New to forum, not new to diabetes

nippers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
After a wild Holiday season filled with lots of food, candy, and alcoholic drinks, I developed a toe wound in January 2011 that would not heal properly. I was morbidly obese at the time, but had no other health issues so I hadn't been to a doctor in many years. The toe was so infected that it was quite painful, and touching it would cause pus to come out. I finally went to see a doctor who tested my blood and gave me the bad news-- I had type 2 diabetes and would need to lose weight or count on not living very long. I was shellshocked. She gave me a prescription for antibiotics, metformin, and told me to get a meter and start testing my blood, and she gave me a diet brochure that would turn out to be totally wrong for me.

Through trial and error, lots of blood testing, lots of experimenting, lots of reading websites and forums, and coming to the realization that what works for me might be totally different from someone else, I finally got my blood sugar under control and lost the extra weight. exercise is very important, but I personally discovered that no amount of exercise will make up for eating too many carbs. The only way to lose weight is through reducing carbs and calories, and revving up your metabolism enough to burn fat. This may be TMI but I had a terrible time with constipation when I cut down on carbs. I found that I needed indigestible carbs like FOS and inulin and raw potato starch (resistant starch) to keep me going and yet not spike my blood sugar. Big green leafy salads became my go to meal, and even with those I had to watch the amount and kind of salad dressing. My go to protein became baked fish. Relatively low calorie and yet satiating for me. My go to drink became iced tea with stevia.

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @nippers .. and welcome
Well done and many congrats on working so well through your issues and complications. It's not for me to say, of course, but it sounds as though you could be a great source for advice and encouragement for all the folk here who are newly diagnosed and/or coming to terms with how to manage and control their diabetes.

Well done, again :happy::happy:

nippers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @nippers .. and welcome
Well done and many congrats on working so well through your issues and complications. It's not for me to say, of course, but it sounds as though you could be a great source for advice and encouragement for all the folk here who are newly diagnosed and/or coming to terms with how to manage and control their diabetes.

Well done, again :happy::happy:

THANKS! I hope to be helpful. Once i get back home, I will post some sample meals that work for me. I remember when I was first starting out I was always wondering about what a good example of diabetic-friendly meal would look like.

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
THANKS! I hope to be helpful. Once i get back home, I will post some sample meals that work for me. I remember when I was first starting out I was always wondering about what a good example of diabetic-friendly meal would look like.
Great .. I look forward to seeing your meal samples .. and other "gems" :happy::happy:

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hi @nippers and Welcome to the Forum :).

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
Hi @nippers and welcome. I like your style. You took the bad news on the chin and now you want to get fighting. I'm with you. You can beat this.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome @nippers. Your story is inspirational.

Not, it's not TMI. Like you I am on diet control only, and like you I had constipation to start with. In my case it cleared up when I added 1 tablespoon of wheat bran to my breakfast. A bit naughty, considering that 1 gram of wheat bran is almost 1 gram of carbs, but it does the trick.

Reactions: Fritter65