Medtronic smart guard 780g hypos

nmb264

Hello

Started medtronic smart guard yesterday and hypoing alot! Treating hypo and doing nothing in the pump then it gives me more Insulin as I start to rise even just a wee bit then I go low again! Help!

Also someone has said I might need to look at carb ratios and correction factors. Nothing was mentioned about this in training. Do I need to do this when in smart guard mode???

Thanks

Dexta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi. Try looking at SmartGuard/SmartGuard Settings. You have a choice of 3 Targets 5.5, 6.1 or 6.7.
If it’s set at 5.5 or 6.1 you might want to set it to a higher level.
It’s early days yet with your new pump.

Reactions: Prancy and nmb264

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It’s very early days, smart guard does take a week to fully learn about you. As above, you can change your smart guard target to be a little higher, correction factors do nothing in smart guard but you may need to also look at changing your carb ratio. You can also change your Active Insulin Time which may stop it giving you a correction so soon. Medtronic recommends you have it on 2 hours. For some people that’s too short but others it works well, it’s trial and error, you can change it in 15 minute increments until you find a good balance.

I would also look at what you’re treating your hypo with, I’ve found you don’t need nearly as much hypo treatment with smartguard active because it stops giving you insulin if it thinks you’re going low so it may be that you’ve taken a little too much treatment and because you have no insulin on board you’re going in the opposite direction.

I would wait at least a week though before making any changes to anything to give it chance to figure you out.

Reactions: Prancy and nmb264

nmb264

I have it set to 6.7. The medtronic trainer said it wouldn't alarm as much any more but it did through the night and said I was 2.7. How does it allow you to go so low?

The trainer never mentioned ratios or corrections and I just feel a bit left too it now.

Trying to work out the graph now because i can't tell if the pump is suspending when low.
I've self funded so definitely need to try and stick with it now.

I've been high and low all day so feel all over the place with it.

Reactions: Prancy

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Corrections don’t matter in smart guard which is probably why it wasn’t mentioned. Smart guard works out how much insulin to give you to bring you down based on your Total Daily Dose and your previous weeks history.

Make sure you have your low alarm set up correctly in Alert settings (Settings, bottom right cog symbol, alert settings). Mines set to alert me at 3.8.

If it alerts I am low I always do check with a finger prick to make sure it is reading correctly, especially at night as you can get compression lows from laying on the sensor.

Reactions: Prancy

Prancy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This matter has my attention, as I intend to order 780 soon. I tend to go low some in auto mode on my 670G and not due to boluses.

I wonder if the 780g system can learn you, if you are in Manual mode. I don‘t like manual mode, but repeated hypos due to auto micro bolusing would bother me greatly.