Type 1: Flu after flu jab

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You say you have never had flu before so why do you think you have it now. What you have probably got is just a very bad cold there are a lot about and very sore throats at the moment

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hope your starting to feel better @joshluck

Flu is awful, I had the misfortune to experience it several years ago and wouldn't want to experience it again, my Dr said to my wife (after she rang for advice) that if I couldn't get out of bed then I had flu and not a cold, as it happened I could hardly lift my head off the pillow never mind try to get out of bed :rolleyes:

Reactions: mist

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
You constantly hear people saying the flu shot gave me the flu, or I know someone.... So what is to blame when someone gets sick and has not had the shot? I personally can't think of a better place to catch a cold than in a hospital where all the sick people go. I am a health care worker and hospitals are germ factories. Influenza killed millions around the world just 100 years ago, I have had it once and get the shot. Anything is better than going through that again. To each their own.

D

debrasue

You constantly hear people saying the flu shot gave me the flu, or I know someone.... So what is to blame when someone gets sick and has not had the shot? I personally can't think of a better place to catch a cold than in a hospital where all the sick people go. I am a health care worker and hospitals are germ factories. Influenza killed millions around the world just 100 years ago, I have had it once and get the shot. Anything is better than going through that again. To each their own.
I totally agree with you about hospitals. Which is why I fight tooth and nail not to go there. And I do know that in the UK the 'flu shot is not a live vaccine and cannot give you 'flu. But it can make you pretty ill, as I know to my cost.

I've been umm'ing and aa'ing about whether or not to have the 'vaccine again this year, after being really ill with it last year and subsequently getting two bouts of full-blown 'flu which knocked me off my feet from December until March, and which would certainly have put me in hospital had I not strenuously fought the proposal.

I've been reading an article by Dr Joseph Mercola about 'flu shots, (I know, I know - love him or hate him), and came across this:

It's important to realize that vaccines (all vaccines, not just flu vaccines) are immunosuppressive, meaning they suppress your immune system, which may not return to normal for weeks, perhaps months. Here are just some of the ways vaccines impair and alter your immune response:
Some components in vaccines, such as thimerosal (mercury preservative) and aluminum adjuvants, are neurotoxic and may depress your immune and brain function
Vaccines can trigger allergic reactions by introducing large foreign protein molecules into your body that have not been properly broken down by your digestive tract (since they are injected)
Lab altered vaccine viruses may further impair your immune response
Vaccines may alter your T-cell function, thereby triggering chronic illness
Foreign DNA/RNA from animal tissues can wreak havoc in your body and trigger autoimmunity in some people
The flu vaccine may pose an immediate risk to your cardiovascular system, causing abnormalities in arterial function and LDL oxidation that may persist for at least two weeks.

and this:

But is getting an annual flu shot really "the best way" to protect yourself against influenza? Research frequently tells a very different story. For example, recent studies have shown that:
With each successive annual flu vaccination, the protection afforded by the vaccine appears to diminish.7,8 Research published in 2014 concluded that vaccine-induced protection against influenza was greatest among those who had NOT received a flu shot in the previous five years.
The flu vaccine may also increase your risk of contracting other, more serious influenza infections.
Data shows that people who received the seasonal flu vaccine in 2008 had twice the risk of getting the H1N1 "swine flu" compared to those who didn't receive a flu shot.
Compared to children who do not get an annual flu vaccine, those who receive influenza vaccinations have a three times higher risk of hospitalization due to influenza.
Statin drugs — taken by 1 in 4 Americans over the age of 45 — may undermine your immune system's ability to respond to the flu vaccine.
After vaccination, antibody concentrations were 38 percent to 67 percent lower in statin users over the age of 65, compared to non-statin users of the same age. Antibody concentrations were also reduced in younger people who took statins.
Independent science reviews have also concluded that flu shots do not appear to prevent influenza or complications of influenza
Influenza vaccine does not appear to prevent influenza-like-illness (ILI) associated with other types of viruses responsible for about 80 percent of all respiratory or gastrointestinal infections during any given flu season

Of course, these stats all apply to the US market, but they have made me wonder...

