Pre diabetic

pamvivuk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
I've just been diagnosed as pre diabetic! This was a shock, as my husband is Type 2 and I thought through my 'nagging' of him (gentle dietary advice) I would never have to face this myself! I am a trained pathology technician and Biology teacher, so the science behind it all is not a problem, neither are the technical details. Who would have thought it would happen to me! So altered diet, monitoring BG, completing spread sheets etc. to try to get to the bottom of which foods will increase my BG during the day. Still early days but I love a challenge. I am determined not to have to take drugs. Enjoying reading these comments, and I would welcome any advice that anyone has for me. It is good to have support like this as John (my husband), just laughs!

Reactions: 3 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like you've got a positive, take charge attitude towards the diagnosis - plus the knowledge to back it up. I think you'll do really well :joyful:

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
Hi and welcome,
you seem to have it all under control,great positive attitude:)

Aldebaran

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello Pam and welcome. A wealth of first hand knowledge and a determined attitude in you already. Great start and all the best.

A

AnnieC

Hi and welcome
I am also prediabetic have been for more than 3 years now. I have moderated my diet and do not have the very starchy carbs like bread, pasta rice potatoes and of course high sugar stuff anymore but I do not do the very LCHF diet... low carb high fat.. as many on this forum do so they will tell you about that. Glad that you are feeling positive about it and that you have already had some experience of it with your husband good luck to you both

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Pam and welcome to the forum. It's a good thing that your husband can help with what you need to know. Ask questions if you need to.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi
I've just been diagnosed as pre diabetic! This was a shock, as my husband is Type 2 and I thought through my 'nagging' of him (gentle dietary advice) I would never have to face this myself! I am a trained pathology technician and Biology teacher, so the science behind it all is not a problem, neither are the technical details. Who would have thought it would happen to me! So altered diet, monitoring BG, completing spread sheets etc. to try to get to the bottom of which foods will increase my BG during the day. Still early days but I love a challenge. I am determined not to have to take drugs. Enjoying reading these comments, and I would welcome any advice that anyone has for me. It is good to have support like this as John (my husband), just laughs!

For me exercise has been the key to ensuring that your muscles will soak up more of the glucose. I am also like you I have spreadsheets, numbers, graphs all sorts and it works in giving you an aim and targets. I like your approach and I am sure you will beat it and can make fun of your husband instead.

Good luck

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. As others have said, keeping the carbs down is important but with the other foods such as fat and protein you just need to eat enough to give you the total calories you need. Veg of course is always good.

pamvivuk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone. I will stay positive. I'm glad I've given up chocolate for Lent! 20th April will be a challenge! Best wishes to all of you.

venkata chary

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, every one. at present i do control of my BG by using of fenugreek powder one tea spoon full & one small piece of cinnamin, but i dont know in future again there is any betterment to control of my BG. if any better suggestion please share.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
If you have a smart phone there are apps to keep track of everything for you. I find it easier than a spreadsheet.
My favourite is OnTrack..