Told NOT to test BG and I must eat carbs.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Have got to go on a low fat diet because of cholesterol,low fat,low carbs what is there left to eat I ask myself.
Well, my LCHF diet improved my cholesterol numbers and triglyceride numbers to the best they've been in 20 years after only a couple of months. :dead: There is quite a bit of recent research that is debunking the dietary fat-heart disease link.

Reactions: 6 people

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have got to go on a low fat diet because of cholesterol,low fat,low carbs what is there left to eat I ask myself.
I also have heart problems but have found on the LCHF just swapping all the low fats in my diet for regular fat has reduced my cholesterol levels so much my statin dose has been reduced, with a view to cut them altogether !

Reactions: 9 people

secundaw

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just so confusing,one doctor gives you a testing kit,other doctor says you don't need it unless you are having insulin,nurse says make sure you have plenty of carbs as it turns to sugar which you need to keep healthy,other people say cut the carbs ad it keeps the bs down, just plain confusing.

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

My cholesterol also improved. Low carb should lower the trigs which are the nasty things. I eat dairy fats, I fry stuff. I don't go overboard but I never actively avoid fats.

secundaw

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Surely you should be changing from normal fats to low fats to reduce cholesterol,as I keep saying confusing.

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
nurse says make sure you have plenty of carbs as it turns to sugar which you need to keep healthy

Did she really say that? I really have heard it all now, can't believe people are actually paid a salary to say that sort of ****.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Surely you should be changing from normal fats to low fats to reduce cholesterol,as I keep saying confusing.

I suggest you read up on the latest research that says good fats are not the baddies in this. I was on low fat products. Now I'm on real fats my cholesterol has improved.

Reactions: 5 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables

It is confusing because it goes against "common" sense. However, the proof is in the pudding (pun intended).:hungry: I will say that a high carb/low fat diet will improve cholesterol numbers, but a LCHF will improve them even better without spiking your blood sugar. And low carb will really reduce the triglyceride levels in your blood.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Here is a simple explanation @secundaw

When you eat carbohydrates and fats together your blood stream carries the fats around your body to deliver the fat to your fat cells for storage for later use. To do this it creates the triglycerides and you bad cholesterol goes up. If you go low carb your body doesnt store the fats in your fat cells (well not as much as it is burning the fat for energy instead of the carb)

So your choice is low carb + higher levels of fats or low fat (and I mean low - minimum amounts for your body)+ higher levels of carbs. This latter choice will be hard as it will raise your blood glucose levels but isnt impossible if you choose your carbs carefully, but the Low Carb is a much easier to follow as a D

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Just so confusing,one doctor gives you a testing kit,other doctor says you don't need it unless you are having insulin,nurse says make sure you have plenty of carbs as it turns to sugar which you need to keep healthy,other people say cut the carbs ad it keeps the bs down, just plain confusing.

It does seem like the government is trying to kill us type 2s slowly :dead: by telling us to eat carbs and don't test. I don't get that either.

Reactions: 5 people

secundaw

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes she did I thought you ate less carbs to lower your levels,they give such conflicting advise.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
So after diagnosis 3 years ago I got exactly the same lecture about testing and carbs. 3 years on low carb and nowadays occasional testing it was the best decision I ever made. I have an excellent hba1c, normal cholesterol and blood pressure and lost a lot of weight easily and pretty quickly. Just do what works and eat to your meter

Reactions: 11 people

Steve_p

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who aren't nice, just for the sake of it.
I was diagnosed on 22 sept my bs was 14.9 and my other one was 104 instead of 42 I instantly cut out fizzy drinks,chocolate and cut my bread intake from 8/10 slices a day,I am on Metformin 3 times a day have lost about 10lb in weight but levels have only gone down to 10.7 before eating today after evening meal went up to 14, I know bread is one of my problems but just love it, don't know what to replace it with,I'm a fussy eater anyway.

Have you tried making your own? I make wholemeal with spelt, sling in a few seeds. Use agave nectar instead of sugar. . . . . Only a thought, it worked for me. Took me about 2 months to get from 17.8 down to 5.4, don't let the results control you if you can help it, with the right food, exercise and meds, this can be controlled.

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
It does seem like the government is trying to kill us type 2s slowly :dead: by telling us to eat carbs and don't test. I don't get that either.
Haha! Yeah, never thought of that! I suppose its one way of reducing the drain on the NHS caused by us lot!

