patchworks101

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being diabetic
Hi

I'm using OneTouch Verio IQ with the relevant testing strips but I've been having several 'strip read failures' recently. It can be as high as 1 in 10 in a box of 100 or as low as 1 in 25 but I would say that even 4% failure rate is too high.
This is only a recent problem (over the course of the last year) and I had no problems before that. My meter is 4 years old so I'm wondering if this is an indicator of a problem with the meter or is there a problem with the testing strips?
Anyone else had a similar problem?

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @patchworks101 I don't use the metre you name, I have an AccuChek Aviva Expert, but I do sometimes seem to get 'dodgy boxes' where lots will give 'strip error'. Does that metre have a battery you replace? When mine is coming up to needing the battery replacing, the frequency of errors seems to increase a lot. The age of the metre could be a factor, also have the strips been anywhere particularly hot or cold? Mine seem to be extremely picky. Over the winter, it's been quite cold where I am, and I have thrown so many away it is not even funny.

Hope you get a more 'expert' answer, and if not that gives you something to chew on anyway

:)

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I would ring the meter manufacturer first ( hopefully they will send you a new meter )

I would then ring your DSN -- who will most likely also send you a new meter

4 years is pretty good going for a meter.

that is a high failure rate !!

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I had a verio IQ and did not like it. Lots of strip errors and it read high. At least 1 mmol higher than it should as tested against the lab.

Dairygrade

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Hi like chalup I too had a verio iq meter in the end I was wasting more strips then I was using so just changed meters?

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I have a contour next now and I love it. It is very accurate as tested against the lab and takes very little blood. I almost never get strip errors, like once out of every 10 boxes.

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I use a contour next usb meter and have never had a test strip error as I can't remember the last time I ever have as I have only used the one meter and it is accurate and it has never given me a false reading or a failure but I have used accu-chek and I won't use them much again as they seem to give off a false reading and are slightly out for a result for your sugars

patchworks101

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being diabetic
Many thanks to everyone who has replied. It looks like the concensus of opinion is - get a different meter.
Thanks again.