Pain with freestyle libra

elouisexxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I don’t know if anyone could help me? I have a freestyle libra which I’ve been having for about a year now. I put one in last week the Saturday the 22nd, since yesterday it’s been giving me really painful shooting pains and when I press or even just touched it hurts (which has never happens). The pain got too much and started really anxious so I took it out of my arm I look at the sensor and I’ve noticed it’s bent so I’m not sure but thinking that’s what’s happened in my arm. I’m now just really concerned that the pain hasn’t stopped and still feel like it did when it was in. I’ve got really high anxiety and can’t stop worrying, if anyone has any advice or has dealt with something similar please comment I’d really appreciate it X

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
The pain will stop I used to get it all the time as not much fat in my arms so would sometimes get a nerve or the muscle

And this would cause the pain to the point I had to take it out

Sometimes 3 days for it to go away

CJT66

Is this normal. to have such pain?

Our son has recently moved to a Freestyle and is suffering considerable pain. He is only 12 and has always been very thin. But when the Libra is attached its so painful that he can hardly sleep for the first 3 or 4 days , he has resorted actually taking some painkilling tablets at bedtime . Its so bad we are serious considering going back to finger pricks.
But if it can be made to work it will make his life so much easier , but cant go on with this pain.
I am guessing its possibly because his arms are so thin that the wee 'needlke' is hitting muscle or perhaps even bone.

This is relatively new and they are being appliued by the actual nurse at the moment so (i presume) taht they are being applied correctly
We wondered if it would work on his leg or even abdomen where there is at least a little bit of flesh

Last edited:

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Is this normal. to have such pain?

Our son has recently moved to a Freestyle and is suffering considerable pain. He is only 12 and has always been very thin. But when the Libra is attached its so painful that he can hardly sleep for the first 3 or 4 days , he has resorted actually taking some painkilling tablets at bedtime . Its so bad we are serious considering going back to finger pricks.
But if it can be made to work it will make his life so much easier , but cant go on with this pain.
I am guessing its possibly because his arms are so thin that the wee 'needlke' is hitting muscle or perhaps even bone.

This is relatively new and they are being appliued by the actual nurse at the moment so (i presume) taht they are being applied correctly
We wondered if it would work on his leg or even abdomen where there is at least a little bit of flesh

Take a look at this old thread.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/libre-sensors-position.181840/

As far as I know, Abbott Lab's only recommend use on the arm so you may be taking on a level of personal risk by deviating - but good luck.

Reactions: Struma