1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Reactions to nuts

Discussion in 'Type 1.5/LADA Diabetes' started by Kristin251, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Kristin251

Kristin251 LADA · Well-Known Member

ok @Chook , now I'm totally noticing coughing and nuts!!!

I do however have bronchitis but I had a very quiet spell of no coughing and decided to test coughing. YUP!
    Of course I can't take this as a solid gold test but after you mentioned nuts making you cough something went ding ding! I'm definitely keeping an eye on it.

Nuts have been in and out of my diet so many times I can't count.

Other reactions I've had are the inability to stop eating them when I've surely had enough or don't even like them that much ( almonds being the main culprits here)

What reactions have others noticed?

2. derry60

derry60 Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

I made a Keto bread the other week with Almond flour and after having a slice I felt quite sick. I looked up to see if this could be classed as an allergy, and yep it can be. but I am fine with whole Almonds,I also feel sick with Cashew nuts,even whole

3. Kristin251

Th
    those almond flour breads and muffins are VERY rich. I used to make the muffins and did the macronutrient contents and couldn't believe how much fat was in one. I cup of flour is much heavier than a cup of nuts. They were too rich for me. That being said, I don't go anywhere near almonds anymore. I don't like them that much and they cause ravenous cravings for more until I feel sick. Hm... maybe it's just almonds that make us sick!

I hope I can at least keep my pumpkin seeds. Macs might be out. Another one bites the dust!!

Not to mention nuts are one of the top 7 allergens

4. Prem51

Prem51 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I've been coughing more over the last few weeks, usually coughing up a little phlegm. I have been eating nuts more, but not sure if that's the cause. I thought it was some allergic reaction, but more to do with pollution or some form of pollen.

5. Kristin251

Oh boy, maybe we're on to something!! After @Chook said she coughed after nuts it just never occurred to me that I do too!! I never put two and two together. Might be nut dependent. Not all nuts are created equal of course. Hoping pumpkin seeds don't do it!!

This is not good haha. Oh well, as I said, they've been in and out of my diet for some reason or another. I seem to do ok for awhile but then need a break. Guess my Time my time is up!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Totally get the over eating of nuts. Main thing for me is that peanuts - as well as being totally moreish - make me crave food.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Snapsy

Snapsy Type 1 · Well-Known Member

The only reaction I get to nuts is an immediate and overwhelming lack of self-control - I find them irresistible so try my hardest not to have them in the house.

This afternoon I had a reaction to the display of Bobby's salted roasted peanuts in the village post office stores. Whole bag. GONE.

:sorry:

• Funny Funny x 4
  8. Snapsy

Snapsy Type 1 · Well-Known Member

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Prem51

Maybe we're allergic to avocados! :wideyed:

10. derry60

derry60 Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Yes, I was not keen on it I have to say, too heavy and dense. Whether it is because I have been doing Keto for 10 weeks now I felt as if I had a brick in my tummy lol. I can never eat too many nuts only about 6 and that is my lot. I eat six walnuts a day just because they are good for me. I will still have to try out your Avocado recipe. I won't give up promise lol

• Like Like x 1
  11. Kristin251

NOT FUNNY!!!!
    which recipe??

12. Prem51

:angelic:

13. DCUKMod

DCUKMod · Moderator
    Staff Member

Eating nuts, I'm fine. Eating lots of nuts means I spend more time than I'd like inspecting the decor in the smallest rooms.

I found this out when I was attempting to halt weight loss. Needless to say, I tried something else at that point.

Ahem. Sorry about that; TMI.

14. Kristin251

I was kidding of course. Don't scare me !!
    The balance is important. Too many can go one way, either way lol

15. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I hope I do not get allergic to nuts @Kristin251, I have seen my neighbour out in his back yard raking around his Macadamia tree the last couple of days.

Good chance of getting a bucket full to crack open soon.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

If I eat nuts, I find I have a craving for beer. If I have a beer then I find I have a craving for nuts. Can you spot the problem?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 · Oracle

If I eat nuts I feel very sick, so I don't eat them, ever. I do feel very envious reading all the advice to eat nuts as snacks.

• Hug Hug x 1
  18. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Mmmmm! Beer nuts my favourite.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Hotpepper20000

Hotpepper20000 · Well-Known Member

Interesting thread. I don't eat many it's but make different cakes with almond meal and it doesn't bother me.
    I made pesto Monday with my abundance of fresh home grown basil. I haven't had pine nuts in over a year. I didn't make the connection but the next day I had a flemmy throat. And was coughing.

• Like Like x 1
    #19 Hotpepper20000, Aug 29, 2017 at 11:40 PM
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  20. Kristin251

Um ...I think @Tipetoo did. BEER NUTS. lol.

All fun aside. Too many or certain nuts create all kinds of adverse or weird reactions. I think more people have some reaction to nuts than people that don't. Be it cravings, weight gain, coughing, hives, etc. I love them but don't believe they're the perfect food. Just enjoyable. I think I'm taking a sabbatical from them for a bit.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook