Random sugar question

jingyd36

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Hi all, I'm returning to ask a question. I posted earlier this year after I had a hba1c of 41 last December and was concerned as I'm not overweight, not a bad eater etc... I have a private test in April which showed it was then 35 so I relaxed. I've been ill all year when my thyroid became underactive and recently started thyroxine 50mg.

My gp recently ordered a full set of bloods as I'm very fatigued and weak. We think it's thyroid but gp wanted to check me over as I'm still ill. He's tested all kinds, fbc, ferritin, folate, b12, liver function, hba1c, random glucose,nuclear antibodies.... about 12 in total. Today I called and 2 are back. My random glucose is 8.9 and gp wants to see me but hba1c isn't yet back. Before the test i had a panic attack as I didn't want the test, I've a fear of needles (I'd be a useless diabetic lol), and I was afraid the tests would make me more anxious as I've found this year tough being so ill with my thyroid. Before the test i also ate a Strawberry nakd bar (sugary?). I'm concerned about the 8.9 result. Should I be?

My potassium is .1 under range and sodium marked low too. Gp wants to see me about them too, so not the best start and not doing my anxiety any good waiting for all the others lol! I was hoping all be fine so we could be sure it's all thyroid I'm dealing with.

I will update as soon as I get my hba1c. Just wondered if anyone could reassure me.

Thanks
Julie

A

asparagusp

Julie, try not to worry. Whether you are diabetic or not, maybe testing you blood sugar yourself might give you a clearer picture. You would have to buy your own meter and strips.

Reactions: jingyd36

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I don't think that 8.9 is something to be unduly worried about. You could tell your Doc you had just eaten something before the test just to let him know. Best wishes.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I know you are fearing your results but once you know what's wrong you will be able to fix it rather than stabbing in the dark. Could be as simple as a vitamin deficiency. Maybe more complicated but maybe not.

What kind of diet are you eating? Low carb? What does not a bad eater mean? I assume you don't exercise due to fatigue? Just some simple dietary changes may be all that's needed.

No body likes needles but the refillable cartridge pens have very small needles and really don't hurt. I think worrying about needing insulin is putting the cart before the horse.

I too would get a meter an dself test to see what's going on. Maybe healing your other issues will help lower you Bs. Too many unknown variables right now.

Just a side, I know many people who have returned their thyroid function back to normal by giving up all grains and dairy. Just something to consider.

jingyd36

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Thank you all.

I'm hypothyroid so underactive.

I eat fairly healthy. No red meat or pork. I only eat chicken and fish. Vegetables, sweet potatoes or white, I'm gluten free so only eat brown rice pasta once or twice a week, fruit 2-3 portions a day, dairy I'd minimal maybe a babybel a day. That's about it really. A typical day is porridge with fruit in almond milk or oatibix, snack a banana or orange. Lunch is usually lentil curry on a jacket spuds or on its own, or beans on toast once a week, stirfry... dinner is homemade oven chips; salad with chicken, homemade veggie chilli, chicken curry, pasta... worst snacks I have are a packet of skips and dark choc. I don't eat biscuits or rubbish.

I'm 37, 122lbs. I've gained 10lbs this year since being fatigued so not I've not been exercising. Initially I was resting a lot but now more active and can do 10 minutes of gentle yoga a few times a week and walk my dogs 10 minutes a day as my energy increases. I'm a busy mum to 3 so I am active around the house and school runs.

I'm a bit nervous about the hba1c result. I called at 1pm and only 2 results back. I'm going to call at 5 to see if any others came in today; if not she said it'll be tomorrow. I will see what the hba1c shows and try to see gp next week to discuss everything. I suffer from anxiety so being ill with my thyroid has been hard enough for me.

Thank you all.

Julie

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Both hypo and hyper.

As said many heal with the elimination of ALL grains and dairy.
I see BR pasta, babybel, porridge, oatabix, chips and skips ( not sure what those are)
Then there's the lentils and beans. Yikes, I'd be bloated and in pain 24/7.

