Type 1'stars R Us

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So sorry about your broken ribs, I’ve heard they are not fun, hope they heal up quickly for you.

I don’t know if I’d call it a tree of life, unless that is what a Sakura tree is :hilarious: But I always have tattoos with meaning and the meaning behind a Sakura tree at least is that because they only stay alive for a short period you should make the most of life. The time on the clock is my time of birth, kind of fitting for the meaning!
It’s funny how we interpret art.. The meaning of time & the resilience of the tree?
I saw a powerful message. :)

The ribs. I thought I’d just winded myself..
It was 5 days later I went minor injuries, thinking I’d cracked one. Then got sent to A&E after an elevated BP & heart rate?
A&E saw me within minutes suspecting internal trauma.. (spleen?) I felt fine apart from the pain..
Heart monitoring, CT scan & xray. Nearly 10 hours of tests.

The result was left side, ribs 7,8 & 10.

I snapped more than one “branch..” :hilarious:

• Hug
Reactions: ElenaP

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I am thank you @karen8967 bit fed up of this miserable weather, but it could be worse. That weather could have made it into my house like so many other poor people. Hope you are doing ok.

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Not had the best month this month. Started with a cold at the beginning of October and have had a cough since, went to the GP last week who did all their checks and said it's viral come back if it doesn't get better within a week. It's a week tomorrow and I feel as if I'm getting worse not better, still coughing a lot, so much so I either can't catch my breathe or I am almost sick, my throat and tongue are on fire and although I am still eating it's not a fun experience. Feeling very defeated and don't want to go back and just be told its viral again wait it out.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Not had the best month this month. Started with a cold at the beginning of October and have had a cough since, went to the GP last week who did all their checks and said it's viral come back if it doesn't get better within a week. It's a week tomorrow and I feel as if I'm getting worse not better, still coughing a lot, so much so I either can't catch my breathe or I am almost sick, my throat and tongue are on fire and although I am still eating it's not a fun experience. Feeling very defeated and don't want to go back and just be told its viral again wait it out.
Sorry you're feeling so unwell @Nicola M
It may be worth going back, as the dr could have got it wrong and it's not viral after all. Sounds like you could need antibiotics. Have you done a Covid test? Hope you feel better soon.
How's the pump coping with you being unwell? Sending hugs xx

Reactions: Nicola M

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Nicola M It's very important that you go back to the doctors. It could have turned into pneumonia or something very serious. You can also get secondary infections that need antibiotics with the flu/virus. Some people end up being hospitalized because of viruses that turn severe. Get to the doctor as soon as possible, even possibly urgent care or emergency if you are having issues like not catching your breath.

Besides the squeaky wheel gets more attention! Take care of yourself! I hope you feel better soon.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Good morning Karen, good to see you.
How are you? Hope you’re reasonably cheerful, and healthy.
Sorry to hear you’ve not been at all well Nicola - so yes, get onto your docs again: ask for a few tests, further examination, and hope you get some answers.

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry you're feeling so unwell @Nicola M
It may be worth going back, as the dr could have got it wrong and it's not viral after all. Sounds like you could need antibiotics. Have you done a Covid test? Hope you feel better soon.
How's the pump coping with you being unwell? Sending hugs xx
Covid test was negative, called again this morning and was prescribed antibiotics. Not surprising given that it’s now been 4 weeks and I’m no better. Pump has been coping rather well, I’m rarely above 14 if at all these days even when I have general illnesses like a cold. Previous to closed loop I could never get my sugars down.

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How are you now @Nicola M? Hope the antibiotics are starting to help.
Feeling a lot better since starting the antibiotics, the cough has pretty much all gone and the other symptoms have died down now. Not to bash my doctors but the person I saw originally was one of those Nurse Practitioners and not an actual GP so I do think if I’d have seen a doctor originally I would have got antibiotics sooner.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, and thanks for that @Marie 2, worth a read.
I've just been struck down by the mother and father of all colds; sore throat woke me up three times last night, worst runny nose I've ever had, and sneezing! I didn't know sneezing hurt so much with a sore throat :shifty: Topped up fast-acting insulin to get me through the night as it was too high at bedtime, and woke up over 18! Which also makes me feel rough.
Rant over, hope everyone else is well and that you're better now @Nicola M
Sunny here today, hope those of you in seriouly wet areas are drying out.

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Still feeling slightly run down but after a check at my doctors yesterday he said it's probably a mixture of a recently very bad chest infection (worst I've had) and being so low in B12 and I should feel better soon but come back if I don't or feel worse. Prescribed folic acid for my low folate and I'll be on B12 injections for life (not surprised by this actually quite happy). Repeat bloods in 3 months but all in all things are looking up.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@hh1 Try throat coat tea, it has licorice in it and I just slowly keep taking sips. Because once you stop for a few minutes the sore throat comes back. I keep a box in my cupboard just in case !!! Singers use it to help when they sing a lot. There's also Singer's Saving Grace which is a spray with licorice which works too. Licorice herb is wonderful stuff but licorice can lower blood sugar plus it usually takes a few weeks, but it can raise blood pressure. So don't go overboard.

I hope you feel better soon. I hate being sick and trying to control blood sugars on top of it is just awful.