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
It is confusing when you get contradicting advice but not once you realise that some of what you are being told is just wrong; on the your quote I'd break it down like this:

Just so confusing,one doctor gives you a testing kit Right!

other doctor says you don't need it unless you are having insulin Wrong! You cannot 'feel' what your blood sugars are; as a diabetic the key problem is a failure to properly regulate our blood sugars, we need to know what they are to regulate them; therefore you need to be able to test.

nurse says make sure you have plenty of carbs as it turns to sugar which you need to keep healthy Wrong! Idiotically wrong for a diabetic. The body needs a small amount of glucose to function properly; this can be made by your body in the liver from protein (or can be eaten). There are deficiency diseases for protein and fat there are no deficiency diseases for carbohydrate that is because glucose (which all carbohydrate turns into) is not an 'essential' nutrient - meaning a nutrient that we cannot make for ourselves.

other people say cut the carbs as it keeps the bs down Right! All carbs turn into glucose if as diabetics we have trouble metabolising carbs/glucose (which we all do otherwise we wouldn't be diabetic) then the less carbs you eat the more stable your blood sugar will be.

, just plain confusing.

Hope that helps to clear that up for you!

Best

Dillinger

Reactions: 9 people

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is confusing because it goes against "common" sense. However, the proof is in the pudding (pun intended).:hungry: I will say that a high carb/low fat diet will improve cholesterol numbers, but a LCHF will improve them even better without spiking your blood sugar. And low carb will really reduce the triglyceride levels in your blood.
If you change 'common sense" to brain washed into thinking .. It makes more sence .. I was told or should I say ordered to eat carbs .. Drink fizzy drinks and eat lots of fruit . Low fat everything . My DBN sent my sugar from. Low 6.0 to 23.+ in three months .. I also put on a stone + in weight .. Then the wife stepped in ... I now have my own meter .. Eat LCHF .. Lost 4 stone bs in low 5.0 now had the meds stopped (I am T2) also my cholesterol levels are lower than ever .... I watch in dismay a friend who is still following orders from the Dr .. His health is failing before my eyes, but he and his family still think the Dr knows best. Needless to say I no longe think this. :banghead:

Reactions: 8 people

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
nurse says make sure you have plenty of carbs as it turns to sugar which you need to keep healthy

OK, but the nurse and I would disagree as to how little "plenty" is:woot:
Did she really say that? I really have heard it all now, can't believe people are actually paid a salary to say that sort of ****.
Really, haven't you seen how much they pay MPs:wideyed:

Reactions: 6 people

Blueszoo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Finally got to a diabetic clinic meeting. I never said much about what I had been learning from books and the internet, I explained that I had been testing my BG on a regular basis and they asked me why? I explained that I like to know what was going on, and that some days even though it would seem that the metformin is working as it was below 10, there are some days when it spikes into the teens, this is when I will go a walk and try to get this down. I was basically given a telling off and felt like a naughty child, I was told to stop testing my BG alltogether and that I should just trust that the meds are working. They went on to chat about food and asked the group what we were eating, I explained I was cutting down on carbs to reduce my BG and that was working, I was shot down again and I was told this is nonscence and I must eat carbs every time I eat anything. I was even told to take a high carb snack with me where ever I go because "Carbs regulate my blood sugar" I just kind of zoned out after that, I felt like I couldn't do right for doing wrong... You know? That feeling?

I feel like ****, really deflated, I thought I was doing good and this has hit me hard.

Hallo EveryCloud,

As many others have said, you are doing the sensible thing and they are spouting unbelievable rubbish. So don't let the idiots put you down and feel bad about yourself - just feel scorn for these dopes, as most of us do. I don't know if you have heard of Dr Richard Bernstein? He is an American engineer who then trained as a doctor so he could control his diabetes. His book on diabetic control (Diabetes Solution) is a must read - see what he says about being recommended carbohydrates!!! I go to appointments with the GP and DN and nod and agree, then go home and manage myself as I have always done, with frequent monitoring and very ,very little carbs intake. Remember that Newcastle experiment where they reversed Type 2 by keeping a cohort of patients on 600 cals a day diet? No room for too many carbs there!

BWs

Reactions: 4 people