Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
6.3 and 8.3 at 1 hour and 8.2 at 2 hours. No ridiculous spike like yesterday. Trying to stay calm but I had a big fall 2days back (slipped on a rug and fell on the base of my spine and heck did that hurt) and still ache a bit.
OUCH !!.. :nurse:.delayed shock for spike ?

Reactions: 2 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
OUCH !!.. :nurse:.delayed shock for spike ?

Don't think so nuthead ... fell over on Monday nite which was before the big spike of yesterday. Seems my BSs are OK for lunch and dinner and pre bed so it's the morning figures that I need to control. Sometimes they hardly move across the 2 hours but most of the time, they jump by around 2.5 to 3.

If I can keep it to two as I did this morning, I'll take that so the next task is to get the morning reading down to the 5s :)

take care guys

Mike

Reactions: 6 people

Marko723

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.9 this morning... starting to walk it's way down from the 6s that I've seen the last little while.

-14C out there this evening....sigh, I miss summer already... Another picture from my get-away-long-weekend in late August.

14948237134_b5a4e14488_h.jpg

Reactions: 9 people

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5,2 for me this morning

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1416458826.582931.jpg

Off on my morning walk now.

Have a great day everyone

Pavlos

Reactions: 12 people

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't wish to tempt fate but I do not seem to suffer from dawn phenomenon that much.

I am on Metformin and believe that this may have something to do with it, as I have been reading that one of the main ways this medicine works to bring down glucose levels is by limiting glucogenesis I.e the conversion of glycogen stored in the liver to glucose in the blood , which I understand is what happens during the Dawn Phenomenon.

Just food for thought.

Pavlos

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Don't wish to tempt fate but I do not seem to suffer from dawn phenomenon that much.

I am on Metformin and believe that this may have something to do with it, as I have been reading that one of the main ways this medicine works to bring down glucose levels is by limiting glucogenesis I.e the conversion of glycogen stored in the liver to glucose in the blood , which I understand is what happens during the Dawn a Phenomenon.

Just food for thought.

Pavlos

Are you on 2 a day Pavlos? Enjoy your journey ... it might be a walk to you, but for the rest of us, it's an insight into someone else's life. Thanks for sharing it as you may have no idea how interesting it is ....

When we forget to learn, we may as well forget to live

Mike

mkandasa

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.1 this morning. Since Monday, taking metformin 250 in night. It used be metformin 500 till last week.

Reactions: 10 people

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you on 2 a day Pavlos? Enjoy your journey ... it might be a walk to you, but for the rest of us, it's an insight into someone else's life. Thanks for sharing it as you may have no idea how interesting it is ....

When we forget to learn, we may as well forget to live

Mike
I am on 2*850 mg a day Mike.

I started of on 3*500 on diagnosis and was at some point raised to 3*850, only to then convince my doctor to reduce it back to 2*850.

I much prefer not to have to remember to take medicine at lunchtimes when I am at work.

Reason I am reading up on Metformin is because I am trying to decide whether to ask the doctor to reduce the dosage further.

To be honest although the idea of not taking any drugs for diabetes does sound attractive, and i do suspect that I probably could manage on diet and exercise alone, given my latest hba1c of 5,2% (33 mmol), I am not sure that I want to come off Metformin all together. It is supposed to have health benefits which extend beyond diabetes to lowering cholesterol and reducing the chances of cardiovascular disease.

I never was given the option of managing my diabetes without meds by the way, perhaps because I was rather high on diagnosis at 16,6 mmol I was put on Metformin immediately.

Pavlos

Reactions: 4 people

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am on 2*850 mg a day Mike.

I started of on 3*500 on diagnosis and was at some point raised to 3*850, only to then convince my doctor to reduce it back to 2*850.

I much prefer not to have to remember to take medicine at lunchtimes when I am at work.

Reason I am reading up on Metformin is because I am trying to decide whether to ask the doctor to reduce the dosage further.

To be honest although the idea of not taking any drugs for diabetes does sound attractive, and i do suspect that I probably could manage on diet and exercise alone, given my latest hba1c of 5,2% (33 mmol), I am not sure that I want to come off Metformin all together. It is supposed to have health benefits which extend beyond diabetes to lowering cholesterol and reducing the chances of cardiovascular disease.

I never was given the option of managing my diabetes without meds by the way, perhaps because I was rather high on diagnosis at 16,6 mmol I was put on Metformin immediately.

Pavlos
I think it's worth a discussion. I had a similar diagnosis level to you with immediate medication of 3 x 500g metformin. That was last November. Reduced to 2 then 1 by May. HbA1c 35 in May so came off altogether. I wanted to see if I could manage without. My annual test is next Friday so I'll let you know the outcome.

Reactions: 11 people

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
4.7 before dinner
5.7 after dinner on salad only last night had no carbs last night but my salad did have some carrot and beet so may be it was that? I don't know if I am or not allowed to have carrot and beet although both were 1 each mixed with pepper tomato lettuce with some salt and pepper and lemon juice. I have seen it doesn't really matter if I have carbs or not my numbers are about 1mmol above the before dinner readings. Sometimes less than 1 but I am happy as still in non diabetic range.
5.5 fasting.

Reactions: 11 people

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Unsure what a wet dream is but think it a manly thing ... 8.5 this am that's cos i had a banana sand-which last night

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.9 before bed
6.3 fasting
8.8 or 9.1 before breakfast ouch!!! can feel my BS rising after the breakfast... grrrrrr

Reactions: 9 people
Status
Not open for further replies.