The full article can be found here, if anyone's interested:
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...=20161023Z1&et_cid=DM123594&et_rid=1723629664

M

mist

Flu is worse than cancer for how **** it makes you feel..:p

Silly not to get vaccinated, every little bit of protection helps.

Dark Horse

The very reason I never have a flu jab and never will!! I work in a hospital and several collegues have gone off sick with colds/flu after having the jab!
The flu jab cannot give you flu. It does not contain any live virus. If somebody gets a cold or flu after having the flu jab, it is due to coincidence. With the high numbers of people receiving flu vaccines, there are bound to be some people who become infected with an unrelated virus during the period following vaccination.

http://www.nhsemployers.org/~/media...er/flu fighter clinical evidence Aug 2016.pdf

The above document says:-
  • Although people sometimes say that the vaccine gave them influenza, this is not possible. The influenza vaccines offered to healthcare workers in the UK are inactivated and do not contain live viruses.
  • It is most likely that the flu-like symptoms experienced by people who have just had the vaccine are not caused by influenza but by one of many other circulating viruses that can produce influenza-like symptoms. Since it can take up to two weeks following vaccination to develop immunity to influenza, it is possible for infection to occur if exposed to influenza during this period.

Dark Horse

I totally agree with you about hospitals. Which is why I fight tooth and nail not to go there. And I do know that in the UK the 'flu shot is not a live vaccine and cannot give you 'flu. But it can make you pretty ill, as I know to my cost.

I've been umm'ing and aa'ing about whether or not to have the 'vaccine again this year, after being really ill with it last year and subsequently getting two bouts of full-blown 'flu which knocked me off my feet from December until March, and which would certainly have put me in hospital had I not strenuously fought the proposal.

I've been reading an article by Dr Joseph Mercola about 'flu shots, (I know, I know - love him or hate him), and came across this:

It's important to realize that vaccines (all vaccines, not just flu vaccines) are immunosuppressive, meaning they suppress your immune system, which may not return to normal for weeks, perhaps months. Here are just some of the ways vaccines impair and alter your immune response:
Some components in vaccines, such as thimerosal (mercury preservative) and aluminum adjuvants, are neurotoxic and may depress your immune and brain function
Vaccines can trigger allergic reactions by introducing large foreign protein molecules into your body that have not been properly broken down by your digestive tract (since they are injected)
Lab altered vaccine viruses may further impair your immune response
Vaccines may alter your T-cell function, thereby triggering chronic illness
Foreign DNA/RNA from animal tissues can wreak havoc in your body and trigger autoimmunity in some people
The flu vaccine may pose an immediate risk to your cardiovascular system, causing abnormalities in arterial function and LDL oxidation that may persist for at least two weeks.

and this:

But is getting an annual flu shot really "the best way" to protect yourself against influenza? Research frequently tells a very different story. For example, recent studies have shown that:
With each successive annual flu vaccination, the protection afforded by the vaccine appears to diminish.7,8 Research published in 2014 concluded that vaccine-induced protection against influenza was greatest among those who had NOT received a flu shot in the previous five years.
The flu vaccine may also increase your risk of contracting other, more serious influenza infections.
Data shows that people who received the seasonal flu vaccine in 2008 had twice the risk of getting the H1N1 "swine flu" compared to those who didn't receive a flu shot.
Compared to children who do not get an annual flu vaccine, those who receive influenza vaccinations have a three times higher risk of hospitalization due to influenza.
Statin drugs — taken by 1 in 4 Americans over the age of 45 — may undermine your immune system's ability to respond to the flu vaccine.
After vaccination, antibody concentrations were 38 percent to 67 percent lower in statin users over the age of 65, compared to non-statin users of the same age. Antibody concentrations were also reduced in younger people who took statins.
Independent science reviews have also concluded that flu shots do not appear to prevent influenza or complications of influenza
Influenza vaccine does not appear to prevent influenza-like-illness (ILI) associated with other types of viruses responsible for about 80 percent of all respiratory or gastrointestinal infections during any given flu season

Of course, these stats all apply to the US market, but they have made me wonder...

