New to T2

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your quick replies. I was tested fully and T1 has been ruled out, my liver is okay, and I don't generally eat fruit! Yes I have brown rice maybe twice a week, do not eat bread and have cut down the drinking to twice a week from around four times aweek.

My blood pressure is fine as is my collestrol and the doctor said something amount a score of 54 for my T2

I think it is tjhe carbs and that as a family we have always bought low fat, so from now on they are on their own as I whittle down on these and eat full fat instead. I have already cut to skimmed milk and only have plain porridge for breakfast

Ta all

The 54 will be your HbA1c result. This is a rough average of your glucose levels over the preceding 2 to 3 months. This means your levels have averaged around 8.7mmol/l in that time. The NICE and NHS guidelines recommend Type 2's never go above 8.5mmol/l 2 hours after eating, so you can see your AVERAGE is above this, meaning you spend a lot of time higher than recommended at all times of day.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

Your best bet is to buy a blood glucose meter so you can test your own levels before you eat and 2 hours after first bite. By keeping a food diary including portion sizes of everything in your meal, and recording your levels alongside, you will see which meals and which foods cause your levels to rise. A meter is the only tool we diet-only type 2's have, and it will become your best friend. Because we are all different, with different metabolisms, we do react to differently from each other when eating the same foods. You may find, for example, potatoes are your enemy, or you may find you can eat 2 small ones. You may find you can eat a small amount of porridge made with water, you may find you can't. You have to find your own personal tolerances and only a meter can tell you what they are.

Yes, do eat full fat products and discard all the low fat stuff. Be very careful with fruit (berries are generally OK) and also be wary of milk. There is a lot of natural sugar in milk (lactose).

Have a good read round. Ask questions. Learn all about diabetes tests, what the measurement units are, what all the numbers mean. This main website has all that sort of information on it if you follow the links.

Reactions: Prem51

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@joshandjess

Hello Ian and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new Members and I hope you will find it useful in addition to the replies by other Members. Ask as many questions as you need to and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 147,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. They're all free.
  • Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why :)
  • Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @joshandjess and welcome to the forum. I used to drink a lot of beer, after retiring I was going to the pub most nights for a meal (chips with everything) and 3 or 4 pints. But the shock of being diagnosed made me knock that on the head. I don't go to the pub now unless I'm meeting friends which is only 3-4 times a year. I usually just drink red wine at home now, though I will occasionally have a couple of cans of Guinness or lager. Diabetics call beer 'liquid bread'.
If giving it up completely is going to be difficult, perhaps you could cut down, drinking just halves on Friday night instead of pints. When I meet friends for a drink I start with a pint, then just have halves which I top up the pint glass with so I feel like I've got a pint.
And I used to eat a lot of chocolate, biscuits and cake after I retired as I had time on my hands. I now have a couple of squares of high cocoa content dark chocolate which I quite like. I still have the occasional couple of biscuits with a cup of tea but stick to the lowest carb ones I can find - usually Rich Tea. And I bake my own low carb biscuits, which is quite easy. There are recipes on this forum and on dietdoctor.com. @ewelina 's peanut butter cookies are my favourite and I'll be baking another batch this week.
Your HbA1c of 54 isn't too high and you should be able to reduce that by diet and exercise - well done on doing 10k steps a day.

Last edited:
Reactions: ewelina
M

ME_Valentijn

Wow did not know this, what would you recommend as a substitute?
Eggs are nice, with lots of different preparation options. I like to fry or scramble them with chili flakes, and sometimes crumbs of goat cheese melted on top. Full-fat milk or yogurt can be a more modest source of breakfast carbs than oats.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Compared with my diagnostic readings yours aren't bad - and I lowered mine significantly by cutting out carbs. When I have beer - which is rare, I get it half and half with soda water and make a pint last all evening. I also walk to the pub rather than ride, and when the weather is better and the evenings longer I'll probably walk both ways.
Treating diabetes with diet means that most of the recently introduced 'healthy' foods are gone. Breakfast can be bacon and eggs - with mushrooms and tomatoes in moderation, no more wholemeal toast. The protein rolls from Lidl are usually good if you crave bread. It really helps if you can get a meter to test, but those rolls barely register for me, and I quite like them - though I need to eat them slowly - however when it is packed with meat salad coleslaw etc it would be hard to bolt one down.
I have coffee with cream, berries with cream or full fat yoghurt - it is a great way to eat.

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The Lidl protein rolls are superb for breakfast or any other meal.

A bit bland cold but warmed in the nuker for ten seconds or toasted and then plastered in lashings of real butter makes them to die for.... Warming them changes the texture somehow and makes them very palatable.

