Novorapid or test first?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
What it comes down to is that as long as you are able to see when changes happen and react to them appropriately then you should be able to cope.

Reactions: 2 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, I'm very much aware that I test a lot less than most on insulin. I believe I am still producing some of my own insulin although my c-peptide test was quite low and my Basal/Bolus shot levels are typical for a slim T1.5. Apart from being lucky (?) my view is that if you have predictable readings then why test beyond a certain amount. Occasionally I'll find a reading in the low teens and may correct for it but it's not very frequent so doesn't affect my HBa1C and not often enough to test more often if that makes sense. I also do a fasting test every week or so to check my Basal is still OK.

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like you have a handle on it.. :cool:
My multiple readings are on the whole predictable too.

Incidentally.. (More used to car forums.) I also have fitted a variety of "after market" gauges to my vehicle too.
The van (a Jap import.) though old, is reliable but mainly due to the fact I can anticipate an issue & jump straight to a solution. As opposed to the one flashing "factory" warning light that will only come on when the issue has arisen leaving me & a diagnostic kit wondering what went wrong.. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Laura,

Enjoy the honeymoon - it's great :) Just watch out for any changes. After I was diagnosed, I felt fine and had great results. Like you, I just tested at those four points every day and my results were perfect. But gradually I started to feel not quite so great and I couldn't understand why. An after meal test soon showed me! Before breakfast I was usually in the 5s and at lunch I was in the 4s, but my after breakfast test revealed a shocking (to me) spike of 13.3.

So maybe just do the very occasional after meal test just so you know all's still well? That's what I'd have done with hindsight.

Reactions: 2 people