Staggering (also called running)

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
MID, get plenty of use off road in them if you can. Their off-road shoes have a very sticky, but soft rubber so will wear quickly on the road. You need to be training for off road anyway, so why not start now.

You know the cheapest HR monitors start around £30.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i have no idea if they sell those but out of interest, whatever price you find something for on the internet, go into a "runners need" shop and they match the price, for someone like me that dosent like internet shopping its awesome!

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
I remember you saying that Andy but there are as far as l know no local running shops unless you term JJB who l dont like ... think cause they do lot football stuff and to be honest the grips should have been £94 and they were £54.99 and the Bare 200 again RRP £94 and they were £ 47.49 and last ones in the bare 200 size 5. Was to good a price to miss... and here is me swearing l will never get internet shoes
blush.gif

My next question was going to be about heart rate monitors any recommends? l want cheap but useful and your comment elsewhere about best heart rate to train?

I will start off road in a couple of weeks this week has been bad to train. l have decided l am falling apart at the seams. Bashed my elbow (well assume bashed it) is pretty much ok now but almost unusable for 3 days and bending it for running hurt like hades...had a similar problem once before and was in a sling for a couple of weeks so very wary did not need it escalating.
Thing is neither time l have any recollection of banging it but when happened first time they said l had to have and was no place for it to swell. Not sure if that is true but owwwwwwwwww!!!

Tuesday night my intermittent jaw ache exploded into a sleepless night and course anti B for a tooth root abscess and any jarring caused by faster than a walk. l was worried about my test today but got the pain relief timing right... it hit me after when they gave me a drink of water :( I hate meds took nothing with my elbow but now Ibuprofen/paracetamol profits have gone through the roof over this tooth.
cray2.gif

Elbow, tooth l swear l am worried what number 3 will be l am tiptoeing round the place my head twisting like an owl on steroids to see what l will be hit with next.....

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
aww poor you :(

now stop making excuses lol

my heart rate monitor came with my garmin watch, its good but its also my first so i have nothing to compare it with :)

Reactions: 2 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
oh no lol i hate dentist and tooth ache, im the stereotypical scaredy cat, and now im only allowed paracetamol im not looking forward to the next one

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
I can only take ibuprofen as paracetamol is a waste of time does nothing and knocks me out. Have to say it seemed to work with the ibuprofen though.

Today lot happier just had ibuprofen and been out of a run, starting to feel more like a run less a stagger till last couple of staggers:) Only problem was shoes yesterday on treadmill fine today the right foot was driving me nuts. My 2nd toe is longer than my big toe and was bent no matter what l tried even loosening the shoe laces, was like the shoes were to tight.

Got back kicked off shoes sat down with socks on and realised after a couple of mins it is still going on. The socks are to tight... go figure it could only happen to me
dash1.gif

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Toe Socks.

Sound like a possible case of Morton's Toe.

I'll get back to you on the HR monitor.

nuttybeaver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Selfish people
Morning all. Just staggered 0.9 miles in 13.44 minutes. Starting to struggle, feel as if I'm getting slower. Any advice? Does it make a difference on the time of day you run?

T2, Metformin 850 Mg (1 tablet twice daily), venlafaxine 75mg (1 tablet daily), buscopan 10mg (2 tablets 4 times daily)

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Morning all. Just staggered 0.9 miles in 13.44 minutes. Starting to struggle, feel as if I'm getting slower. Any advice? Does it make a difference on the time of day you run?

T2, Metformin 850 Mg (1 tablet twice daily), venlafaxine 75mg (1 tablet daily), buscopan 10mg (2 tablets 4 times daily)

hiya, yes the time definitely matters, in the week after work i run slower than the weekends and also mornings i tend to run better than evenings etc etc but it think its personal to you, and which your body prefers

