do other exercises at the gym.

cloud

Hi

Ive been approved funding to have the 780g with the Guardian 4. All the gear is actually sitting in my spare room waiting for an appointment with the Rep to set me all up... It's like tangling a carrot!!

I've been looking for some genuine/honest experiences and advice when first going onto this set up (I'm already a Medtronic pump user with the 640g) but can't seem to find anything but Medtronics advertising and people who are clearly affiliated with them.

Can anyone offer anything? I worried I've bigged it's capabilities up and really, experience should tell me that with diabetes technology there is always a catch or something that's not quite good enough.

TiA
Shell x
My wife is on 780G with guardian 4 - had nothing but problems with it - has ditched closed loop and back on manual - even then it suspends for way too long causing swinging. Guardian 4 are a lot less reliable and more out of range than the 3’s often when blood sugar is not changing dramatically. Have been 4.5 out but regularly out by 2+. The closed loop can’t cope with highs or lows very well and is terrible for exercise, periods or sickness. The only time it was sometimes good was over night but also wonder if the cgm data is a bit massaged to look better than it actually is. The closed loop algorithm was bought in (3rd party) and was originally designed to control blood sugar overnight so it kind of fits with how it performs.

Ginny 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello, I have my set up appointment on Thursday for the 780 + guardian 4.
I am currently on the 640 +dexcom g6.
Really looking forward to looping and will post my own experience once I am ip and running.

johncon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was on G3 until about a month ago, started on G4 and find them not as good (less confidence in them at the moment compared to G3). My 780 has been absolutely brilliant since I've been on it (nearly 3 years) so I hope that I've just got a faulty box of G4 sensors.

Prancy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If the G4 sensors offer me problems, I’ll just use G3, which I think are possible with Medtronic 780. If not, I’ll resume using my Medtronic 670 pump with G3. I need automode, so that is my priority.

And, if that doesn’t work, I’ll switch to something else. I’ve read plenty of complaints of all systems. Some are complaining of Dexcom G7 which is supposed to be very good. It seems to be a mixed bag.

Farnzbarnes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi

TiA
Shell x

Farnzbarnes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have been on Guardian 4 for about 9 months with the 780 pump, much better that Guardian 3, I only take my blood once a week when changing sensor, you just take your blood reading from your pump for a start, I wouldn’t go back to a 670 and no sensor! If you are being funded, take it, I unfortunately I have to pay for my sensors!