Type 2 Life

JohnnyBaker87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
I have Asperger Syndrome which is an autism spectrum condition and a full diagnosis of Adult ADHD which are characterised by impairments in social communication, social interaction and social imagination. I also have a rigid and somewhat unpredictable routine. I also experience obsessive rituals, some a bit overwhelming. But I have a talent in articulate creative writing skills and possess a photographic rote memory. I have sensory sensitivity and get upset by loud noises, bright colours or lights, and notice the texture and consistency of certain foods more making my dietary choices extremely limited or restricted to certain food components. I dislike conflict and lies. The Adult ADHD also makes me very moody and cross.
Good Afternoon, to all my good, caring friends on Type 2 Life from myself, Johnny, on PC No 3, a public computer at Tate South Lambeth Public Library in Vauxhall, South West London very adjacent to my one-bedroomed council flat,

I am posting to inform you of my blood glucose reading when I got home and took my metformin and Lixisenatide injection. It was 6.8 mmol. And before my deep pan pepperoni pizza, this lunch time, my blood glucose reading was 4.5 mmol.

I have been smoking a few hand rolled cigarettes but drank coffee, watched a religious crusade on Sky Channel 581, Revelation TV, and made some telephone calls to friends, and my elderly father in North Finchley, near where I grew up.

Much love to you all, thinking of you all and mentally praying for you whilst I'm reading your posts and quotes on the Library Computer.

From,

Johnny Baker (@autisticwonder1970)

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
Good Afternoon, to all my good, caring friends on Type 2 Life from myself, Johnny, on PC No 3, a public computer at Tate South Lambeth Public Library in Vauxhall, South West London very adjacent to my one-bedroomed council flat,

I am posting to inform you of my blood glucose reading when I got home and took my metformin and Lixisenatide injection. It was 6.8 mmol. And before my deep pan pepperoni pizza, this lunch time, my blood glucose reading was 4.5 mmol.

I have been smoking a few hand rolled cigarettes but drank coffee, watched a religious crusade on Sky Channel 581, Revelation TV, and made some telephone calls to friends, and my elderly father in North Finchley, near where I grew up.

Much love to you all, thinking of you all and mentally praying for you whilst I'm reading your posts and quotes on the Library Computer.

From,

Hi Johnny the point is you keep trying to give up and you don't give in,additions of all kinds are hard to conquer so keep at it and I'm hopeful you will do it. So glad your kitchen and bathroom are coming along and hopefully soon you will be able to enjoy your new space.Take care and good luck to you. Kathleen x

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Posting here so I don't take the FBG thread off track .... I don't want to have to go to the naught corner ;)

@debrasue @ickihun and @callyandy thank you for the lovely kind words about my recent FBG's. I was extremely touched by your comments.

After a great start I think I fell off the wagon for a bit - numbers a little higher but "oh that's ok", and was feeling a bit rough but "it'll get better". Now realise that my key really has to be aiming for 5s in the morning coz then I feel SO DARN GREAT! these last few weeks, having got control again, have been so productive at work, I've been swimming every day - and beating this diabetes!

Organisational is key for me, good food in the fridge, health snacks, planning meals. And LCHF doesn't have to be boring - I eat so much better than before diagnosis.

Sorry I'm waffling (it's Sunday morning and I haven't had coffee!), just wanted to say thank you - I honestly believe I'd never be where I am without the support of this forum x

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, started the step diabetes education programme yesterday and came away feeling very confused. When I was diagnosed at the end of January my HbA1c was 106. Didn't really understand it so found this site and did a lot of reading. I decided to go low carb and then see how it went. I bought a meter to allow me to test which has been invaluable. According to the readings my average over the last 30 days is 6 which I'm really pleased with given the readings when I started. I've also lost a stone in weight. At the class yesterday I was told I wasn't eating enough carbs and had to aim for 180g and I didn't need to test every day. Cant understand if carbs are bad for diabetics why the NHS are telling people to eat more. I'm on one 500mg of glucophage per day and was told it would probably increase the next time I see my dn. why? I'm hoping when I go for the second day next week it will all become clear. Off to the gym now to burn off some more fat lol
Hi @JRF well done on lowering your BS. Ultimately it is your decision what you eat etc and if you are happy with your diet and the progress that you are making stick with it because you have proved that it works for you! In addition by testing you will continue to make progress as you find out what foods affect your BS. You will probably find that, as time goes by you will not need to test so much anyway as you will be mire knowledgable re what you can and cannot eat. As for the increase in your medication many members on the LCHF diet have decreased or even stopped taking theirs but that decision will be made between you and your dn following your next hba1c result. Keep up the good work!

