Portion control.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Indy51. Having had time to let the advice about vitamin d sink in, I have remembered that for 2 x 8 month periods in the last 4 years I had been taking a powerful drug with many potential horrid side effects. One of these was that skin got sunburnt much more easily, even to the point of blistering on a winter's day when the sky was white. Consequently, I covered up and stayed out of the sun as much as possible. The side effects last for several months after ceasing to take the drug. The habit of covering up stayed even longer. So I would say vitamin D deficiency was a strong possibility. Thank you.

Reactions: 2 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
[quote="mo1905, post: 505010, member: 55195. Don't you think though that some people are just greedy ? Not just food, never have enough money or shoes or whatever ? Not sure. [/quote]
This is a reply I thought I had sent a couple of days ago. Sorry for the delay. Yes some people are greedy. I am very fat, my husband is normal weight. A few years back I bought a pack of 6 Snickers. They were gone in one evening. When I go to the doctors I am nearly always nagged about my weight, whilst my husband is told he obviously is 'doing the right things' with diet and exercise....'keep on doing what you are doing'.

One of the few chocolate bars I hate and would never eat is Snickers. (that's why I bought them!) Some people are greedy, but not all greedy people are fat. Not all fat people are greedy.

Reactions: 7 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I think that there should be more research into what thin people do to stay thin...(slim. normal..)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Some people can eat as much as they want of whatever they want and stay thin. (My daughter). Others only have to look at a potato to put weight on. (Me)

Reactions: 2 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is some hugely interesting new research about metabolism about this.

One thing is on the importance of bile. High output of bile seems to normalise weight. Points in the direction of why a high fat diet helps over weight people to normalise weight.

A very recent study is on genes and saliva. I haven´t read it jet but here is a link for you http://www.nature.com/ng/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/ng.2939.html

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Totto
Thank you for that link, I've been interested in this particular gene for some time and have mentioned it a few times on here.
Unfortunately though the paper isn't free access so we can only read the abstract.
If you don't know much about AMY1 and want to understand the abstract a bit more you might want to read this paper and the article' adaptive drool in the gene pool' that follows it which explains the paper and about the copy numbers of the gene in more general terms.
http://people.bu.edu/msoren/Perry.pdf

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bump.

This is a fascinating thread with very informative links.

And while I am here, I will weigh in on the subject of 'greed'.

In my opinion greed does exist. But the behaviour pattern that people call greed is a craving to fill a void with something. But the craving is emotional, and often the action to fill the need is physical (food, clothes, shopping, alcohol, plastic surgery, work, money...). This means the action will never succeed. How can you fill an emotional emptiness with a potato? Or a bigger house? Or a nose job?

The only way to fill the void is by addressing the emotion.

So it is possible to describe some forms of overeating as 'greed'. If they are aimed at filling such a void.

However, I find that an oversimplification (and an offensive one at that). There are many, many reasons for overeating. Some of them are chemical, some emotional, some habitual, some ingrained through upbringing, culture, lack of education, hormones, exercise levels, disease...

I spent about 20 years in a mire of self loathing and guilt, because I thought I was 'greedy'. Do you know what it was? An endless, un-identified cycle of low blood sugar, followed by reactive out-of-control carb binges, followed by depression, followed by self starvation, followed by hypoglycaemia, followed by carb binges... on, and on, and on... And all that time I had undiagnosed prolactinoma (tumour of the pituitary gland pumping out 10x more prolactin than a lactating woman), plus polycystic ovary syndrome. This lovely combo results in bizarre hormones, extreme food cravings and a cycle of severe hypoglycaemia.

Nowadays if someone blames my overweight on 'greed', I just smile quietly, and console myself with the knowledge that at least I am not the one who has to live with their narrow, judgemental, uninformed mindset.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 people