Maybe try eliminating all grains, STARCH, dairy and beans for a few days. Won't take long to see if they are the culprits

Have some salad or lettuce wraps, avocado, olive oil and proteins. Maybe a FEW nuts or some olives as snacks. You should see a difference in a few days. Might be time for some dietary adjustments.

A

asparagusp

One of the symptoms of a hypoactive thyroid is weight gain. To eat grains is fine for this condition. Once your thyroid is healed then you will lose weight.

jingyd36

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Both hypo and hyper.

As said many heal with the elimination of ALL grains and dairy.
I see BR pasta, babybel, porridge, oatabix, chips and skips ( not sure what those are)
Then there's the lentils and beans. Yikes, I'd be bloated and in pain 24/7.

Maybe try eliminating all grains, STARCH, dairy and beans for a few days. Won't take long to see if they are the culprits

Have some salad or lettuce wraps, avocado, olive oil and proteins. Maybe a FEW nuts or some olives as snacks. You should see a difference in a few days. Might be time for some dietary adjustments.
Great advice. Thank you. I shall have a look at my diet.

I was dairy free but my gp told me I should be eating low fat dairy. I cut it out as I've got high cholesterol too. It's why I don't eat a high fat diet and hate eating eggs.

Sorry skips are a British crisp. I don't like olives or nuts sadly.

Julie

june3579

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
illness
The right "high fats" will not cause high Cholesterol, the high carbs will make your diabetes worse, white potatoes, chips, rice, pasta all need to go.

Look for an LCHF diet, Many people on here are on it with great results including myself.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Carbs raise cholesterol as well as saturated fats for many. I do better With mono fats like avocado,olive oil nuts and olives. Eggs a few a week. Fatty meat not so much but fatty fish like salmon yup. No chicken skin, bacon, lard, only small amounts of butter. Etc. balance is good. Very little dairy for me too. Not all fats are the same.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I dont understand why a person with an underactive gland do not get a suplementation of the almost identical hormon and thereby get their hormones up to an normal level ?

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine is dead so I live only because of the artificial levothyroxine

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, I'm returning to ask a question. I posted earlier this year after I had a hba1c of 41 last December and was concerned as I'm not overweight, not a bad eater etc... I have a private test in April which showed it was then 35 so I relaxed. I've been ill all year when my thyroid became underactive and recently started thyroxine 50mg.

My gp recently ordered a full set of bloods as I'm very fatigued and weak. We think it's thyroid but gp wanted to check me over as I'm still ill. He's tested all kinds, fbc, ferritin, folate, b12, liver function, hba1c, random glucose,nuclear antibodies.... about 12 in total. Today I called and 2 are back. My random glucose is 8.9 and gp wants to see me but hba1c isn't yet back. Before the test i had a panic attack as I didn't want the test, I've a fear of needles (I'd be a useless diabetic lol), and I was afraid the tests would make me more anxious as I've found this year tough being so ill with my thyroid. Before the test i also ate a Strawberry nakd bar (sugary?). I'm concerned about the 8.9 result. Should I be?

My potassium is .1 under range and sodium marked low too. Gp wants to see me about them too, so not the best start and not doing my anxiety any good waiting for all the others lol! I was hoping all be fine so we could be sure it's all thyroid I'm dealing with.

I will update as soon as I get my hba1c. Just wondered if anyone could reassure me.

Thanks
Julie

I would suggest you wait until you get your HbA1c results. Then you will know what is wrong with you. The high blood sugar reading could well be because of your panic attack and anyway is only a reading from that exact time. The HbA1c will be a better representation of your average level over the last 2-3 months. Until you know what your diagnosis is I wouldn't start to make dietary changes. Once you know and if you are diagnosed with pre- or diabetes then we can help and advise. Hope that helps
All the best
Mark