So why should we avoid the amount of carbs currently recommended?

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Did anyone watch the Tonight programme on ITV last Thursday 7.30pm, it is on ITV Player at the moment. They took half a dozen people and put them on a LCHF diet. They did blood tests before and after. At the end of the programme when they got the results, the doctor on the programme actually recommended to one of the participants that he should stay on that diet.

Reactions: 2 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not thrill seeking. If someone is newly diagnosed and reads that it is possible to live without carbs as you are suggesting then I think you do them no favours if they decide to try. Living without ANY carbs means it is a very restrictive eating plan. They will miss out on tasty vegetables that have lots of nutrients. That wouldn't be thrilling?

Well I'm sure the newbies would read around a bit and realise that even very low carbers have around 30g carbs a day and that they themselves may well be able to manage on say 80- 100g carbs daily. The lowest I have ever gone in a day is 9g.

Imagine if someone is 8 stones overweight and all their GP keeps saying is "Eat less, exercise more and cut down on fats" That really is soul destroying believe me. I would rather have a restrictive diet that works for weight loss and controlling diabetes than be told the same old things that simply don't work for me. That's really not thrilling. Losing a pound in weight is.

Reactions: 7 people

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
Brilliant vid, thanks, I needed that advice, makes it 100% clear. Word of the day for me is "Gluconeogenesis".

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Have a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketogenic_diet for some information.

It is a while since I looked at this but a diet which is almost all fat can have a significant benefit for epileptics, but studies have found that it it very difficult to make this palatable. However it is a viable option.

With regards to the need for fibre, read http://www.diagnosisdiet.com/ketosis-and-constipation/ for an alternative view.
This is just one site Googled at random - there is more information out there which questions the role of roughage in constipation.

It is dangerous to accept "everyone knows" knowledge from the Internet - even from official bodies such as NICE and Diabetes UK.

Some on this site are following the latest research papers, and are also aware of (un)intended bias built into research projects which reflect the requirements of the funding bodies. If you are selling your services in return for funding you have to pitch to your intended employer.

So people should be aware of options such as very high fat diets including those with little or no roughage.
I don't think anyone here is instructing anyone to follow a specific eating plan - just making people ware that "everyone knows that" isn't always the whole story.

Reactions: 2 people