Told NOT to test BG and I must eat carbs.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My mum had the same problem when she told them the sun didn't revolve around the earth. any idiot can see the sun rise and set, it's obvious she needed her internet connection cancelled.

Reactions: 4 people

Blueszoo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I am starting to get a feeling that in a few years there are going to be a number of 'miracle' patients. All of us agreeing with the HCP that we eat carbs, don't monitor and take the meds prescribed, then we all go home do our own thing and keep our blood sugar under control by doing so. I can just see the headlines 'Doctors Baffled by Rise in Non Progressive Diabetes. Unfortunately it will also back up the advise that they are giving people if they don't know that we aren't following it.

Having said that I am not going to be shouting out to my nurse that I am reduced carbing and self testing, not after the disapproval last time.

Hi Ruth B,
This is so true, but what else can we do? Harm our bodies by following their staggeringly bad & dangerous "advice"? I also do not take the statin prescxribed to me, and try to control the lipids by low carbing. The harm done by statins is enough to make me wary! I would also like to be tested for phaeochromacytoma, as I have a few other probs as well. I wonder how many people are misdiagnosed, because the quacks immediately start dishing out pills, without looking for physical reasons for the sudden changes in one's health.

Blueszoo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
This is why I like these forums, I always thought I was the only one to have any problems with a GP. When I had a heart attack in the Drs office I was told to go home I was only having an panic attack ! The hospital went ballistic when I told them .. Have a fair bit of damage to my heart now caused by panic attacks!
Edit to add .. My life's to short to get into a fight with the medical staff

Hi Enclave and Dibbles,
I think there are many of us with problematic ignorant GPs.
My partner has colon cancer and I hustled for a full blood count to be done, as he was severely anaemic and nobody was looking out for him (his GP was off sick herself for quite a while) My GP rang me to tell me off, saying I couldn't expect a nurse to explain a FBC to me! I signed the Hippocratic oath in 1969 - before this GP was born - did Fellowship in Immunohaematology, and worked in Haematology for nigh on 40 yrs. What part do I need explained to me? These dopes know nothing about their patients She then noticed his haemoglobin was 77 and her attitude changed abruptly. Funny that! I don't see this GP any more and see my partner's GP as she IS willing to do a good job.
Take care of your heart, Enclave - I do hope you have a good doc now, helping you with this. I have all the symtoms of IST, so I went to this same GP who commented on my Holter results, that 3 hrs + of my heart rate being over 130 bpm, was "relatively normal". What the Holter didn't show is that I was gasping for breath and couldn't move for much of that time - oh, very normal!! She mused upon the fact that at 2 a.m. my heart rate shot up to 140+ , so I said sarcastically, that I must have been doing calisthenics in my sleep. I self-medicate now and buy my drugs from Mexico.
I expect there are thousands of us with totally inadequate GPs and ,yes, doctors are dangerous - and being paid handsomely too. I suppose complaints to their professional body might help, but until my partner is well again, I fear reprisals.

Reactions: 2 people

Blueszoo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Its awful they need to advise the party line due to NICE guidlines for insurance policy. But its so wrong

Quite so, Alliebee, but what do they make of the Newcastle study that took a small cohort of recently diagnosed Type 2s, and reversed the diabetes after maintaining them on a 600 cal per day diet? I wonder if they ever read new papers being published?

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Enclave and Dibbles,
I think there are many of us with problematic ignorant GPs.
My partner has colon cancer and I hustled for a full blood count to be done, as he was severely anaemic and nobody was looking out for him (his GP was off sick herself for quite a while) My GP rang me to tell me off, saying I couldn't expect a nurse to explain a FBC to me! I signed the Hippocratic oath in 1969 - before this GP was born - did Fellowship in Immunohaematology, and worked in Haematology for nigh on 40 yrs. What part do I need explained to me? These dopes know nothing about their patients She then noticed his haemoglobin was 77 and her attitude changed abruptly. Funny that! I don't see this GP any more and see my partner's GP as she IS willing to do a good job.
Take care of your heart, Enclave - I do hope you have a good doc now, helping you with this. I have all the symtoms of IST, so I went to this same GP who commented on my Holter results, that 3 hrs + of my heart rate being over 130 bpm, was "relatively normal". What the Holter didn't show is that I was gasping for breath and couldn't move for much of that time - oh, very normal!! She mused upon the fact that at 2 a.m. my heart rate shot up to 140+ , so I said sarcastically, that I must have been doing calisthenics in my sleep. I self-medicate now and buy my drugs from Mexico.
I expect there are thousands of us with totally inadequate GPs and ,yes, doctors are dangerous - and being paid handsomely too. I suppose complaints to their professional body might help, but until my partner is well again, I fear reprisals.
Thank you, I look after my own health care now.. don't fancy another heart bypass op so don't need the Dr any more !!! but sometimes it would be good to ave some where medic wise to turn to.

