So why should we avoid the amount of carbs currently recommended?

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Happyone posted the original post I was referring to and Brunneria defended the post. so my post was aimed at both.

Ok, but you're still wrong though. You can remove all carbs without becoming ill. Carbohydrates are not an essential nutrient. The body does need some glucose but it can make it itself by gluconeogenesis. 'Essential Nutrient' means something that the body cannot manufacture at all or in large enough quantities by its self (assuming that one is eating all the other essential nutrients). This seems to be something that confuses a lot of people, dieticians in particular. There is a clear difference between making your own glucose in the liver and needing to eat carbohydrates.

It's difficult that to do that but it wouldn't be a problem. There is no deficiency disease for carbohydrate.

p.s. Hello @zand !

Best

Dillinger

Reactions: 12 people

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok, but you're still wrong though. You can remove all carbs without becoming ill. Carbohydrates are not an essential nutrient. The body does need some glucose but it can make it itself by gluconeogenesis. 'Essential Nutrient' means something that the body cannot manufacture at all or in large enough quantities by its self (assuming that one is eating all the other essential nutrients). This seems to be something that confuses a lot of people, dieticians in particular. There is a clear difference between making your own glucose in the liver and needing to eat carbohydrates.

It's difficult that to do that but it wouldn't be a problem. There is no deficiency disease for carbohydrate.

p.s. Hello @zand !

Best

Dillinger

http://www.webmd.com/diet/down-low-on-low-carb-diets

Constipation can make you ill???

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
There is no RDA for carbs, recommended daily allowance. Why? Because they are not essential. Not much grows in snowy climates yet the Inuit haven't died out due to a lack of carbs.

Ali

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Excellent video. Should be made compulsory for all health care professionals

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is a direct quote from the linked article on constipation mentioned above (I have added the bold):

" if you really follow a low-carb diet correctly, you will be replacing those starchy foods with low-carb, high-fiber vegetables -- which should help counter the constipation by providing as much, if not more fiber, than you had before," says Sondike.

Doctors say that eating up to five servings of low-carb vegetables daily -- foods such as broccoli, cauliflower, and lettuce -- can keep your bowels healthy without interfering with weight loss.

If it's still not doing the trick, Sondike says a fiber supplement -- such as Metameucil or FiberCon can help."

My own experience is that I am now eating more veg (and therefore more fibre) than I ever did while higher carb.

There is clearly a dietary requirement for fibre.
But, as shown elsewhere in this thread, not for carbohydrates that digest to glucose.

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat an apple, strawberries, blueberries, rhubarb and lots of non starchy vegetables.Went from 8.3 blood sugar level diagnosis to 5.7 in a year and lost 3 stone. I KNOW that everyone is different but I scratch my head at the thought of a zero, no carb eating plan. There will be a lot of vitamins lost that will have to come from supplements - which I am not against - to keep healthy. Constipation will be a bigger problem???

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When we talk about low carb, or even very low carb, we still have vegetables. I found it was the processed foods that gave me constipation. I can manage the very occasional apple, but stick to berries most of the time. I don't have any supplements either except magnesium sometimes. I also drink lots of water.

Reactions: 7 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
I eat an apple, strawberries, blueberries, rhubarb and lots of non starchy vegetables.Went from 8.3 blood sugar level diagnosis to 5.7 in a year and lost 3 stone. I KNOW that everyone is different but I scratch my head at the thought of a zero, no carb eating plan. There will be a lot of vitamins lost that will have to come from supplements - which I am not against - to keep healthy. Constipation will be a bigger problem???

Again, nobody is suggesting that a zero carb diet is advocated or even possible, not the same thing as saying that carbs are not essential. Carbs are present in small amounts even in salad leaves.

@Brunneria has already pointed out from the link you yourself posted how sufficient fibre is included in a low carb diet, and eating natural unprocessed foods also provide virtually all the vitamins we need. So constipation is a red herring (a good low carb food incidentally).

Reactions: 4 people

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Post #34 Dillenger stated.

unquote

Yes someone has stated that no carbs are possible.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
As carbs are not essential, that means you don't need any. That means it is possible.

That is a different thing from saying you shouldn't eat any or it is necessary not to eat any for diabetes management.

As I said it would be difficult but if you could be bothered it wouldn't be a problem.

I've never suffered from constipation on a low-carb diet. I rather suspect that the notion that low-carbing = constipation is just an assumption based on the 'fact' that whole grains are healthy and are fibrous. Watch the video above where fibre is discussed.

I'm not sure why you are arguing here though other than for the dubious thrill of it?

Reactions: 7 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wonder if the Inuit and Maasai suffer with the dreaded constipation despite their minimal vegetation diets? I suspect not.

Reactions: 8 people

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have to say I am a bit solid and drink like a fish and eat green veg as if it is going out of fashion.... but it's better than it was..... just not looking forward to doing the bowel screening swabs at my next birthday.... catching whoppers is going to be a challenge.....

mekalu2k4

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I do not think zero carb is practically possible, unless someone tries very hard to pick a zero carb diet. Personally I do not know any zero carb diet pattern. All legumes have at least a small percentage of carbs. Foods like boiled red kidney beans, boiled eggs do carry a certain percentage (however low it may be) of carbs.

On top of everything, human bodies do require certain minimum dose of carbs everyday. If we google, most sources indicate that - Actual value of carbs in grams per day ranges from 100g to 300g per day for healthy people. And for T2D this range is about 80-150g (different sites, different values)

One thing is clear - T2D folks should avoid free carb foods (like bread, rice, energy drinks, sodas) which have high glycemic index. These foods cause major damage if consumed daily and in higher doses - . this is obvious. I eat rice on two days of the week, but on those two days I start my day with jogging on treadmill [4 sets of 10min at 4mph, with 2% incline each - 5 min rest between sets] and sweat out a lot. Such training makes me a lot more confident to eat rice. Last 10 months I am on this routine, most of my problems [like cold, constipation etc] are solved. I sleep good too.

Key aspect of most T2D is all about insulin resistance. And this can be bettered through exercise (HIIT High intensity interval training)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
On top of everything, human bodies do require certain minimum dose of carbs everyday. If we google, most sources indicate that - Actual value of carbs in grams per day ranges from 100g to 300g per day for healthy people. And for T2D this range is about 80-150g (different sites, different values)

Yes, that myth is all over the internet - particularly believed by dieticians, I'm afraid. It's responsible for a lot of the dodgy advice given out to put people off ketosis.

Have a look at the video posted above, and read up on gluconeogenesis, and you will see what I mean about it being a myth.

Reactions: 8 people

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As carbs are not essential, that means you don't need any. That means it is possible.

That is a different thing from saying you shouldn't eat any or it is necessary not to eat any for diabetes management.

As I said it would be difficult but if you could be bothered it wouldn't be a problem.

I've never suffered from constipation on a low-carb diet. I rather suspect that the notion that low-carbing = constipation is just an assumption based on the 'fact' that whole grains are healthy and are fibrous. Watch the video above where fibre is discussed.

I'm not sure why you are arguing here though other than for the dubious thrill of it?

I am not thrill seeking. If someone is newly diagnosed and reads that it is possible to live without carbs as you are suggesting then I think you do them no favours if they decide to try. Living without ANY carbs means it is a very restrictive eating plan. They will miss out on tasty vegetables that have lots of nutrients. That wouldn't be thrilling?