The full article can be found here, if anyone's interested:
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...=20161023Z1&et_cid=DM123594&et_rid=1723629664
Articles like this are the reason why I don't read anything put out by Mercola. He seems to mix truths, half-truths, misinterpretation and misinformation in equal measures. Without expertise in the area under discussion, it's almost impossible to tell which is which. Even with a modicum of expertise it would take a long take to check the sources thoroughly.

For example, in this article he says that:-
  • Vaccines can trigger allergic reactions. - This is true, and is the reason why people with egg allergy are advised not to have the standard flu jab
  • Some components in vaccines, such as thimerosal ... are neurotoxic - While it's true that some vaccines in the USA still contain thimerosal, the single does flu vaccine does NOT (and in the UK, it is not present in any of the routine vaccinations). In any case, the WHO state, "there is no compelling scientific evidence of a safety problem related to its use in vaccines".
  • Influenza vaccine does not appear to prevent influenza-like-illness (ILI) associated with other types of viruses - This is not a failure of the flu jab as no-one would expect a vaccination against influenza to have any effect against other viruses as they are antigenically different.
  • Compared to children who do not get an annual flu vaccine, those who receive influenza vaccinations have a three times higher risk of hospitalization due to influenza. - The study he is quoting concerned children with asthma who received one particular type of flu vaccine. It is quite possible that it was the children who were thought to be less likely to be able to fight off an infection who were the ones who were immunised. It is likely that such a group would have a higher rate of hospital admission than healthier children who wouldn't have been immunised. The study found what is known as "an association", it doesn't show that flu vaccination caused hospital admissions - further studies would be need to find out the cause of the association. Even the study's authors say, "This may be a reflection ... [of] the population of children who are more likely to get the vaccine."
I could go on but life is too short.

Regarding your particular case, why not have a chat with your GP about the reaction you had last year and to help you weight up the risks involved both of having it or not having it?

Reactions: tim2000s and chalup

joshluck

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Funny thing, I actually had a bad allergic reaction to my brothers three dogs that I have been round plenty of times.

D

debrasue

how are your BG levels ????? -- flu will take as long as it takes ( a few days or a couple of weeks )
make sure you are testing , drinking fluids , and correcting as needed
If you feel better after just a few days, it wasn't flu. It was a cold.

D

debrasue

Regarding your particular case, why not have a chat with your GP about the reaction you had last year and to help you weight up the risks involved both of having it or not having it?
I have discussed this with my GP, who told me that the reason I got flu last year was because the vaccine the NHS was using in 2015 was subsequently found to be only around 30% effective, and it's always a lottery as to the strain of flu which will be the most aggressive in any given year. And, as another poster has already said, the literature that comes with the vaccination tells you that it can generate "flu-like" symptoms in some people.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Funny thing, I actually had a bad allergic reaction to my brothers three dogs that I have been round plenty of times.

Hi,

There were three dogs. Which one do you think caused the reaction? Are they all the same breed??

Dark Horse

I have discussed this with my GP, who told me that the reason I got flu last year was because the vaccine the NHS was using in 2015 was subsequently found to be only around 30% effective, and it's always a lottery as to the strain of flu which will be the most aggressive in any given year. And, as another poster has already said, the literature that comes with the vaccination tells you that it can generate "flu-like" symptoms in some people.
Both of those are true but worth mentioning that if someone does get flu-like symptoms, it's only for a day or so and they can be relieved by paracetamol.

M

mist

I can still remember when I was fifteen, I had the flu and I had to have chemotherapy in the morning followed by a blast of radiation treatment in the afternoon, everyday..the flu made it so much worse..

Now that was a bad month..:D

Only had flu the once, but I can understand why some people are worried about getting it because it does suck hard.