Recovery after diagnoses?

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just a quick one, for ppl who were diagnosed as adults..

When u were diagnosed, how long did u have off work? Especially if u had to go to hospital.

And does D cause u to have sick days?

Last edited by a moderator:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I think I was off work for around 2-3 weeks. spent one of those weeks in hospital.

Reactions: 2 people

Kelsie

Two days then straight back to work, the hospital urged me to get back to normal routine as quick as possible so i did and I'm glad I did :) obviously everyone is different

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine was 3, was in hospital for 2 nights. I had about 2 days off in first couple of weeks too. So 5 total.

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I did not take any days off infact was in office when i got the call frim gp just asked my wife to get the prescription started medication and got this website so followed lchf

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had been working a steady 9-5 job for a few years when i was diagnosed as a type 1.

I went into the Emergency Room after work on a Monday, and was kept all week being treated for DKA, and released on the Sunday afternoon. I stayed home from work for the Monday, Tuesday and returned on Wednesday because I had used up all of my annual sick days... I also went back to the gym that Thursday, the day after starting work and like 10 days after being diagnosed lol

So i was off work for a total of 6 days and off the gym a total of 10 (i was able to get in a workout being going to the ER lol), and then went straight back into it lol

Trial by fire eh

EDIT - Also, in the last 6 months of having my T1, i have not had any diabetes related sick days, but i do have a great excuse now if i needed time off lol Maybe this summer..... shhh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Just a quick one, for ppl who were diagnosed as adults..

When u were diagnosed, how long did u have off work? Especially if u had to go to hospital.

And does D cause u to have sick days?

Hi, I was admitted to hospital whilst staying with my sister ( hundreds of miles from home) so I had the one weeks holiday ( in hospital for one week) then stayed another week at my sisters because I was told not to travel back ( by coach) to my home, Obviously I needed to get used to Insulin and activity as well, as I was quite sedentary in the hospital, then, had the weekend back home and back to work, worked PT at Sainsbury's. Very rarely had sick days off, if any ? Always carried on working.

RRB :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Taken to hosp on Tues, out on the Fri n back to work on the Sat.

Intentionally have never had time off work for diabetes anything.... As being told "you will get complications"-I though I would need to minimise my sickies for anything....

Never had sicky for a night hypo etc

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I didn't have any time off. Didn't even occur to me to take time off. That might have been because it all happened quite slowly though. I was diagnosed Type 2 and told diet and exercise. Got gradually more and more ill over about 9 months. Was re-diagnosed LADA and went onto basal and then introduced bolus a couple of months later. I just sort of got on with it. Looking back on it, I can't quite believe I carried on as though it was normal!

It does sometimes cause me sick days now though. If I had a cold before I'd just get on with it, but now my BG goes high and I really struggle so that sometimes causes me to take time off that I wouldn't previously have done.

Smidge

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Taken to hosp on Tues, out on the Fri n back to work on the Sat.

Intentionally have never had time off work for diabetes anything.... As being told "you will get complications"-I though I would need to minimise my sickies for anything....

Never had sicky for a night hypo etc
I was taken to hospital Tue out thurs and work on fri.

Was just finding it annoying at work ppl calling in sick all the time for minor things like a headache when we get headaches plus more from highs and lows but quietly carry on anyway. Maybe I'm just too grumpy lol

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I was taken to hospital Tue out thurs and work on fri.

Was just finding it annoying at work ppl calling in sick all the time for minor things like a headache when we get headaches plus more from highs and lows but quietly carry on anyway. Maybe I'm just too grumpy lol

I used to get dreadfully annoyed with people taling the mickey with sickies..
One chap I did his return to work....
He claimed a migraine.... And 3 days in bed with it. He didnt know he had been spotted out on his motorbike!! Anyway, I gave him such a grilling and he had no way out for his lies, that he got up and walked off site......