a few tips id give you are, running regular will build up you ability to breath, when i first started my lungs didn't want to play, i was basically suffocating, running regularly will improve this even if its short sharp bursts, you lungs will love it, then breathing techniques are important, I've read a lot about this and adopted the in in out out with my feet method, so left foot breath in right foot breath in left foot breath out right foot breath out, this is really weird at first but once you get used to it its awesome, i was running 5k park runs and sounded like an asthmatic hippo, it was embarrassing but once i read about the breathing it was much better and it becomes second nature, then you have to think about how and where your feet land, you basically want your feet to hit the ground under your body and not out in front of you, so you effectively lift your legs up behind you and back down again without them ever going out in front, if you overstride and your feet land in front of you, you are breaking with each step and this is hard work, also try to land softly, this will as you increase your distance hopefully reduce the shock to your legs and body, i would recommend going out and practising your form and breathing rather than worrying about how far you are running, you will find that the distance comes on its own and you feel great so want to keep going, id suggest searching youtube there are a gazillion running technique and running everything else on there, i picked up loads of tips, but remember its the internet and like the advice I'm giving you now, has to be taken as a personal experience and not the gospel :)

the more you run the better you will get is my reckoning, once you up your distance a little its also very important to have rest days though to let your muscles repair themselves, also id say try not to run on a full stomach, it gives you a stitch or does me anyway, also consider once you've done your run and are knackered rather than heading home keep walking briskly and recover then have another little go maybe another half of what you've already done, it all helps build up the stamina

Fantastic job on your 0.9 miles :)

there are cool smart phone apps if you don't already have them, i like nike + or runtastic which also links to myfitnesspal if you use that, but there are loads and check out "mapmyrun" its very cool

hopefully some of this made sense :) good luck!

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Did you just say your word isn't gospel Andy?

**** :(

Blogging at drivendiabetic.wordpress.com

Reactions: 3 people

nuttybeaver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Selfish people
Thanks for the advice Andy. Getting the breathing right is what I'm struggling with especially as I wear dentures that don't fit properly, dentist will make new ones this summer as still settling in.

I didn't realise how good I'd feel, got more energy plus skin is looking alot better. Wish I'd done it years ago ;)

Considering this is only my first week don't feel that I'm doing too bad :D

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Considering this is only my first week don't feel that I'm doing too bad

Its fantastic! :D:D:D

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Thanks Dave and interesting they talk about padding under the main toe. Could explain my bad knees will look into that. l have heard of greek toe but never realised it could do so much.

Hey NuttyBeaver :) never mind the stagger it can only improve and you are doing great. When l was in the dentist reading a running magazine and it said the same as Andy train at the time of day you are most awake.

With our PT we go first thing and l am not a morning person and l feel it more. I do my main training at night and am able to do more. However running will be first thing and l understand the loss of propulsion l had that today on my last 2 repeats, as opposed to every 20sec run/day since l started. So l know l am getting better.

nuttybeaver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Selfish people
I find it better for me in the morning when everyone has gone to work/school, plus it gives me the encouragement to carry on. By the afternoon it's wind down time apart from Friday when I have Scouts. Best bit is I can see the improvement in my health too.

:):):):):):):):)

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
depends what you're doing as well. I always fidn steady state stuff best for the morning. Intervals and speedwork are generally best left until you're fully woken up and all natural functions haev been established

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the advice Andy. Getting the breathing right is what I'm struggling with especially as I wear dentures that don't fit properly, dentist will make new ones this summer as still settling in.

I didn't realise how good I'd feel, got more energy plus skin is looking alot better. Wish I'd done it years ago ;)

Considering this is only my first week don't feel that I'm doing too bad :D

anyone who gets out there and puts one foot in front of the other isn't doing bad.

That's teh first psychological hurdle overcome. The next one is making it such a habit that if you don't do it it feels weird

Reactions: 4 people

nuttybeaver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Selfish people
Hi elydave. I'm just trying to get fitter without spending lots on gyms. I'm also doing a race for life on 1 June (5k) a big thing for me as a beginner to running. It's also my motivation to keep going :D

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Thanks about the breathing Andy l forsee my next lot is going to get a bit more ungainly while l coordinate things
Ohh Andy and Nutty you may like this found it about our optimum heart rate how to work it out. I recon it is pretty spot on because yesterday on the treadmill at the hospital they got to the end with me collapsed gasping and they said my HR was excellent at 160 and the calculator above ^ says it should be 169.

Is it just me but bad habits are dead easy to pick up. Good habits are the hardest thing to get

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
This link to a Harvard prof explaining biomech of running barefoot v shoes may be of interest. I have learnt a lot just with this and thinking that as it is the cold that was getting my feet hence the training shoes l just bought, maybe l will try wearing socks need to look for something to keep them up though damp socks always pull off. The soles of my feet are always ok it (cold) seeps downwards then l get a problem.