Type 1'stars R Us

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Hurstc Others have given you very good advice. You just have to ride it out with extra fast acting insulin if you need it. It certainly is aggravating and a real pain. You have to be careful at night, I am not familiar with Tresiba if it will let you sleep through the night without going too high when you miss a dose. But the couple of times I had to deal with it I had to set my alarm for every 2-3 hours because I would climb so fast without insulin. @ANTJE I love your idea of a pen needle in a pillbox. I used to put a big note on my front door and of course I started to ignore that. So I moved the note so it was in the way of the door knob. That helped for 5 days of the week.

@Fairygodmother I hope you solve your problem. I'm not sure it would help but you might read up on Horse Chestnut. When I was misdiagnosed and they gave me Actos, it made my legs swell up and Horse Chestnut really helped me.

@Becca It sounds like a very stressful time. I hope everything ends out being okay and everyone heals up.

Last edited:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi fairy godmother. Thanks
I use Tresiba which has no tech to record last dose.
I take it of a morning only.
Thanks for the advice.
Awful that I have forgotten but I feel I inject automatically so sometimes I forget.
Hi, Ive done the same thing and I take Tresiba in the morning too.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I visited the surgery yesterday, the one I’ve just moved to, for a Doppler test on my legs to see if they were suited to compression stockings and wouldn’t fall off if squeezed too tight.
Everyone I’ve met there has been calm, gentle, efficient, ready to help, cheerful. I’m sooooo glad I’ve moved.
However, it’s a Uni Medical Centre so it may be different in term time.
They do experience a lot of support-needed cries from first year Type One students who feel scared having to leave the family that’s helped them.
The Nurse I saw said I ought to give them a talk - not that she’s the one who’d make that kind of decision.
It must indeed be scary facing so many new things to find out about and not knowing who you can trust to check you during the first year.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Fairygodmother That would be a really nice idea! It would be reassuring I'm sure to see a long time type 1 and that they can survive. Hearing from someone with actual experience is much more meaningful than someone just telling you something they've been told about.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Anyone else see the 5 o'clock news tonight? Gp talking about report that's said 1 in 5 will have a major illness by 2040, and she said "there's no need for anyone to get diabetes". Am really cross!!

Edited, as I realised what I initially wrote quickly in frustration wasn't good. Apologies!!

Last edited:

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good morning everyone. Hope you have a nice day, and have had some dry spells amongst all the rain.
Am so thankful not to be anywhere near all the wildfires, it must be so terrifying.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's nearly one o'clock and I went to bed at 10.30. I managed to inject 7 units of Fiasp instead of Lantus this evening, so I'm paying the price. I realised what I'd done straight away, and it was about an hour after I'd accurately injected Fiasp and eaten a meal. So after this additional, erroneous injection, I ate a high carb ice cream; since then, it's apparent that that was nowhere near enough to fix the problem. I suspect I didn't account for stacking from my earlier injection, so I've been playing catch up with jellybabies, then longer acting carbs and I'm still at it, just can't seem to get bgs up to a reasonable level and stable. Hopefully this latest attempt will be the last and I can go back to bed and at least get some sleep tonight. I simply wasn't paying proper attention earlier and for some inexplicable reason I'd left both pens on the kitchen counter, picked up the wrong one and that was that. I really hate making this kind of mistake; it means eating food I don't want and which isn't particularly good for me and doubting my own ability to manage T1. Of course I can, I've been doing it for nearly 40 years now, but it shakes my confidence.
Rant over, just needed to get it off my chest!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It's nearly one o'clock and I went to bed at 10.30. I managed to inject 7 units of Fiasp instead of Lantus this evening, so I'm paying the price. I realised what I'd done straight away, and it was about an hour after I'd accurately injected Fiasp and eaten a meal. So after this additional, erroneous injection, I ate a high carb ice cream; since then, it's apparent that that was nowhere near enough to fix the problem. I suspect I didn't account for stacking from my earlier injection, so I've been playing catch up with jellybabies, then longer acting carbs and I'm still at it, just can't seem to get bgs up to a reasonable level and stable. Hopefully this latest attempt will be the last and I can go back to bed and at least get some sleep tonight. I simply wasn't paying proper attention earlier and for some inexplicable reason I'd left both pens on the kitchen counter, picked up the wrong one and that was that. I really hate making this kind of mistake; it means eating food I don't want and which isn't particularly good for me and doubting my own ability to manage T1. Of course I can, I've been doing it for nearly 40 years now, but it shakes my confidence.
Rant over, just needed to get it off my chest!
Yikes!
Please try and get enough carbs to account for your accidental bolus, but never mind, you know all that.

I hope you'll manage to get some sleep, please let us know how it went in the morning.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, thanks @Antje77 and @becca59, finally got about 5 hours sleep, back to normal now thanks, feel a bit groggy but I think that's more down to not enough sleep. I'll be checking three times before every injection for weeks now! ;)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, thanks @Antje77 and @becca59, finally got about 5 hours sleep, back to normal now thanks, feel a bit groggy but I think that's more down to not enough sleep. I'll be checking three times before every injection for weeks now! ;)
Good to hear that all is well, if somewhat groggy. I can relate to that feeling today, albeit for more enjoyable reasons. I went to return something to my neighbour before a late dinner and suddenly it was 3AM, his bottle of rum was empty and the table was full of empty beer bottles too. Dinner never happened.

Glad to see I'm quite friendly in that state and amazed I managed no typos! :hilarious:
Yikes!
Please try and get enough carbs to account for your accidental bolus, but never mind, you know all that.

I hope you'll manage to get some sleep, please let us know how it went in the morning.
I do remember being relieved it was you who did the mix up, and not a panicked newbie! Big difference between an annoying mistake and a rubbish night, or a potental emergency. ;)

Skipping dinner and getting drunk with my neighbour apparently works very well with my diabetes, no idea how I pulled this off! :cool: o_O

1690559693395.png

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Antje77, glad you had such a good evening; I'd love the secret of keeping bgs in that range with alcohol and no food! ;)

• Friendly
Reactions: Antje77

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It’s been 48 hours now since I was out of range (3.9-10) according to my Guardian. Staying 100% in range I think is a rarity and I’m happy with anything above 70% day to day so to see that I haven’t dropped out for over 2 days now is amazing and it does make me happy. I know at some point I will lose my streak but for now I am just going to enjoy it :happy: