Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
@Diakat that's exactly the reason I wouldn't leave I love to help people if possible and the help and advice I've received is marvellous,I've seen some who have left but you have thrown me with Azure I really liked her so good with help and advice what hppened and when,if your able to say. I used to just post BG then go off but lately I've been looking around different threads and conversations and found all these squabbles going on and people leaving so I wasn't aware Azure had gone. Like others do I just thought she must be taking a break, I'm shocked cannot believe it I do hope she returns after a little break. Will look for the curry on bbcgoodfood.com thank you very much and nice to see you back K

Treading very carefully here. I believe there was a disagreement and as a result Azure left. Threads discussing it have been deleted. Moderators say they do not discuss thread deletion or member departures.

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
Treading very carefully here. I believe there was a disagreement and as a result Azure left. Threads discussing it have been deleted. Moderators say they do not discuss thread deletion or member departures.
@Diakat It isn't looking good at times on here I try and keep out of squabbling but sometimes you can't, but we have an exceptional forum on here with so much help and advice from a lot of lovely people I don't like to argue but sometimes you have to do what's right for yourself at the time so hopefully Azure will come back she is too valuable a member to stay away. I sincerely hope so anyway.K

Reactions: Diakat

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The Japanese use Konjac noodles quite a lot. (Shiritaki noodles.)
They are made from water and flour made from the ground root of the Konjac Yam. Some brands need a lot of rinsing before using becaus of the calcium carbonate solution they come with - has a not very pleasant smell but a good rinse gets rid of it
I bought a packet of the Barenaked Rice from my local health food shop as I was craving something 'rice-y' with a curry. After I had got over the Bombay Duck blast of distinctly dodgy fish smell (actually, Bombay Duck is much nicer!), and washed it, it wasn't too bad and I found it quite acceptable as a filler instead of the ubiquitous cauli-rice, if a little strange in texture. The packet was very expensive but there is a multi-pack deal on Amazon which brings the price down a lot. (I try and shop locally but the price difference was too pronounced.)

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I bought a packet of the Barenaked Rice from my local health food shop as I was craving something 'rice-y' with a curry. After I had got over the Bombay Duck blast of distinctly dodgy fish smell (actually, Bombay Duck is much nicer!), and washed it, it wasn't too bad and I found it quite acceptable as a filler instead of the ubiquitous cauli-rice, if a little strange in texture. The packet was very expensive but there is a multi-pack deal on Amazon which brings the price down a lot. (I try and shop locally but the price difference was too pronounced.)

You paid for the name, it’s very cheap if you don’t pay for the name and hype.

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You paid for the name, it’s very cheap if you don’t pay for the name and hype.
Well, I'm fairly new at all this (diagnosed end of September), wiflib and was browsing in said health food shop and saw the rice. Please point me in a cheaper direction!

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you give konjac products a good rinse then the fishy smell / taste goes. I put them in a sieve and run cold water over them for a few mknutes - its the liquid they come packed in that stinks rather than the product itself

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, I'm fairly new at all this (diagnosed end of September), wiflib and was browsing in said health food shop and saw the rice. Please point me in a cheaper direction!

Any Chinese supermarket, there are a few online retailers too but anything on the market with fancy packaging and marketing hype will always cost more. Just look at paracetamol! Bung it in a fancy box, give it a fancy name and instead of 20p, it’s £2.30

Reactions: Prem51

SusieWillow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think it is an okay kind of food for banting, it is made of some japanese sponge-kind and are not unhealthy ..,

don´t taste of much , but then again does normal pasta actually taste of much ?

Its called Konyaku. Its the latest thing around town. But I,m with the other person who said noodled vegetables are a better option.
At least you know whats on your plate. I wouldnt eat food from Japan although I believe the actual source will be China rather than Japan, though its a vegetable from Japan. Konyaku lying in a plastic bag in water doesn’t appeal to me either..soaking up toxins from plastic.

Best to be as natural as one can I feel.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some supermarkets are now doing something called Oomi Noodles.
They are apparently made from fish protein, and are a light golden yellow colour.
2 smallish portions for £2.99, so not cheap, but they are actually very filling.
Need refrigeration.
No fishy flavour or odour.
They have an al dente texture which is unusual in 'alternative' noodles.

We have had them a couple of times and enjoyed them, although too expensive for regular use.

(my favourite way so far was to tip some grated cheese, chopped ham and a dash of milk into a bowl, microwave it until it turned to cheese sauce, tip in the noodles and micro til they were hot too. Voila, pasta in cheese and ham sauce. NO CARBS. V comforting on a cold November day)

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Some supermarkets are now doing something called Oomi Noodles.
They are apparently made from fish protein, and are a light golden yellow colour.
2 smallish portions for £2.99, so not cheap, but they are actually very filling.
Need refrigeration.
No fishy flavour or odour.
They have an al dente texture which is unusual in 'alternative' noodles.

We have had them a couple of times and enjoyed them, although too expensive for regular use.

