Vegetarians: What have you eaten today?

S

Sable_Jan

Where is @Kat100 ? She might like this. Swedish Glace "mini magnums" are on sale in Tesco. Only 11g carbs each

IDShot_225x225.jpg

Swedish Glace Soy Sticks Vanilla Ice Cream 5X55ml
Save £1.49 Was £2.99 Now £1.50

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=295228510
Have just passed the info on to Kat

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Today, I made this:
b5bb4f42a0e6a65123fed07c03807347.jpg

Lovely veggie lasagna with this:
8cbc9a06676f2e2be2caa1b95cc235f8.jpg

Yummy, and dog enjoyed licking bowl so much I gave him a few teaspoons of his own....
Edited to add the bowl looks more like a trifle.....
Butternut squash lasagne sheets! I will look out for those :D

Reactions: Sable_Jan
A

Avocado Sevenfold

I think I will buy them just to use as veg too cos peeling a squash is so wasteful when I do it and hard on my hands too. Normally just cut in half & roast if I do get it...
Was the best alternative to pasta I've seen.....not fancied leeks or cabbage leaves. .
I never used to peel the BNS, just cut it into cubes and the skin would go thin and edible as it roasted. Still a ****** to chop though. I tested myself a couple of years ago with BNS and the results were not great, but I find I can handle carbs better these days so will give them a go again.

Which reminds me, I had a surprise HBA1C at the blood pressure clinic a couple of weeks ago. Latest is 36. Up from 35 in January, but the period included all our birthdays plus Easter so I am calling it a win!

Reactions: Ledzeptt
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Got my nephew's birthday tea later today where the non-d folk will be having chocolate orange cake. To keep the flavour theme going, I'll be taking these - Jamie Oliver chocolate tofu pots with mandarins. Easy-peasy.

x57gb5.jpg

Reactions: Ledzeptt
S

Sable_Jan

I never used to peel the BNS, just cut it into cubes and the skin would go thin and edible as it roasted. Still a ****** to chop though. I tested myself a couple of years ago with BNS and the results were not great, but I find I can handle carbs better these days so will give them a go again.

Which reminds me, I had a surprise HBA1C at the blood pressure clinic a couple of weeks ago. Latest is 36. Up from 35 in January, but the period included all our birthdays plus Easter so I am calling it a win!
Being a butternut squash virgin I didn't know if the skin was edible or not.....Its on a par with turnip and celeriac for cutting up though isn't it and my hands just aren't up to it ....
Well done on the 36....

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Being a butternut squash virgin I didn't know if the skin was edible or not.....Its on a par with turnip and celeriac for cutting up though isn't it and my hands just aren't up to it ....
Well done on the 36....
Cheers, Jan :) I had a Saturday job in a greengrocers when I was at school and I learned an easy way to half a turnip using a machete and gravity. Not sure it would be allowed now!

I used to enjoy a slightly modified version of this recipe years ago. The skin is left on the BNS so less faff.

http://www.olivemagazine.com/recipes/vegetarian/roasted-butternut-squash-with-goats-cheese/

S

Sable_Jan

Cheers, Jan :) I had a Saturday job in a greengrocers when I was at school and I learned an easy way to half a turnip using a machete and gravity. Not sure it would be allowed now!

I used to enjoy a slightly modified version of this recipe years ago. The skin is left on the BNS so less faff.

http://www.olivemagazine.com/recipes/vegetarian/roasted-butternut-squash-with-goats-cheese/
Uncanny. So similar to the one I make (though now I know I can eat the skin) I bake with the holes filled with spicy couscous and all topped with feta .. lots of it

Reactions: Avocado Sevenfold

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I will buy them just to use as veg too cos peeling a squash is so wasteful when I do it and hard on my hands too. Normally just cut in half & roast if I do get it...
Was the best alternative to pasta I've seen.....not fancied leeks or cabbage leaves. .
The best alternative to pasta I have had is courgette thinly sliced and woven into sheets ..

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Sunday roast - roast veg with a Linda McCartney "pulled pork" 1/4 lb burger. Sounds gross doesn't it!