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
Hello Everyone, my fingerpricking-fest goes on and I wonder if I need to test my FBG a bit earlier, say like 6am and take my pills then to try and avoid the liver dump and its attendant sugar spike.

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
Posting here so I don't take the FBG thread off track .... I don't want to have to go to the naught corner ;)

@debrasue @ickihun and @callyandy thank you for the lovely kind words about my recent FBG's. I was extremely touched by your comments.

After a great start I think I fell off the wagon for a bit - numbers a little higher but "oh that's ok", and was feeling a bit rough but "it'll get better". Now realise that my key really has to be aiming for 5s in the morning coz then I feel SO DARN GREAT! these last few weeks, having got control again, have been so productive at work, I've been swimming every day - and beating this diabetes!

Organisational is key for me, good food in the fridge, health snacks, planning meals. And LCHF doesn't have to be boring - I eat so much better than before diagnosis.

Sorry I'm waffling (it's Sunday morning and I haven't had coffee!), just wanted to say thank you - I honestly believe I'd never be where I am without the support of this forum x
Hi PenfoldAPD I totally agree with you on food and this forum support never done what I've achieved in the last six weeks without the kindness advice and support from people on here, A BIG THANK YOU from me also!!!!K

callyandy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Not waffling (can't eat those!!:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:). I know we shouldn't side track the thread, but I think sometimes it's good for us all, and new comers (I was one not so long ago) to see that success is possible and life can be good with diabetes. Andy and I agree that our diet is great on LCHF. the snacks are fab, just a bit of mind over matter with the habitual crisps, choccie etc. Let's be honest. One has to WANT to make the changes, like smoking or drinking, we are in control of our bodies' addictions.
Boring, boring. Even though my last 3 weeks have been a bit odd, I just want to say thanks. You guys help no end, I know I'll get back to "normal" and my numbers will reflect this.
You also make me laugh and smile. That helps no end. Happy Sunday folks.
Cally

Reactions: Granny_grump_

callyandy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, started the step diabetes education programme yesterday and came away feeling very confused. When I was diagnosed at the end of January my HbA1c was 106. Didn't really understand it so found this site and did a lot of reading. I decided to go low carb and then see how it went. I bought a meter to allow me to test which has been invaluable. According to the readings my average over the last 30 days is 6 which I'm really pleased with given the readings when I started. I've also lost a stone in weight. At the class yesterday I was told I wasn't eating enough carbs and had to aim for 180g and I didn't need to test every day. Cant understand if carbs are bad for diabetics why the NHS are telling people to eat more. I'm on one 500mg of glucophage per day and was told it would probably increase the next time I see my dn. why? I'm hoping when I go for the second day next week it will all become clear. Off to the gym now to burn off some more fat lol
Well done on your weightloss, I'm on a prediabetic course, sponsored by NHS England, but not delivered by thm, mostly because there is a timelag between the message the NHS has to support regarding the "Health Plate" diet and the "new" balance of a plate of food less carbohydrate loaded. The up shot seems to be, in a few years time the NHS will be promoting diets more like LCHF. (Food companies not withstanding, there is going to be a massive fight as any company which makes it's money from carbs is going to fight this message). Anyway, what I'm waffling on about is that the message sent from these forums on diabetes.co.uk is soundly based on science. There are many members who have been doing LCHF for years and have felt the benefits. I can't advise you to go directly against a medical professional's advice, but I do agree with your approach of reading and asking questions, this helping you to make a personal, informed decision on how you manage your diabetes (we're all different) and your diet. Good luck to you, I look forwards to reading more of your success.:)
Cally

Reactions: JRF
D

debrasue

Dont beat yourself up Johnny, temptation is a very strong draw. Think about doing things that might take your mind off a smoke. I know it is hard because I went over 7 years without a smoke, then started again. I haven't had a smoke for almost 7 years now, and hope I never do, but I don't know what is round the corner to trip me over. Try chewing on a match, and ask your Nurse for a stress ball - I found they helped
I used to chew matches, too. And drink water... and brushing your teeth often takes away the craving.