Blueszoo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
I am so upset. I was diagnosed with type II on 8 Sept 2014 and put on Metformin a week later. My readings were 66 and 8.2 however you like to read it. I have cut out sugar (apart from a bit of fruit), stopped drinking alcohol, stopped smoking, started going to the gym and have lost half a stone in weight. I was given a meter this morning and did a check after fasting and my BG was 8.4. I don't understand I have been so good. I only had broccoli and stilton soup (homemade) with oatcakes last night. I feel like going home stuffing my face with cream cakes, opening a bottle of wine and smoking a packet of cigarettes seems to keep my BG lower

Hi JSale,
Don't worry about this morning fasting result. I used to wonder why my pre-breakfast results had shown a rise from the previous night's level, but is is apparantly a paradoxical finding. I don't bother with it now, and just monitor my post food status to check that my meds are doing what they should!

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Quite so, Alliebee, but what do they make of the Newcastle study that took a small cohort of recently diagnosed Type 2s, and reversed the diabetes after maintaining them on a 600 cal per day diet? I wonder if they ever read new papers being published?
I asked my DBN about the Newcastle diet .. her reply was "never heard of it .. it will just be a load of poppycock" .. eat more carbs and drink fizzy drinks ..along with lots of fruit .. I think she was trying to kill me, and almost did !!!!1

Blueszoo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Thank you, I look after my own health care now.. don't fancy another heart bypass op so don't need the Dr any more !!! but sometimes it would be good to ave some where medic wise to turn to.

I know what you mean, Enclave. I was referred to the local Cardiac Dept. Decent old buffer, but absolutely useless. You feel so lonely without a wise doc to consult. It really saddened me to observe how the standard of care in the NHS plunged so badly.

Blueszoo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Have got to go on a low fat diet because of cholesterol,low fat,low carbs what is there left to eat I ask myself.

The medical profession scorns the Atkins diet which will normalise your lipids. I was amused to read an admission in The Times, that they were forced to admit that the Atkins diet did indeed control lipid probs, after having pooh-poohed it. It also helps to manage diabetes.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I know what you mean, Enclave. I was referred to the local Cardiac Dept. Decent old buffer, but absolutely useless. You feel so lonely without a wise doc to consult. It really saddened me to observe how the standard of care in the NHS plunged so badly.
I also have heart problems ! It is sad that help is out there but only if the Drs are willing to help !

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't praise the NHS enough for what they did to me during my breast cancer. Caught on a national breast screening programme, surgery within 2 weeks, chemo shortly after that, radiotherapy shortly after that, Herceptin infusions every 3 weeks for 12 months at a cost of £1600 a time, chemo nurses amazing, oncologist amazing, radiologists amazing, local District Nurses amazing, my GP amazing. Top class.

Reactions: 12 people

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't praise the NHS enough for what they did to me during my breast cancer. Caught on a national breast screening programme, surgery within 2 weeks, chemo shortly after that, radiotherapy shortly after that, Herceptin infusions every 3 weeks for 12 months at a cost of £1600 a time, chemo nurses amazing, oncologist amazing, radiologists amazing, local District Nurses amazing, my GP amazing. Top class.
Wow, bluetit, you got a great team looking after you there, hope you can sing their praises in every way .. It's not something you come accross every day. The hospital that did my heart op were amazing .. But the Drs back up was dismal ... I fact it was only my getting a second opinion that got me to the hospital, my dr insisting my heart attacks were nothing more than stress attacks, andto quote my dr ... I was lying about i how I felt .. Right moved 600 miles away from there and I still have rubbish medical support !!!! It must be me ! :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It just goes to show what inequality there is between NHS Trusts, but if one area can get it right, so could all the others. Having said that, the diabetes advice is just as poor as elsewhere!

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes. Been there and done that. Different cancer super treatment

Reactions: 3 people

Limelight

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Finally got to a diabetic clinic meeting. I never said much about what I had been learning from books and the internet, I explained that I had been testing my BG on a regular basis and they asked me why? I explained that I like to know what was going on, and that some days even though it would seem that the metformin is working as it was below 10, there are some days when it spikes into the teens, this is when I will go a walk and try to get this down. I was basically given a telling off and felt like a naughty child, I was told to stop testing my BG alltogether and that I should just trust that the meds are working. They went on to chat about food and asked the group what we were eating, I explained I was cutting down on carbs to reduce my BG and that was working, I was shot down again and I was told this is nonscence and I must eat carbs every time I eat anything. I was even told to take a high carb snack with me where ever I go because "Carbs regulate my blood sugar" I just kind of zoned out after that, I felt like I couldn't do right for doing wrong... You know? That feeling?

