No Carb Noodles/Spaghetti/Rice

JoeT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Anybody tried these? I found them online, along with spaghetti, rice, fettucine etc. No carb, no taste. full of water....but on the plus side, I have been able to add a low carb sauce to them, add in a load of broccolli, some green beans and chicken, and it's a decent filler for a meal.

https://www.myprotein.ie/sports-nut...74xmj89jB4ozuk_m2YBoCVXcQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

upload_2017-11-15_20-31-46.png

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Rather than buying them out of a box, I make my own low-carb spaghetti or noodles from vegetables: "spiralizing" or "zoodling." It does not taste like spaghetti but the eating experience is similar, and it can be married with similar foods (sauce, meatballs, shrimp, whatever). At least then I know what I am getting. My fave vegetables for this are courgettes and that redoubtable beast, the celeriac.

Edited to add: If you are short of time, pre-packed, already spiralized fresh vegetables are available, at least they are at my local supermarket.

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Since going low carb I’ve just dumped pasta and anything trying to be a low carb version. My favourite alternative is butternut squashetti and butternut sliced thinly in place of lasagne. I’ve realised how bland pasta actually tasted to me and I actually prefer the fresher flavour of butternut squash!

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/webapp.../explore-asian-edamame---bean-fettuccine-200g

Also available at other stores.

High protein high fibre and although it doesn't taste identical to pasta it isn't far off and it certainly isn't watery. Nicely al dente. Nice and tasty.
Works well with bolognese sauce, and I like it just with olive oil and grated cheese (and black pepper).

Mmmm....might add that to the menu some time soon.

021842_A.png

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/webapp.../explore-asian-edamame---bean-fettuccine-200g

Also available at other stores.

High protein high fibre and although it doesn't taste identical to pasta it isn't far off and it certainly isn't watery. Nicely al dente. Nice and tasty.
Works well with bolognese sauce, and I like it just with olive oil and grated cheese (and black pepper).

Mmmm....might add that to the menu some time soon.

021842_A.png
Although preferring butternut squash as a pasta alternative I do keep a packet of these in the store cupboard for emergencies! They’re not bad.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Anybody tried these? I found them online, along with spaghetti, rice, fettucine etc. No carb, no taste. full of water....but on the plus side, I have been able to add a low carb sauce to them, add in a load of broccolli, some green beans and chicken, and it's a decent filler for a meal.

https://www.myprotein.ie/sports-nut...74xmj89jB4ozuk_m2YBoCVXcQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

View attachment 24510

I think it is an okay kind of food for banting, it is made of some japanese sponge-kind and are not unhealthy ..,

don´t taste of much , but then again does normal pasta actually taste of much ?

Reactions: Davenport123

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
.....don´t taste of much , but then again does normal pasta actually taste of much ?
I agree pasta is just a way to carry the more tasty stuff to your mouth really! :joyful:

Reactions: Grateful

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree pasta is just a way to carry the more tasty stuff to your mouth really! :joyful:

I disagree. In the old days, I sometimes used to cook spaghetti, al dente, alone with nothing else except a little bit of butter and salt. I suppose it is not that different from eating bread without anything on it. It is not something that I would do with Anglo/American "loaves" of bread but it is something that I used to do in France every time I bought a baguette! The nice crusty end seldom got all the way home from the boulangerie!

Sigh.

Reactions: Granny_grump_

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Konjac noodles. They have another name which escapes me at the moment but far cheaper if you buy them form a Chinese supermarket and not in a fancy box. They add nothing but bulk and texture to a meal, exactly the same as pasta and rice does.
They are made of water and a type of fungus. Don’t cook them, just add to a hot dish.

They do make a lovely ‘rice’ pudding though.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The Japanese use Konjac noodles quite a lot. (Shiritaki noodles.)
They are made from water and flour made from the ground root of the Konjac Yam. Some brands need a lot of rinsing before using becaus of the calcium carbonate solution they come with - has a not very pleasant smell but a good rinse gets rid of it

Reactions: Prem51

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
As I noted above I like pasta (or alternatives now) with a bit of olive oil, black pepper, perhaps cheese, mmm...perhaps even some pesto.....

As I understand it the Italians eat mainly pasta with just a touch of a sauce to add depth of flavour. Not like us decadent Brits who tend to go 50/50.

