scuba diving type 1

holdem

Hi do any of you guys have experience of diving?

Ive done some basic beginner dives in europe and have always declared my diabetes and have had to show my bloods before diving and eat and they were fine.

I was away over christmas and they wouldn't let me dive without some declaration from my diabetic team. I contacted my nurse but she said that the doctors wont be able to get back to me in time till the new year. ( i appreciate a lot of people are off work so i wasn't surprised).

Any tips or advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks

• Hug
Reactions: Juicyj and Antje77

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don’t know if they’ve done scuba diving but @In Response has done some adrenaline type activities, not sure if that includes scuba diving. Hopefully they’ll have an answer for you.

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’ve never done scuba diving but have done a sky dive and did have to get a doctors note to basically say I was okay to sky dive. Most places where you are doing more “extreme” activities will require a fit note because at the end of the day they don’t want to be held liable if something does go wrong in relation to your diabetes, it’s to cover their backs. Some places don’t care but others are very strict on making sure you have documents to prove you are good to go. I would always carry a doctors note just in case they do ask.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for the tag @Rachox.
However, I am more of a land and sky person (climbing, sky-diving, ...) than anything in the water.
Like @Nicola M I needed doctors approval for the sky diving and it came with a cost and a lecture ... but the sky dive was worth it.

Reactions: Rachox

Zinadane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I guess it depends on the level of diving.
I did a touristy scuba in Egypt a few years back. But probably didnt get below 10m and only about 30mins total. I didn't declare, but this was Egypt. Just made sure I was aware of my levels etc.
Obviously a different ball game if it's proper scuba and in Europe I guess.
What depths and timings are you talking about?
I letter from the doctor is a fairly vague statement though and no guarantee of what may happen on the day, but I guess if that keeps them happy then great.
If like me, your probably make sure of a no hypo situation over the hour or so. Of course then you have to deal with the high when your back on land.
Good luck anyway!

holdem

Yeah. i kind of see their worry etc.
Was nothing drastic 12m and for like 60 mins
I will be better armed next time.

Zinadane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You wearing a sensor?
It probably won't appreciate that depth though!
Certainly a shame they don't transmit under water and be able to see bg on your watch.
Perhaps there is some system, unlikely though?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi yes to scuba - albeit some years ago now, depends on the school, they may need a letter from the GP to satisfy their insurance protocols, some will be fine as long as you can advise them that you are well controlled.

Dives take around 40-60 mins depending on how much oxygen is used so planning to go down for that amount of time requires some fore thought, like keeping levels raised above 10 mmol/l, ensuring no active quick acting insulin is on board, having a dive buddy brief so you can indicate to them with a hand signal if you do start to feel like you are going low so they can ascend to the surface with you and ensuring your glucose is easy to access with a crew member on board the boat too as the extra faff could stress you and cause levels to drop further, also note the water temperature can affect how quickly you go low too, I find my body needs extra glucose to stay warm in water. My personal view is to keep levels high as it's easier to bring down a high afterwards than treat a low whilst in the water.

Reactions: Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Thanks for the tag @Antje.
Yes, dive providers do need a doctor’s letter to prove that you’re fit to dive even if your logbook shows you’ve dived recently.
It’s some years since I’ve dived, but like @Juicyj, I found that even in warm water it was safer to have BG at 10 or above before descending.
Do continue to let the dive leader and your buddy know that you have Type One, and how to spot if you’re becoming hypo so they can ascend swiftly but safely with you if required.
I used to let the rest of the group know too and show them where my carb was kept. Liquid carb sources are good. If you’re doing a dive from a boat you may also, if you’re like me, need anti seasick pills - ones that don’t make you drowsy.
I’m very very envious! I stopped diving when my knackety knees made it too difficult, and a subsequent knee replacement, plus a knee that will one day need replacing, plus my age (74) means I probably won’t dive again.
Hope you find a way to get that doctor’s letter soon! It might be quicker if you did as I used to and write out a declaration for them that they can just sign - less time taken on a busy GP day!
Oh to wander about again, beneath the surface, over a reef, watching the daily life of the seas.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m very very envious! I stopped diving when my knackety knees made it too difficult, and a subsequent knee replacement, plus a knee that will one day need replacing, plus my age (74) means I probably won’t dive again.
I'm sorry to hear.
But it might be worth going over the exact issues that make diving impossible at the moment. Maybe there are some possible adjustments you haven't thought of yet, and hopefully you'll be able to see this magical world again with your own eyes!
Would snorkelling be acceptable? This would at least get rid of the heavy equipment, and you can still see a reef in shallow water.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Oh yes, snorkelling is great too and I’ve done some in Greece after the knee replacement. There’s nothing quite like the feeling of weightless freedom in the other world beneath the sea: we know so little about how it feels to live in that larger part of this blue planet.

• Friendly
Reactions: Antje77

holdem

Ah thanks guys some great feedback here. Ive randomly had a sort of routine appointment with my diab nurse today whose advised me on a few suggestions. I am seeing the doc in march and will get a letter sorted then. I missed the chance for the christmas dive but will be better prepared next time.

Cheers