(my favourite way so far was to tip some grated cheese, chopped ham and a dash of milk into a bowl, microwave it until it turned to cheese sauce, tip in the noodles and micro til they were hot too. Voila, pasta in cheese and ham sauce. NO CARBS. V comforting on a cold November day)
I use the Oomi noodles sometimes. Couple of points to note
- they arent carb free but lower than ,normal, noodles - each 115g serving has around 7g carbs so you need to factor that in when deciding what to pair them with
- they are nearly always on offer at one supermarket or another for £2. They keep for ages in the fridge so I buy several packs when they are on offer

Last edited:

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Rather than buying them out of a box, I make my own low-carb spaghetti or noodles from vegetables: "spiralizing" or "zoodling." It does not taste like spaghetti but the eating experience is similar, and it can be married with similar foods (sauce, meatballs, shrimp, whatever). At least then I know what I am getting. My fave vegetables for this are courgettes and that redoubtable beast, the celeriac.

Edited to add: If you are short of time, pre-packed, already spiralized fresh vegetables are available, at least they are at my local supermarket.
What kind of spiralizer are you using?

Reactions: Granny_grump_

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

This one: https://www.amazon.com/Spiralizer-Vegetable-Strongest-Heaviest-Gluten-Free/dp/B00GRIR87M/ref=sr_1_4?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1511283587&sr=1-4&keywords=Spiralizer+5-Blade+Vegetable+Slicer,+Strongest-and-Heaviest+Duty,.

I am in America. If you are in the UK I assume you can find something very similar. I paid $21 (about 16 GBP). There is a huge selection of spiralizers, I just chose one of the most basic and it works fine for me.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Although preferring butternut squash as a pasta alternative I do keep a packet of these in the store cupboard for emergencies! They’re not bad.
I bought all three varieties about 6 weeks ago, maybe 8. I know I am not that bothered as just had the meat and bolognese with cauli rice. Really hard to try all of this stuff when doing OMAD 2 / 3 days a week.

Last edited:

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I bought all three varieties about 6 weeks ago, maybe 8. I know I am not that bothered as just had the meat and bolognese with cauli rice. Really hard to try all of this stuff when doing OMAD 2 / 3 days a week.
I'm curious about OMAD. Don't you end up eating one huge meal, which spikes your bg? The great Dr B says that if you eat enough even of sawdust it will spike you.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This one: https://www.amazon.com/Spiralizer-Vegetable-Strongest-Heaviest-Gluten-Free/dp/B00GRIR87M/ref=sr_1_4?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1511283587&sr=1-4&keywords=Spiralizer+5-Blade+Vegetable+Slicer,+Strongest-and-Heaviest+Duty,.

I am in America. If you are in the UK I assume you can find something very similar. I paid $21 (about 16 GBP). There is a huge selection of spiralizers, I just chose one of the most basic and it works fine for me.
Thanks. Would it be worth using for one person?

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. Would it be worth using for one person?

Absolutely. Many of the vegetables that one spiralizes will keep for a while afterwards -- either in an airtight container, with paper towel to absorb moisture, or in some cases are fine if you freeze them for eating weeks or months later.

Or you could, for instance, spiralize a small courgette (zucchini) and that would be about the right amount of "noodles" for one person, depending on your appetite.

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi @Alexandra100 I bought a spiralizer from Amazon online a Cooks Professional one it has a few different cutters for different vegetables and is easy to use,cannot remember how much but not expensive. But you can buy them from most places in UK. But I do sometimes buy the packs already done from supermarket if I'm pushed for time.
In fact I have just had spiralized butternut squash with a turkey spaghetti Bol. For my evening Meal first time I've had butternut squash instead of pasta so will be testing my BG in a little while will post what it is, before my meal BG was 5.7 hopefully I will be ok but who knows? K

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@Alexandre100 just tested BG 2 hours after evening meal using 250gms spiralized butternut squash and a small portion of home made spaghetti Bol. But it was too much carbs 7.7 per 100 gms so will reduce the amount next time pushed my BG from 5.7 to 9.9 need to tweet my spaghetti Bol recipe and reduce butternut squash has well. It's a learning curve of trial and error just have to keep trying things out. K

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Alexandre100 just tested BG 2 hours after evening meal using 250gms spiralized butternut squash and a small portion of home made spaghetti Bol. But it was too much carbs 7.7 per 100 gms so will reduce the amount next time pushed my BG from 5.7 to 9.9 need to tweet my spaghetti Bol recipe and reduce butternut squash has well. It's a learning curve of trial and error just have to keep trying things out. K

I use butternut squash sparingly, mainly for treats like the occasional "lasagna." It is higher-carb than other spiralized veggies.

My favorite for spaghetti bolognaise (and spaghetti with meatballs) is celeriac.

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I use butternut squash sparingly, mainly for treats like the occasional "lasagna." It is higher-carb than other spiralized veggies.

My favorite for spaghetti bolognaise (and spaghetti with meatballs) is celeriac.
Hi Grateful when I read on here of the many ways people avoid carbs by using other alternatives I find it amazing,but I now realise what a lots of foods I've never tried and celeriac I've seen it but wouldn't even know where to begin in preparing it,what an awful lot I've got to learn,do you recon I'll live long enough to take it all in. I'm already in my 70s but not afraid of change finding I'm quite enjoying all these veggies I've not had before like butternut squash upto tonight liked it and celeriac so much to find out and I've already been type2 for last 17 years with virtually no help on dealing with it until I found this site and the people on here. Thanks to all of you! Kathleen And you and Kristin251 at the other side of the world what a marvellous age I'm living in, who would have thought all this communication possible. Especially has I was 13 years old when we got our first television! Wow K