Rule of 15, my ****.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Same 15g rule here, I often don't use that much even at quite low levels, I also don't aim for the level that the 15gm is aiming for (ie given 1g of glucose theoretically causes a rise of about 0.2 mmol/l (4gm/dl) for a person of my size, 15g would often take me too high)

It must vary though according to the reason you're hypo . If you have tons of insulin in your system for some reason (overdose or maybe an absorption problem with the same effect of a sudden surge of insulin, then you might need a lot more.
I've only had a few hypos that have taken longer or more carbs to respond and again only a few when I've had a symptom of being really hungry.

Ensuite, il faut se resucrer mais pas trop ! 15 grammes de glucides suffisent : 3 morceaux de sucre, par exemple, ou un verre de jus de fruit, un verre de soda non light, 1 cuillère à soupe de confiture ou de miel. (A éviter : le chocolat ou les fruits, dont l’effet hyperglycémiant est plus lent).
http://www.afd.asso.fr/diabetique/glycemie/hypo
If you can manage it there is a quiz, an interesting question is about what level constitutes a severe hypo (won't tell you the answer they give!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Normally 15g is about right for me, but I've had sessions similar to Spiker where I just couldn't believe how much I needed to eat - usually at about 2:00am. Horrible. My CGM is great but it seems to take for ever to register a pick up from a low.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@noblehead and DD, I am glad that the hypos you have are comparatively mild / shallow. I agree I now need to understand what caused such a steep and aggressive hypo.

Noblehead I think your experience proves that the Rule of 15 is just as likely to be wrong in the other direction - too many carbs rather than too few.

It's ridiculous really that they make these simplistic rules and try to apply them to an entire population that is so diverse.

I think we have both been diabetic a similar length of time Spiker, the advise I was given from the start (and was often mentioned in the diabetes literature) was to treat a hypo with 10-20g of fast acting carbs.

Not sure if you did the course, but on the day where family and friends come in to discuss illness (Sick Day Rules) and hypo's they do say there's some flexibility on how much glucose someone needs depending on factors like IOB and exercise, so the 15g rule isn't set in stone by any means and it certainly does vary going by all our experiences.

Anyway, hope you find what caused your hypo from hell.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@noblehead and DD, I am glad that the hypos you have are comparatively mild / shallow. I agree I now need to understand what caused such a steep and aggressive hypo.

Noblehead I think your experience proves that the Rule of 15 is just as likely to be wrong in the other direction - too many carbs rather than too few.

It's ridiculous really that they make these simplistic rules and try to apply them to an entire population that is so diverse.

Mars bars. I apreciate a lot of people think they work a little too slow..
Funny enough I woke with a hypo This morning around 4.10am.
The cause must have been basal, though I'm still on the slack dose for summer & tested well to bed down on after my previous post on this thread.
So, tucking into a Mars bar & for some reason remembering Spiker's thread....
Plus testing on a hand not handling said food stuff.
Looking again at meter records, 4.20am I was rising within 5mins at 2.3, 4.40am 6.6, 4.48am 7.3... Happy with this I ******** of back to bed.
Pretty shot from the gig last night. Lol you really don't wanna know the figure that read just now though......!

Agreed, we are all different..

Seriously_Sax1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hmm seems were all told different things... I was told to test, take 4 dextrose/glucotabs, wait 15 mins then check again, eat something with 20g or less carbs then check an hour later

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well 4 glucotabs is 16 gCH, so same thing really.

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mars bars. I apreciate a lot of people think they work a little too slow..
Funny enough I woke with a hypo This morning around 4.10am.
The cause must have been basal, though I'm still on the slack dose for summer & tested well to bed down on after my previous post on this thread.
So, tucking into a Mars bar & for some reason remembering Spiker's thread....
Plus testing on a hand not handling said food stuff.
Looking again at meter records, 4.20am I was rising within 5mins at 2.3, 4.40am 6.6, 4.48am 7.3... Happy with this I ******** of back to bed.
Pretty shot from the gig last night. Lol you really don't wanna know the figure that read just now though......!

