Struggling

A17

I've been type 1 for over 50 years, and also diagnosed with ME, 2015. I don't really know how to put this in words. I feel, so out of control of everything, bloods range out so bad. My Dad's v elderly, in hospital after a very bad fall beginning of December.
I am trying to do this, but I honestly can't. I'm not doing anything to help, I find it hard to get out of bed. I'm not a stupid person, but I really want to end this, I'm so tired.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @A17 I am so sorry you have two chronic conditions and a sick parent. It's not at all surprising if circumstances are making you feel depressed. Are you able to get any help from the medical profession and/or friends/family?

Reactions: Hopeful34 and A17

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Try and remember that when you're stressed your blood sugars rise and that in itself makes you feel awful. You have a huge amount to deal with at the moment and I'm not surprised you feel overwhelmed.

One step at a time.....

Have you taken your long lasting insulin? Don't aim for perfection because your body sounds like it isn't going to help you out much right now. Hang on in there xx

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
You’re the victim of circumstance, as well as health @A17 and it’s enough to make any of us feel we’re unable to go on. But please don’t do anything drastic. If you’re in the U.K. maybe you can take a few small steps to make your situation better: reach out to friends, to family, and ask for help; ring your doctor and ask for help; ring the hospital where your father is and ask if the PALS service can step in to give him some support while you’re unwell. Sometimes, acting to address a situation is a step towards making things better. More control. You’ve taken the first step in contacting us here and I, for one, am also sending a bag of virtual hugs to you.
Have you visited your father in hospital? Is it possible you’ve picked up a virus while you were there, or from any other source? This, as well as stress, could be affecting your blood sugars.
Please go on talking to us and let us know how you are.

A17

Thank you . My dad is ill, going home? With hyperactive delirium?. I said I can't deal with this. He's still being sent home. Sister says, if I can do it so can you, she's a senior nurse. She's good at her job. I have said for 18 years I have ME to deal with and diabetes, type 1 how far do you go to prove your not great , not looking for anything, but, am I being unrealistic? I'm in Scotland, he's in England. V tired.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @A17 Sorry to hear what you are going through, that's alot to deal with. This sister is not acting with your best interests at heart which is unfortunate, do you have other family members who can help with your dad ? Can you go above her head, say to a doctor to discuss this, being sent home with hyperactive delirium sounds unethical as it's not in his best interests or yours and she's certainly not seeing this from your point of view.

How is your general mood today and are you feeling slightly better, also BG levels are they more manageable now ?

Feel free to PM me for a chat if you need to off load, but getting support from family members and your diabetic team is vital for you right now, take care.

BigAlan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stupid people.

"Intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people are not offended."

Author unkown
Thank you . My dad is ill, going home? With hyperactive delirium?. I said I can't deal with this. He's still being sent home. Sister says, if I can do it so can you, she's a senior nurse. She's good at her job. I have said for 18 years I have ME to deal with and diabetes, type 1 how far do you go to prove your not great , not looking for anything, but, am I being unrealistic? I'm in Scotland, he's in England. V tired.
I have done a quick Google for help in scotland. This link looks helpful. Why not give them a ring? They may be able to help you NOW, ASAP but also get other help south of the border such as social care, respite, vulnerable adult help for you dad.

Think hard of one thing that you love, makes you smile, gives you hope etc and when you are down, think of that happy thought. It helped me so it may certainly help you.
Good luck.

For help in England and Wales ring 111 and speak to them. The team that take your call are the same team that does 999 so you know you are in good hands.

Reactions: Marie 2

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
There should be a care plan for your father @A17 and levels of support required assessed.
The link below may give you an idea of what questions to ask the Sister: if she knows you have an understanding of what’s required she may be more compliant with regulations.
Ask her who has assessed your father; who’s drawn up the care plan; what service providers have been contacted.
Be firm in saying that you are unable to travel from Scotland to England, that you are unable to care for your father.
It seems that the Sister is trying to bully you, to force you to do things you’re unable to.

Rushkami

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been type 1 for over 50 years, and also diagnosed with ME, 2015. I don't really know how to put this in words. I feel, so out of control of everything, bloods range out so bad. My Dad's v elderly, in hospital after a very bad fall beginning of December.
I am trying to do this, but I honestly can't. I'm not doing anything to help, I find it hard to get out of bed. I'm not a stupid person, but I really want to end this, I'm so tired.
Believe me I relate. Its small steps and posting on this forum is a definite step. If you get out of bed great! Win for the day! If you didn't then see it as what it is, rest your body is telling you you desperately need. Try to lean into it, get comfy with pillows and read/watch something/play games on your phone/just sleep.

You are going through a lot and your brain and body need to process it all. Forget about bloods for a minute, eat something nutritious that you enjoy because your body deserves things that make it feel good and healthy. And if you need chocolate aswell then have it, its small steps that will lead your mind and body to recover and want to be healthier in your habits.

Don't let yourself be bullied into caring for your dad if you know it will not be good for either of you. I was made to feel bad about not dropping my life and work to move to England to care for my mom. I'm not a nurse, I'd be a terrible one so why should I have put either of us through that?

I hope your dad heals and gets the care he needs and I hope you do too! Look after yourself, you deserve it even if you don't feel you do right now ❤️

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @A17 you've picked a quiet time of day to post as most of the UK forumites are asleep.

I hear you and have deep sympathy for your issues. What's happening with you and your dad now?

Reactions: Marie 2 and A17

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi again @A17 (sorry I was out for a bit).

So are you still in Scotland and your dad is on the UK? I know it's hard when you are trying to look after both yourself and loved ones.

In theory your diabetic team should be able to help you with your diabetes, but I know some clinics are better than others. (I left the UK in 1999 so do not have personal experience with current UK T1 care, though they were wonderful for 30 years before that.

Reactions: Marie 2

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@A17 Depression is such a hard thing. And we as type 1's are more prone to it. Sometimes just understanding we have a right to be depressed over certain things is helpful or that a lot of the time it can be brought on by feeling not in control. Please get help. I just don't know about Scotland, but some above have provided you links and please use whatever is helpful. Sometimes just making that call will make you feel like you accomplished something and feel a little better.

Many many hugs.