Portion control.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you so much.

I have resisted drugs because a few years ago I had a heart problem, which required 4 short stays in hospital. Then I read that the problem could be caused by an interaction between 2 of the blood pressure tablets I was taking. I made an effort to reduce the number of drugs I was taking and am now down to 2( from 6). It seemed mad to take drugs which were harming me. However if Metformin works for me, then I may be able to get rid of the last blood pressure tablet I am taking.

I will give it a go, though I daren't even hope that it will work for me.

A

AnnieC

Dont forget the stupid dietary advice that has been given for the past decades, like eat a lot of carbs and eat very little fat, there is the major culprit for the obesity epidemic. Basic nutritional fact is that carbs triggers insulin and insulin in excess make you fat.

Sorry Totto but I cannot agree that little fat is the reason for the obesity epidemic. I eat low fat been doing it for years and am not overweight and never have been in all my 74 years The reason for most clinically obese people is their addiction to high saturated fat junk food and it is a very real addiction they just can't stop eating that kind of food and have no control over how much they eat of it their diets are very high fat with very little of any other type of food thats why they are obese and most are diabetic as well

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
"MY n=1 experience is better than YOUR n=1 experience!"
We are all different!

Reactions: 4 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry Totto but I cannot agree that little fat is the reason for the obesity epidemic. I eat low fat been doing it for years and am not overweight and never have been in all my 74 years The reason for most clinically obese people is their addiction to high saturated fat junk food and it is a very real addiction they just can't stop eating that kind of food and have no control over how much they eat of it their diets are very high fat with very little of any other type of food thats why they are obese and most are diabetic as well

I agree with you. However, I believe it is the carbs they are addicted to. They just happen to come smothered in saturated fats to make them more palatable. They eat so much because their bodies crave nutrition. This type of food (actually most of it is not food, but 'edible food substitute') will never provide good nutrition, so they continue to be 'hungry.'

Reactions: 8 people

SandyDee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There is also conditioning, what parent hasn't said 'eat all your dinner and you can have pudding'? I know I hate to leave food on my plate which makes portion control so important.

A

AnnieC

but

Portion control is surely what we as individuals need to eat it can't be defined by some study as we are all different and some people need to eat more than others.It is as bad to under eat as to over eat. I eat the right foods... no starchy carbs or sugar... and I eat to my appetite as some days I am more hungry than others. I have a very good appetite BS is good very rarely eat snacks between meals and have always been slim so eating to my appetite rather than to portion size works for me but maybe would not work for someone else.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is very sad to hear about your cancer and other illnesses, Please be positive about life and consult your doctor for a proper diet that would help you fight cancer, bp and diabetes as well.

Thank you Jordan, but no need. That was all in 2013, my cancer is in a pot in the path lab, and I've had the all clear. Just one more dose of Herceptin to go then it's all done and dusted. BP is averaging at 119/74, cholesterol normal. There is no-one more positive or in control than I am, which is how I got through the treatment. I have now turned my attentions to controlling the diabetes.

I was just trying to make a point that emotions play a big part in diet and nutrition, and comfort eating is as deadly as greed, no matter how small or large a plate may be.

Reactions: 6 people
A

AnnieC

I agree with you. However, I believe it is the carbs they are addicted to. They just happen to come smothered in saturated fats to make them more palatable. They eat so much because their bodies crave nutrition. This type of food (actually most of it is not food, but 'edible food substitute') will never provide good nutrition, so they continue to be 'hungry.'
Yes I agree fat is more palatable after all thats how the food industry keeps people eating high saturated fat because it is the fat that gives junk food it's flavour and makes it so desirable to them and that is what they are addicted to not the carbs they eat

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am very fat. I have tried for many years to lose weight. It doesn't happen. I have used food diaries, many diets etc. Nothing has helped me lose more than 7 lbs. Then usually after a month or so, I regain those 7 pounds, even though I am still following whatever diet I am doing. I have been to doctors. Their response is that I am not being honest in my food diaries. I am. I have been to restaurants and been astonished as to how much slim people eat. I can only manage a main course and usually don't finish that. I weighed my food and ate 800 calories a day for a year and walked at least 2 miles every day(usually more). I didn't lose weight. I got ill with many colds/flu viruses. I gave up trying to lose weight and decided to be healthy instead.