Agreed, we are all different..

Hi Jaylee,

Do you find that during the gig your BS rises because of the adrenalin rush? And drops when the gig is over?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Jaylee,

Do you find that during the gig your BS rises because of the adrenalin rush? And drops when the gig is over?

Hello,

Unfortunately I can't be that "scientific" regarding BS levels during the actual gigs...
I tend not to eat prior to shows. I may have lunch as late as 2pm & that's it till after a gig which could be over by 1am..? (I like the feeling of singing for supper.)
I have dropped low after, at a straight set festival..
But have experienced a drop ten minutes into a second "pub gig" set. After a 20 minute break?
I try to keep levels for gigs around 7 or 8 at the start for optimum vocal performance..
Any hypo treatment at these sort of events are always sugary drinks..

malky39

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think in this case its just that fact that different things work for different people and you need to experiment to see what best for yourself

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think in this case its just that fact that different things work for different people and you need to experiment to see what best for yourself
Indeed. And not to prescribe one-size-fits-all policies for treating life-threatening emergencies. ^_^

Reactions: 3 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I think the difficulty with telling people that they should work it out for themselves what works is that a significant proportion would end up in the back of an ambulance on multiple occasions. By providing a guideline, you can at least reduce this risk.

Remember, 90% of people act stupidly in stressful situations, so giving them an easy way to do something is better than nothing.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

crystal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Sport, high heels, fatty food.
I did a BERTIE course, which seems to be better than DAFNE in some respects. I was told to treat hypos preferably with a glucose drink, like Lucozade, then wait 10 mins before eating something solid like a plain biscuit or bread . This is because eating too soon will slow the absorption of glucose from the drink, and delay the rise in BG. In practice, my brain doesn't work when I'm hypo, so all advice just goes out of the window and I just grab whatever is available. Have had to give up glucose tablets as I now have a reaction to one of the ingredients ie. an intense throat irritation. Also react to sweets like Lovehearts. DSN thinks it might be a preservative, but I haven't been able to find out what it is. I never leave the house without sweets like fruit pastilles, a small plastic tub of shortbread fingers and a Yorkie bar with biscuit and raisins. A piece of Yorkie is just right for when I'm walking about and my BG is low normal. Experience shows that I will go hypo without extra CHO, but easy to overdo it, so a Yorkie allows portion control!

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A piece of Yorkie is just right for when I'm walking about and my BG is low normal. Experience shows that I will go hypo without extra CHO, but easy to overdo it, so a Yorkie allows portion control!
When I'm in the UK, I've been known to use a small bit of a peppermint aero when out for a walk. It works well and I quite like it. Tried bringing some back here (to France) but when I went for a walk with it, it melted all over the pocket of my daysac; back to the glucose tabs"

Flakey Bake

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
DAFNE HYPO CORRECTION:

dezeen_Olympic-Logo-a-Day-by-Sarah-Hyndman_11.jpg

NON DAFNE< REAL LIFE HYPO CORRECTION :

overeating.jpg
Oh Lordy, that touch a nerve. He he. I never learn.

alaska

Usually 15g is too much for me and causes me to say hello to results around 12 mmol/l within 15 mins or so.

However, sometimes, such as if having done very intense physical work earlier in the day, I may need to eat a veritable meal's worth of carbs to get sugars back up following a hypo if I haven't adequately accounted for the exercise when taking the next meal's insulin dose.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
16.7, 4 hrs later, since you asked. Yes, the purpose of the Rule of 15 is to prevent rebound highs. I try to stick to 12-16 gCH to treat hypos, but if the situation is worsening rather than stabilising after 5+ minutes then I treat it aggressively. Because I know from bitter experience that I can go from fine to unconscious in that time frame. And I would rather have 100 bad rebounds than one coma.

Ow. So scary, Spiker. Does this happen often? Have you passed out before? And are you all right now?

Lucy

Last edited by a moderator:

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
In practice, my brain doesn't work when I'm hypo, so all advice just goes out of the window and I just grab whatever is available.

That sounds like the point to me. Ow.