I feel like ****, really deflated, I thought I was doing good and this has hit me hard.
I was diagnosed Type2 In June and told Atkins diet was a definite NO! I subsequently had an appointment with a dietician who told me I should have three meals a day evenly spaced and to include about 50 gms of carbohydrate per meal (a total of 150gm daily). I have tried to follow that advice by eating two slices of granary toast or Ready Brek for breakfast, a sandwich made from two slices of the same bread with some protein and salad for lunch and meat, fish or chicken with green veg and a few new potatoes for evening meal. SO far since diagnosis I have lost 13 kilos and my HbA1c has dropped from 7.3 to 6.4. My doctor says I can continue as I am without any medication. I don't eat sweets, cakes or biscuits except for the odd occasion (like my recent birthday) when I allow myself a small treat and I have a 10 calorie jelly pot with some berries if I want a dessert. Am I just incredibly lucky that this seems to be working for me?

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I was diagnosed Type2 In June and told Atkins diet was a definite NO! I subsequently had an appointment with a dietician who told me I should have three meals a day evenly spaced and to include about 50 gms of carbohydrate per meal (a total of 150gm daily). I have tried to follow that advice by eating two slices of granary toast or Ready Brek for breakfast, a sandwich made from two slices of the same bread with some protein and salad for lunch and meat, fish or chicken with green veg and a few new potatoes for evening meal. SO far since diagnosis I have lost 13 kilos and my HbA1c has dropped from 7.3 to 6.4. My doctor says I can continue as I am without any medication. I don't eat sweets, cakes or biscuits except for the odd occasion (like my recent birthday) when I allow myself a small treat and I have a 10 calorie jelly pot with some berries if I want a dessert. Am I just incredibly lucky that this seems to be working for me?

I would say that what you have done is, to a point, working for you.:woot: Reducing calorie intake such that you lose 13 kg has no doubt reduced the fat level in your liver and reduced your insulin resistance. However, I'm wondering what 50 g of carbs in one meal does to your blood glucose - for me it spikes it above non-diabetic levels. Do you have a meter and do you test after meals and in the morning before eating? If so, what are your levels? I think I had a similar experience with weight loss improving my HbA1c value. Then I went low carb high fat and it got even better - enough that I'm off metformin at a doctor's recommendation. I think the question is: could you get your blood glucose levels to within normal (i.e. below prediabetic) levels with even lower carb intake? :jimlad: I think maybe you could. It's not like you're going to die if you skip the potatoes at dinner.

Another comment I would make is that 150 g of carbs a day is below what the official government dietary recommendation, unless your calorie intake is less than 1300 per day. You got lucky that the dietitian didn't recommend even more carbs.

Everyone is different, so 150 g carbs a day may work for you, but not everyone. And lower than 150 g a day may work even better for you. :cyclops:

Blueszoo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type

You were indeed, blessed to have that good care, Bluetit - as you know not everybody does. It's really encouraging to know that there are excellent medics out there still. I truly believe it is the length of time between discovery and surgery that is the life saver. In 1967 my Mum went to her GP, who rang the hospital to arrange her care. She had a simple mastectomy, and then went home after convalescence. No chemo, no radiotherapy. no anything else. My Mum will be 99 yrs old next February and I put it down to the swift actions of the medical team - like yours!

Reactions: 3 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That was brilliant for your mum, @Blueszoo. Cancer treatment was very basic in those days. Nowadays most women don't even have mastectomies because the tumours are being caught early enough for them to be removed successfully by very clever breast saving surgery. I wish your mum well. Incredible that she is approaching 99! :)

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnId on 22 sept my bs was 14.9 and my other one was 104 instead of 42 I instantly cut out fizzy drinks,chocolate and cut my bread intake from 8/10 slices a day,I am on Metformin 3 times a day have lost about 10lb in weight but levels have only gone down to 10.7 before eating today after evening meal went up to 14, I know bread is one of my problems but just love it, don't know what to replace it with,I'm a fussy eater anyway.
I know what you mean about bread, I also love potatoes but Ive gone cold turkey on them both, and I've found that now the poison is out of my system I no longer crave them :)