Something has obviously gone wrong with my body. But it isn't through eating large portions. I am now taking supplements and exercising to try to help my thyroid. I am convinced that a whiplash injury 25 years ago has damaged it. My GP says it hasn't because the thyroid tests are all fine. I don't know what else to do. I have been diabetic for 3 years. My latest HbA1c reading was 41...just in the normal range. I manage my diabetes through diet only.

I have decided that I will probably need to give the forum a miss for a while because I get so upset by people generalising about weight. I also get upset that I see so many losing weight on a low carb diet, whilst I do not. (though I am pleased for them) Dillinger is one of only a few posters who has helped me and given me hope.

I really don't see how eating 800 calories a day off of a small plate will make me lose weight when eating the same calories off of an average size plate won't. Perhaps many fat people are greedy gluttons. Perhaps though, there are more like me who aren't.
I know about thyroid problems! I was very ill for a long time with symptoms of hypothyroidism but my TSH was in range so my Dr said she could rule out under function. I took things in my own hands and started on NDT. Amazing. I got my memory back, I got my energy back, my hair, all sorts of things that hadnt worked for more than a decade suddenly was all right again.

Many patients say they feel better on NDT than on Levo and that it is much easier to loose the thyroid weight gain on NDT as well.

Reactions: 2 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you mean that saturated fats are fattening? Or that junk food is fattening? Agree with the latter, as junk food usually is very high in carbs with fat thrown in.

Reactions: 8 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know about thyroid problems! I was very ill for a long time with symptoms of hypothyroidism but my TSH was in range so my Dr said she could rule out under function. I took things in my own hands and started on NDT. Amazing. I got my memory back, I got my energy back, my hair, all sorts of things that hadnt worked for more than a decade suddenly was all right again.

Many patients say they feel better on NDT than on Levo and that it is much easier to loose the thyroid weight gain on NDT as well.
THANK YOU. I am crying with relief that two of you have mentioned two different possibilities for me to try. I will let you know how I get on!-

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you mean that saturated fats are fattening? Or that junk food is fattening? Agree with the latter, as junk food usually is very high in carbs with fat thrown in.
I think you will find it's both

Type 2 diagnosed 24/01/2013.
Novomix 30, Victoza, metformin 2000mg sr (but not taking them as they play havoc with my insides,

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think you will find it's both

Type 2 diagnosed 24/01/2013.
Novomix 30, Victoza, metformin 2000mg sr (but not taking them as they play havoc with my insides,

Yes, I agree and some of these foods are not very satisfying so people eat more of them or eat more later in the day.
When some years ago researcher's developed a satiety index , of all the foods they tested the one that scored lowest for satiety was croissants with less than half the filling power of white bread The next 'worst ' foods on the index were doughnuts and cake) Plain boiled potatoes topped the list ( the researchers suggested that the size, bulk and blandness of potatoes may have accounted for much of its high satiety. Their "portion weight was up to four times greater than the other foods)
. NB that isn't a recommendation to eat loads of potatoes either! :p)
http://www.diabetesnet.com/food-diabetes/satiety-index

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Actually, whilst 80% of diabetics are obese, 80% of diabetics are not obese which would suggest that it's not as simple as people eating their way to diabetes and that genes as well as poor lifestyle choices may well play a part. If low fat works for you then that's great but it is interesting that many people who low carb find it easy to lose weight and moreover do not feel hungry or crave sugar after a couple of months.

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Yep,I firmly believe that obesity is most likely a symptom of and not a cause of diabetes.

Reactions: 5 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Yep,I firmly believe that obesity is most likely a symptom of and not a cause of diabetes.
Possibly but how does that explain all the obese people without diabetes ? It can't be the only reason.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Actually, whilst 80% of diabetics are obese, 80% of diabetics are not obese which would suggest that it's not as simple as people eating their way to diabetes and that genes as well as poor lifestyle choices may well play a part. If low fat works for you then that's great but it is interesting that many people who low carb find it easy to lose weight and moreover do not feel hungry or crave sugar after a couple of months.
Should those numbers be 80 and 20 ? If not, I'm going mad lol :)

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Doh ! Should read 80% of diabetics are obese, 80% of obese people are not diabetic!

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Possibly but how does that explain all the obese people without diabetes ? It can't be the only reason.

Hi Mo-I think you've read my post the wrong way round-I know of a few type 2's who were slim all their lives and all of a sudden gained weight without a change in dietary habits or exercise levels prior to being diagnosed which suggests that a metabolic disorder caused the increased weight and not the weight causing the metabolic disorder,i,e Type 2 diabetes/pre diabetes.

Reactions: 6 people