Type 1 Type 1 Diabetes and moving to Australia

xenquilityy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi there,
I had a couple questions as I’m looking at doing the Australian Working Holiday Visa for a couple years and wanted to see if someone with type 1 diabetes or that may know someone could support me in finding out if you require health insurance or you’re supported by medicare there, and how appointments etc would work, and even prescriptions.

Thank you,
Raymond

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve no idea myself but I'll tag in @VashtiB who is in Australia, hopefully she’ll be able to help you.

• Agree
Reactions: Antje77 and filly

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there,
I had a couple questions as I’m looking at doing the Australian Working Holiday Visa for a couple years and wanted to see if someone with type 1 diabetes or that may know someone could support me in finding out if you require health insurance or you’re supported by medicare there, and how appointments etc would work, and even prescriptions.

Thank you,
Raymond
Hi @xenquilityy , I'll tag @EllieM who doesn't live in Australia anymore but has lived their for a long time and moved there from the UK.

Reactions: Rachox

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi there,

Thank you,
Raymond

Hi and welcome to the forums
Have a look at the NDSS website, which gives diabetics access to free/subsidised supplies

You shouldn't need private health insurance as long as you are covered by medicare (disclaimer do your own due diligence on this)

You get insulin/prescriptions from a GP. If you can register with one that "bulk bills" you won't pay to see them, but in practice you may have to pay a top up fee for appointments.

If you're going to be there for a couple of years you'll want ypur GP to refer you to a hospital clinic or to a private endocrinologist.

Not sure what the status is on pumps atm (I'm MDI). As I remember it (6 years ago) a pump using friend had his private health insurance pay for the pump but all the consumables were covered. I suggest you check on the NDSS website. Private health insurance paid for his pump but I think they exclude pre-existing conditions for a while , so you might need to pay for the pump if it goes out of warranty during your stay?

• Informative
Reactions: Antje77

xenquilityy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi and welcome to the forums
Have a look at the NDSS website, which gives diabetics access to free/subsidised supplies

You shouldn't need private health insurance as long as you are covered by medicare (disclaimer do your own due diligence on this)

You get insulin/prescriptions from a GP. If you can register with one that "bulk bills" you won't pay to see them, but in practice you may have to pay a top up fee for appointments.

If you're going to be there for a couple of years you'll want ypur GP to refer you to a hospital clinic or to a private endocrinologist.

Not sure what the status is on pumps atm (I'm MDI). As I remember it (6 years ago) a pump using friend had his private health insurance pay for the pump but all the consumables were covered. I suggest you check on the NDSS website. Private health insurance paid for his pump but I think they exclude pre-existing conditions for a while , so you might need to pay for the pump if it goes out of warranty during your stay?

Thank you so much for your response. I’ve been sort of panicking worried I wouldn’t be prepared enough financially and after some research the NDSS discounts my omnipod so i may be lucky

Reactions: EllieM

Judd120

Hi Everyone, I will be moving to Australia in March 2025 to do a 4 year PhD. I am a Type 1 utilising a Tandem X2 (CIQ) with Dexcom G7s. It is my understanding that there is a Reciprocal Health Care Agreement (RHCA) between the UK and Australia and therefore I will be treated the same an an Australian citizen (Medicare/NDSS).

I hope this is correct? See: https://www.ndss.com.au/living-with-diabetes/driving-and-travel/visiting-or-moving-to-australia/

However, can anyone please help by explaining what this means practically? Remarkably the NDSS website does not do this clearly at all and when emailed they respond only with 'check their website' which does not answer practical questions... i.e., once the 3 month supply I bring with me runs out how much will it cost to get insulin (Ljumgev), pump supplies (Tandem X2 catheters & reservoirs), blood tests, and GP/Endocrinologist appointments? Further, how big a supply can I get and when? Some of my research will mean I'm travelling internally and abroad so I need flexibility and large amounts so as not to run out.

Also, my PhD living stipend is just enough to live off so any medical costs will be a huge burden and could potentially impact on my ability to conduct my studies. Surely there must be support for students so they don't have to use their grants/loans to pay for a life saving medication, etc? How do Australian domestic students, (assuming under the RHCA I'll be classed the same), manage with their limited student grants/loans? Are there hardship funds to help students with disabilities at Uni in Australia as there are in the UK?

Any help or advice would be deeply appreciated as without help to cover my Diabetes healthcare costs my whole PhD could be derailed.

Many thanks!

Reactions: filly