I always used to explain to my staff how I viewed my own illness and that they shouldn't moan... So it's no wonder some other member of staff dobbed in this guy.....:)

Reactions: 5 people

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Being sick with physical pain is one thing, but if you have a cold or the flu (anything I could catch) I don't care how good you feel I don't want that person coming to work until they are well.

Maybe that's just me, but that's how I view sick days 'take them and don't infect others'

Everything affects everyone differently, your 'little head cold' could make me take a couple off and feel completely awful.

Reactions: 7 people

L3wisr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Quite a while and it's doing my head in. Due to the fact i was left for undiagnosed for a long time with all the symptoms it got to the point where i couldn't leave the house because of the worry of needing the toilet and that has just stuck with me. Trying to leave the house without this anxiety is a nightmare :grumpy:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
This chap I referred to lied his head off!!! The more bull he spouted the more he got himself in to more problems....

I agree with ill.. Everybody handles differently..
Half the probs tho with colds, or gastroenteritis etc is because people don't wash their hands...

At my practice, we have a touch screen for signing in for your appointment. Honest, I go up to Practice at least once a week for 3 hours to talk to Patients. I haven't seen one patient actually use the gel pre using the screen... Around 100 people a day actually use that touchscreen and don't give two hoots about the last ill person in front of them or the people behind them...

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed on the Monday afternoon, returned to work the following Monday. Would have gone back earlier but I also ended up with tonsillitis at the same time. Typical!

I have taken 1 half day from diabetes since then, 15 months after diagnosis. We were on an away day and BG was high and not coming down. I wanted to replace own cartridge but would have taken an hour home and an hour back again, boss said just to stay at home.

As for colds etc, if I'm sneezing or seem contagious I stay home. However, I work off a laptop so I work from home and that way it's not counted as a sick day. Ring in to meetings via conference call etc. this is encouraged so we don't spread anything. I keep antibacterial gel on my desk for all the bugs too! Want to keep my hands clean!

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Being sick with physical pain is one thing, but if you have a cold or the flu (anything I could catch) I don't care how good you feel I don't want that person coming to work until they are well.

Maybe that's just me, but that's how I view sick days 'take them and don't infect others'

Everything affects everyone differently, your 'little head cold' could make me take a couple off and feel completely awful.
Oh yeh that annoys me too. I guess my colleagues can't win! Haha :shy:

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Quite a while and it's doing my head in. Due to the fact i was left for undiagnosed for a long time with all the symptoms it got to the point where i couldn't leave the house because of the worry of needing the toilet and that has just stuck with me. Trying to leave the house without this anxiety is a nightmare :grumpy:
Ohh dear :( I know your feeling. I was undiagnosed for at least 4 months I think, and was literally scared to go anywhere without a drink of water because I was so thirsty all the time. Are your symptoms any better?

Auckland Canary

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed as a child but I was in hospital for a week and off school for a week. I have never had time off for my diabetes and often take annual leave for hospital appointments. Even after having paramedics attend during the night I go to work the next day apart from once when they insisted I go to hospital. I never did that again as I just sat on a bed for 10 hours while nothing happened! However I do not suffer from complications apart from background retinopathy so this may change if I develop problems with my kidneys etc.

Reactions: 3 people

L3wisr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ohh dear :( I know your feeling. I was undiagnosed for at least 4 months I think, and was literally scared to go anywhere without a drink of water because I was so thirsty all the time. Are your symptoms any better?
Its annoying because i know it wouldn't have been so bad if the doctors had just seen it, made atleast 7 appointments and i was told to drink more water each time :/ didn't find out till i went to a different clinic. I feel perfectly fine now when i'm at home but its as soon as i go out of the house i get all worked up and all of the symptoms come back basically :(

baz2107

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Got a call on the Tuesday morning about my results and my appointment at docs was brought forward from Thursday to later that morning-went to work for a few hours-got diagnosed, went up to hospital to speak to nurse and get prescription, then went back to work next day

been diagnosed around 15 months, havent had a day off due to diabetes (only had 2 sick days-which were a bug) and only time off has been for appointments. My blood sugar is a nightmare if I am ever ill though like a lot of others