Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
4.2 this morning.
I had some calories over from my days allowance, and my wife had bought a bottle of Baileys Orange, so I had a glass of that last night.
Sweet, syrupy, like an alcoholic chocolate orange.
So I went to bed at 6.7, which I'm more than happy with :)

Reactions: 13 people

fionamarie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
11.2 at bedtime, 10.4 this morning, just started on my metformin and Atorvastatin

Reactions: 6 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.6 at bedtime
6.0 this morning

I can't get these morning readings down to where they used to be in the low 5's. No idea why as my post meal levels are continuing to improve.

Reactions: 8 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
5 this morning. Not where it came from but I'll take it.

5.2 here, not sure where that came from either. Probably an outlier but I don't retest lows lol.

Reactions: 10 people

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.6 at bedtime
6.0 this morning

I can't get these morning readings down to where they used to be in the low 5's. No idea why as my post meal levels are continuing to improve.

Fasting levels and postprandial levels reflect different body mechanisms relating to glucose.

Your preprandial level reflects how efficient your body is in releasing and using insulin from your pancreas to deal with the rise in glucose from the carbohydrates and other nutrients in your meals.

Your fasting level is much more related with how your liver functions to release stored glycogen and convert it to glucose to make up for fall in glucose levels overnight and in preparation for the energy demands of the day.

While the preprandial readings can be controlled by us to a large extent through our dietary choices, we have considerably less control over fasting levels.

Pavlos

Reactions: 6 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
5.6 at bedtime
6.0 this morning

Are you doing anything different Bluetit, to put the brakes on more weightloss for instance? Does DP kick in again when you go lighter than your liver thinks it should be? Or maybe it's just the season.

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fasting levels and postprandial levels reflect different body mechanisms relating to glucose.

Your preprandial level reflects how efficient your body is in releasing and using insulin from your pancreas to deal with the rise in glucose from the carbohydrates and other nutrients in your meals.

Your fasting level is much more related with how your liver functions to release stored glycogen and convert it to glucose to make up for fall in glucose levels overnight and in preparation for the energy demands of the day.

While the preprandial readings can be controlled by us to a large extent through our dietary choices, we have considerably less control over fasting levels.

Pavlos

Thanks Pavlos. My concern mainly is that my fasting levels were good - consistent low 5's, rarely varied. Now they are high 5's and 6's. They are marching upwards with no changes to routine in general. Obviously there will be an odd one-off change some days, but nothing in general.

Reactions: 4 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you doing anything different Bluetit, to put the brakes on more weightloss for instance? Does DP kick in again when you go lighter than your liver thinks it should be? Or maybe it's just the season.

I did wonder if that might be the case. I am not underweight by any means, but I am lighter than I have been in 30 years. Maybe my liver hasn't adapted!

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Pavlos. My concern mainly is that my fasting levels were good - consistent low 5's, rarely varied. Now they are high 5's and 6's. They are marching upwards with no changes to routine in general. Obviously there will be an odd one-off change some days, but nothing in general.
Frustrating isn't it how much we do not know about what influenced our levels. Yes, we know in broad terms about the effect of carbs or exercise or stress or illness but that is only in rough brush strokes not in terms of fine detail. Sometimes it seems that all we can do is do the right thing as we understand it and then trust to the Gods. And if it does not work then change our routine slightly and try again.

Are your before bed or after dinner counts lower than they have been thus precipitating a stronger liver dump at night?

Would eating slightly later help or hinder?

Pavlos

S

Sable_Jan

Enjoy your day off Anne. Pamper yourself wth your favourite things - non edible tho unless they fit your diet ;-)

Reactions: 2 people
S

Sable_Jan

11.2 at bedtime, 10.4 this morning, just started on my metformin and Atorvastatin
5.6 at bedtime
6.0 this morning

Maybe as your b.s. continues to be lower they drop further during the night and you get liver dump because of it?

Status
Not open for further replies.