JohnnyBaker87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
I have Asperger Syndrome which is an autism spectrum condition and a full diagnosis of Adult ADHD which are characterised by impairments in social communication, social interaction and social imagination. I also have a rigid and somewhat unpredictable routine. I also experience obsessive rituals, some a bit overwhelming. But I have a talent in articulate creative writing skills and possess a photographic rote memory. I have sensory sensitivity and get upset by loud noises, bright colours or lights, and notice the texture and consistency of certain foods more making my dietary choices extremely limited or restricted to certain food components. I dislike conflict and lies. The Adult ADHD also makes me very moody and cross.
Good Afternoon my friends, on Monday 6th March, 2017, Anno Domini, at 1:13 Post Meridian, Greenwich Mean Time, from PC No 3, a public computer, at Tate South Lambeth Public Library, Vauxhall, South West London,

I am posting to inform you that I slept well last night, and although I'm still smoking hand-rolled cigarettes, and haven't eaten today yet, I had a good fasting blood glucose reading of 5.1 Millimoles Per Litre, then I drank 2 glasses of prune juice and a mug of instant coffee with Coffeemate Light and 4 Sucralose Artificial Sweetener Tablets each, leaving me with a more recent blood glucose reading of 8.8 Millimoles Per Litre, which can't be accurate, so I'm going to mention it to my Nurse Practitioner on Wednesday and ask her to check the reliability of my True You blood glucose monitor.

Have a lovely day and much love to you with my best wishes and the most sincere gratitude to each one of you.

From,

Reactions: Liam1955
D

debrasue

Good Afternoon my friends, on Monday 6th March, 2017, Anno Domini, at 1:13 Post Meridian, Greenwich Mean Time, from PC No 3, a public computer, at Tate South Lambeth Public Library, Vauxhall, South West London,

I am posting to inform you that I slept well last night, and although I'm still smoking hand-rolled cigarettes, and haven't eaten today yet, I had a good fasting blood glucose reading of 5.1 Millimoles Per Litre, then I drank 2 glasses of prune juice and a mug of instant coffee with Coffeemate Light and 4 Sucralose Artificial Sweetener Tablets each, leaving me with a more recent blood glucose reading of 8.8 Millimoles Per Litre, which can't be accurate, so I'm going to mention it to my Nurse Practitioner on Wednesday and ask her to check the reliability of my True You blood glucose monitor.

Have a lovely day and much love to you with my best wishes and the most sincere gratitude to each one of you.

From,

Hi, Johnny.
In fact, that BG reading of 8.8 is probably correct, as there is a lot of fructose (fruit sugar) in prune juice. You might have got a lower reading if you had eaten some berries instead...
Hugs
xx

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hi @DaftThoughts - Have you mentioned this Hot and Cold problem to your GP and/or Diabetes Nurse?
Maybe your bloods need checking to rule out other things or maybe you are lacking in some Vitamin or Mineral? Maybe Iron deficiency for Aneamia? ( I have Aneamia and get prescribed Iron Tablets, and I am always cold, feet and hands like ice, go to bed and I have sheepskin under blanket and 2 Duvets on the bed and Hot Water Bottle).

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
Morning. No not had it. Am planning in 2 weeks now - someone else asked and I realised I should get it done. I'm back in the 5s FBG range so hoping it will be good!

Hope your trapped nerve is getting better? Let me know your HBA1c when known :)

Just logged onto the Surgery online system and checked my HbA1c results......I'm happy with a **37**.
My cholesterol seems ok too, LDL 1.9, HDL 0.98, Trig 3.4, with overall slightly up at 4.4.

I'm in the category of Low-er Carbs, and as a semi-retired chef see my goal as finding ways to rediscover enjoyment in what I cook and eat, while trying to stick to a scheme that keeps my sugar low. Touch wood - it seems to be working!
:happy:

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just logged onto the Surgery online system and checked my HbA1c results......I'm happy with a **37**.
My cholesterol seems ok too, LDL 1.9, HDL 0.98, Trig 3.4, with overall slightly up at 4.4.

I'm in the category of Low-er Carbs, and as a semi-retired chef see my goal as finding ways to rediscover enjoyment in what I cook and eat, while trying to stick to a scheme that keeps my sugar low. Touch wood - it seems to be working!
Fantastic stuff @nomoredonuts that's a stonker from 106 starting point

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
Thanks @walnut_face ,
I'm really feeling quite pleased and know I can improve on those numbers in light of the fact that I've chomping tons of pain killers since December and they are definitely raising my levels by about a point.
Don't want to get too ahead of myself, but it all helps when I try and justify LCHF to family members who think I've gone barmy!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies

Well done @nomoredonuts . Thats an excellent result, all round. :)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Thanks @walnut_face ,
I'm really feeling quite pleased and know I can improve on those numbers in light of the fact that I've chomping tons of pain killers since December and they are definitely raising my levels by about a point.
Don't want to get too ahead of myself, but it all helps when I try and justify LCHF to family members who think I've gone barmy!
Out of interest has your pain threshold got better or worse since doing lchf?

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Well done @nomoredonuts
You have found what works for you and still good even though you've had pain killers. Hope that problem can be sorted and even better next time.

Reactions: nomoredonuts

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Great result!! Well done

Reactions: nomoredonuts