For a lifelong bread lover, they have become part of my staple now, I eat one a day.

Cauliflower mash ain't all that bad either.

Truth be told, I'm seeing so many benefits to my health markers eating this way so it isn't all doom and gloom.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I agree with everything everyone else has said - especially about getting (and using) a meter. ;)

A couple of things - you might find your doctor and diabetes nurse aren't in favour of a low carb high fat way of eating because it doesn't follow official guidelines but it is the best way to reduce your blood glucose and it is your body not theirs.

T'other thing is dinner doesn't usually pose many low carbing problems but breakfast and lunch can be hard to cater for. If it is a bread thing then Lidl do a nice protein roll which many people find only raises their BG a tiny bit, if at all. It's in the fresh bread section of Lidl and is dark brown and triangular. Mr C has one for his work packed lunch every day and often one split and toasted with lots of butter or peanut butter for breakfast.

Beer.... not the best choice for a diabetic :) I find red wine, gin, vodka (with diet mixers) or Prosecco are better choices.... especially the Prosecco. ;)

I know that the diabetes seems to change everything but it doesn't take long to get your head round low carbing and you may find, as many do, that you feel better when your blood glucose comes down a bit than you have done for quite a while.

Element137

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi and welcome,

You would be surprised how many newcomers to the forum are shell shocked because they feel they eat a healthy diet. When it comes down to it, the diet isn't as healthy as they thought and likely to be carbohydrate heavy with too much fruit.

All carbs convert to glucose once inside the system, including the wholemeal varieties. The wholemeal varieties have an equal amount of carbs in them. Fruit is full of sugar - natural sugar maybe, but still sugar. Breakfast cereals are one of the worst culprits, including oats.

Have a good read round, and ask as many questions as you wish.
Hi and welcome to the forum - I totally agree with Bluetit1802 comments - I was one of them - and reading your recent experience it echoes exactly what I went through last August when first diagnosed - I thought I eat an healthy diet pre-diagnosis , and then felt I would be OK just cutting out 'sugar' - then realised via the info on here the impact of carbs - I also switched into eating porridge in the short term until understanding the carb content of it - part of the journey towards getting control ( and it can be done ) is the dawning realisation of how prevalent carbs are in modern diets - the good news is that you can eat well on LCHF, you will be able to understand the impact of occasional treats via a BG meter and therefore plan around them, and you can get your BG levels under control in a very short period of time.

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Hello everyone

I was diagnosed last Thursday with Type 2, I'm 51 and are fairly fit male, this has come as a bolt out of the blue and feel like my social life has just fallen down around me as everyone is telling me to give up the booze, which is an enjoyment of mine to go out on a Friday night and have 4-5 pints of real ale and chats. Plus a bottle of red wine on a saturday.

My diet is already healthy as I cook from scratch with my daughter and don't have any suger, white pasta, bread etc. Plus I try and do 10,000 steps a day (this is helped by having a dog)

However I do like a treat now and again in the way of a biscuit or chocolate bar, but not everyday

I'm a little down after hearing this news and any encouragement from you I'm sure will help

Thanks
Ian
Been there, done that. I woke in hospital and was given the good news there. After a week of true illness I collapsed at home and was admitted to the EMU. Been on insulin for 15 years now...but it is not all bad news. You have plenty of support, no shortage of individuals who are here to assist. You don't have to do this alone.

joshandjess

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Been there, done that. I woke in hospital and was given the good news there. After a week of true illness I collapsed at home and was admitted to the EMU. Been on insulin for 15 years now...but it is not all bad news. You have plenty of support, no shortage of individuals who are here to assist. You don't have to do this alone.

Thx

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @joshandjess
If you are considering a meter for testing your BG, you might be interested in the TEE 2 from Spirit Healthcare
http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/ .. it's FREE and, in my opinion, user friendly.
Test strips and Lancets are cheap (relatively) .. and there's also a USB lead and CD program for monitoring

PS: I have no connections with Spirit Healthcare .. it's just that I have found the TEE 2 pretty good ..

joshandjess

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @joshandjess
If you are considering a meter for testing your BG, you might be interested in the TEE 2 from Spirit Healthcare
http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/ .. it's FREE and, in my opinion, user friendly.
Test strips and Lancets are cheap (relatively) .. and there's also a USB lead and CD program for monitoring

PS: I have no connections with Spirit Healthcare .. it's just that I have found the TEE 2 pretty good ..

Thx I just ordered it

Reactions: Prem51 and AM1874