New recipe burger just out. The old recipe burger contained honey and LM Foods were under pressure to remove it. They kindly did so I thought it would be rude not to buy a box. I've never had pulled pork so can't compare, but the burger has a mild smokiness about it and a juicy texture. Nice for a change.

Most supermarket websites have not yet updated their ingredients and nutritional info as this is such a recent change. New recipe burgers are stated as vegan on the front of the box near the love heart logo. Per burger

10.8g carb
15.6g protein
150 calories

1hw568.jpg

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
B: Muesli

L: Hummus sandwich

D: Quorn stir fry with cauli-rice

Snack: Club biscuit

AWOL recently due to work: I've returned to full-time work -> hurray or boo, depending what mood I'm in!

I'm continuing to experiment with lower carbs( 100 - 150g per day) as my pancreas seems to be (almost) dead now, so I can tolerate fat and I'm less worried about losing weight. I'm relying on Lowlife bread and eating less pasta/potatoes etc rather than relying on cauli-rice and courgetti.

It's going well: so long as I don't move around much my BG stays very stable. However, taking my dog for a walk causes a hypo unless I eat some "junk" first (hence the club biscuit today).

A

Avocado Sevenfold

B: Muesli

L: Hummus sandwich

D: Quorn stir fry with cauli-rice

Snack: Club biscuit

AWOL recently due to work: I've returned to full-time work -> hurray or boo, depending what mood I'm in!

I'm continuing to experiment with lower carbs( 100 - 150g per day) as my pancreas seems to be (almost) dead now, so I can tolerate fat and I'm less worried about losing weight. I'm relying on Lowlife bread and eating less pasta/potatoes etc rather than relying on cauli-rice and courgetti.

It's going well: so long as I don't move around much my BG stays very stable. However, taking my dog for a walk causes a hypo unless I eat some "junk" first (hence the club biscuit today).
Lowlife bread sounds a bit grim :wideyed:

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven't either Jan, but the wife love to do all that kinda thing .. if you roll the courgette lattice with a filling of ricotta cheese and spinach then you can make a wonderful cannelloni .. when you coming over for lunch ?

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
Lowlife bread sounds a bit grim :wideyed:

It's OK: similar taste and texture to Lidl protein rolls, but without the crust and in a loaf shape, so easier to make conventional sandwiches. Carbs are 3.8g per slice (1.7g net) with no noticeable impact on my BG.

Only Waitrose and Morrisons seem to stock it though.

6e22054745f72538b27c45daa6d76396.jpg

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Today:

B: Hipster special: smashed avo with poached egg on toast i.e. I let the avocado get too ripe and mushy for anything else!

L: LM sausage sandwich. Pear and Greek yogurt.

D: Beans in a pasta-type sauce, but with courgetti. Oppo (salted caramel).

7a6f2c371b360ad1eafb9085f4a38648.jpg

Reactions: Avocado Sevenfold
S

Sable_Jan

I haven't either Jan, but the wife love to do all that kinda thing .. if you roll the courgette lattice with a filling of ricotta cheese and spinach then you can make a wonderful cannelloni .. when you coming over for lunch ?
Sounds gorgeous.......though I've never tried ricotta.....I love most cheese except emental and blue cheeses.....so far at least...
Let me know when your wife's making it and I'll come and join you

Reactions: Enclave

Africanaussie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yesterday I had scrambled eggs and mushrooms for brunch.

In the evening there was a family Italian-y birthday dinner at my mum's so I made my own spiralised courgettes in Sacla vegetarian recipe pesto sauce, sundried tomatoes, feta and flaked almonds. Takes only minutes to throw together so I wasn't in the way. I also took along a Lidl high protein roll which I had cut into thin soldiers, toasted and rubbed with a garlic clove so I had my own garlic bread.

For pudding I had made low carb chocolate mousse flavoured with spiced rum, lime and chilli and served in little espresso cups. I may be able to photograph a leftover one.

And champagne :D
that sounds delicious.