IMHO if the pasta on its own is unpleasant or tasteless then I don't want to use it just to get some bulk. There are nicer ways.

Reactions: deClare

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
Although preferring butternut squash as a pasta alternative I do keep a packet of these in the store cupboard for emergencies! They’re not bad.
Hi Rachox could you explain how you use the butternut squash instead of pasta never used it myself but looking for better alternatives to pasta and rice. K

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Rachox could you explain how you use the butternut squash instead of pasta never used it myself but looking for better alternatives to pasta and rice. K

I'm sure @Rachox will answer but meanwhile, you might be interested in this: http://inspiralized.com/?s=butternut+squash. (This is not a "low carb" website, but some of the recipes are suitable.)

So far, my two main adventures with butternut squash have been: a lasagna made with thinly sliced squash; and "butternut squash ravioli" made, if I recall correctly, with squash and ricotta cheese. Both very yummy.

Butternut squash is rather "rich" tasting and very satisfying, and can be married with quite a lot of other foods.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
52F006F2-7B6F-419D-921D-C99863F0C214.jpeg
Hi @Granny_grump. For lasagne I just buy a whole butternut squash and slice it. (A large one makes enough for several meals, so I freeze the extra stored with paper between so they don’t stick together enabling me to remove just the amount I need from the freezer). I just put the butternut squash sheets in place of pasta in lasagne. Spiralised butternut squash I buy ready spiralised as I don’t have a spiraliser (yet!). A tub I buy from Tesco, you just pierce the film lid then microwave for 3 mins, simple! Serves two.
Here’s a pic of half and half lasagne I made when my kids were home for the Uni holidays.

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
View attachment 24516
Hi @Granny_grump. For lasagne I just buy a whole butternut squash and slice it. (A large one makes enough for several meals, so I freeze the extra stored with paper between so they don’t stick together enabling me to remove just the amount I need from the freezer). I just put the butternut squash sheets in place of pasta in lasagne. Spiralised butternut squash I buy ready spiralised as I don’t have a spiraliser (yet!). A tub I buy from Tesco, you just pierce the film lid then microwave for 3 mins, simple! Serves two.
Here’s a pic of half and half lasagne I made when my kids were home for the Uni holidays.
It looks good will have to try these things out and didn't know they sold spiralized butternut squash I mostly shop at Aldi and they do grated cauliflower instead of using rice, I had this last night but I think my BG raised because of the jar of curry I used rather than the cauliflower rice. I need to look for a curry sauce I can make myself,being a bit lazy lately but we only have a curry once a week if I cannot think what to cook for evening meal. Got two on shifts mostly nights so I have to cook or think of something early morning so I can take it out of freezer to use. Take care Kathleen

Reactions: Rachox

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@Granny_grump you can use yoghurt with spices for curry sauce.
Hi @Diakat can you please send how to do this curry would be very interested Thank you so much love this site people are so helpful. Not seen you on here recently are you keeping well? K

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hi Kathleen,

Here you are, obviously you can ditch the car y sultanas!

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....cipes/2685649/family-meals-mild-chicken-curry

I'm well thanks. I took a break following the deparure of Azure to try and get my head around some of the arguments that have been happening. But have come back as I got great advice here when I started and would like to support others if possible. Plus I like the people...

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi Kathleen,

Here you are, obviously you can ditch the car y sultanas!

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2685649/family-meals-mild-chicken-curry?amp#ampshare=https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2685649/family-meals-mild-chicken-curry

I'm well thanks. I took a break following the deparure of Azure to try and get my head around some of the arguments that have been happening. But have come back as I got great advice here when I started and would like to support others if possible. Plus I like the people...
@Diakat that's exactly the reason I wouldn't leave I love to help people if possible and the help and advice I've received is marvellous,I've seen some who have left but you have thrown me with Azure I really liked her so good with help and advice what hppened and when,if your able to say. I used to just post BG then go off but lately I've been looking around different threads and conversations and found all these squabbles going on and people leaving so I wasn't aware Azure had gone. Like others do I just thought she must be taking a break, I'm shocked cannot believe it I do hope she returns after a little break. Will look for the curry on bbcgoodfood.com thank you very much and nice to see you back K