Phinney and Volek start new online health practise

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the link, BB. I've had a quick look-see and it seems to be fairly comprehensive, I've bookmarked it for a more detailed look a bit later.
cheers

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
I have looked at the site now and it seems to be something you join / sign up for, rather than a resource for widening knowledge. Admirable and ambitious aims, but the main purpose is to make money, IMO.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have looked at the site now and it seems to be something you join / sign up for, rather than a resource for widening knowledge. Admirable and ambitious aims, but the main purpose is to make money, IMO.

That is the impression i am left with too.

Genuine interest in helping treat and improve diabetes through diet and lifestyle, which is laudable. But only if you live in the United States, and only if you sign up for the program. Not sure what their charges are, so I don't know how accessible it would be for the average person (or how much profit they are going to be making).

I really wish them well, but i won't be in a position to make use of any of it - except for a leisurely read of all their research/references. :D

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If I was interested in signing up for an online program, I'd probably pick theirs because I know they are both active researchers in the field and I'd be happy to support their research by contributing in this way if I thought I would get something worthwhile in return. I don't see why they shouldn't make money from their expertise.

Hotpepper20000

If I was interested in signing up for an online program, I'd probably pick theirs because I know they are both active researchers in the field and I'd be happy to support their research by contributing in this way if I thought I would get something worthwhile in return. I don't see why they shouldn't make money from their expertise.
I have no problems with people being paid for their services.
It would behoove lthe customer to do their research before paying to make sure it is something that is benificial to them and that the person offering the service is qualified.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I read somewhere that 37 million dollars has been invested in this venture. Wish this had been an option for me when I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes in 2002. What they're offering is based on science, on what actually works, not politics. I wish them all the best in this venture. :)

Reactions: AM1874

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
So they are going to charge people to tell them they should be eating a lchf diet! Similar advice has been free on here for the 8 years I have been a member, why would anyone pay for it?

I have never been a fan of diet gurus, low carb or otherwise, as they are usually selling something, either a best selling diet book or a range of untested supplements and vitamins that may or may not be useful and this venture just confirms to me that their intentions are purely financial.

Unless of course that after signing up for a free consultation they will continue with free advice but IMHO a free consultation is usually a sales call!

Reactions: AM1874 and azure

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven't read it all but from what I have read you only find out how it works and what you do if you sign up to it. If a real proven breakthrough had been made in reversing diabetes it would be available to everyone for free.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven't read it all but from what I have read you only find out how it works and what you do if you sign up to it. If a real proven breakthrough had been made in reversing diabetes it would be available to everyone for free.

If you read all the research and citations listed on the site, you will see exactly how and why they are providing this service. They also have an excellently researched and well received book available explaining exactly how to 'reverse' diabetes (I have had it listed in my forum signature for the past 4 years). In essence, it tells you how to low carb properly. Virta seems to be a way to help people do this with appropriate online support and coaching from qualified medical professionals.

Voleck and Phinney (founding members of Virta) have been working in research for decades. They have run studies, present at conferences, write books, publish research, and are now trying to reach an even wider audience.

Nothing is free. Here in the UK we pay National Insurance and fund the NHS. Over in America, they pay insurance individually, and then additional fees as and when needed.

Since Virta is providing an integrated service coordinated with the patient's own doctor, this is a VERY different proposition from the usual snake oil miracle cures that pop up all over the internet.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Beautifully put @Brunneria . They are also undertaking to educate doctors as to the benefit of LCHF/Keto diets much like our Dr David Unwin and Dr Jason Fung presenting to HCP's at the PHC conference.

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
If you read all the research and citations listed on the site, you will see exactly how and why they are providing this service. They also have an excellently researched and well received book available explaining exactly how to 'reverse' diabetes (I have had it listed in my forum signature for the past 4 years). In essence, it tells you how to low carb properly. Virta seems to be a way to help people do this with appropriate online support and coaching from qualified medical professionals.

Voleck and Phinney (founding members of Virta) have been working in research for decades. They have run studies, present at conferences, write books, publish research, and are now trying to reach an even wider audience.

Nothing is free. Here in the UK we pay National Insurance and fund the NHS. Over in America, they pay insurance individually, and then additional fees as and when needed.

Since Virta is providing an integrated service coordinated with the patient's own doctor, this is a VERY different proposition from the usual snake oil miracle cures that pop up all over the internet.
Hi @Brunneria As a small businessman (I am only 170cm tall), I spent decades with the simple purpose of making money. Although you have may have altruistic motives, if your overriding goal is not profit, you won't stay around to make a difference.
So my comments came from disappointment that the site is impenetrable unless you sign up, because I like finding new sources of knowledge. I have no problems with money or the pursuit of it.
I admire Voleck and Phinney because I have read their works and I wish them the best. Just a shame it won't be coming to the UK soon and is too late for me anyway

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
Beautifully put @Brunneria . They are also undertaking to educate doctors as to the benefit of LCHF/Keto diets much like our Dr David Unwin and Dr Jason Fung presenting to HCP's at the PHC conference.
But will the education programme for doctors make it in the UK?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But will the education programme for doctors make it in the UK?
I think they have probably got enough to do in the USA...
As I said the PHC are having workshops in Manchester for Health Care Professionals in June but I do wonder if they will be preaching to the converted rather than converting new docs..

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
I think they have probably got enough to do in the USA...
As I said the PHC are having workshops in Manchester for Health Care Professionals in June but I do wonder if they will be preaching to the converted rather than converting new docs..
In the broader picture, perhaps it's best that they concentrate on re-educating doctors (and patients) in USA. If the tide is going to be turned, that's the place to start. I really hope this can be the beginning of something revolutionary.