Weekend exercise warriors

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Terrific thread, @ickihun . Really interesting.

I only started exercising aged 40 (am such a cliche!) having finally got enough confidence in my diabetes, thanks to my pump, to know that I could finally finally manage it without coming to harm from a diabetes perspective.

Typically I went at running like a bull at a gate and ended up out of action for months after my first 10k! Wish I'd built up slowly.......

I'm now enjoying my running again - but I keep an eagle eye on the pace I'm doing so as not to hurt myself again.

:)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I have to say though, this is where what build you have comes in. I had a problem the first bike ride on new bike (see above). But the next ride, and the ones after, were not a problem and did not get off my bike till the garage at home. I have a muscular build and muscle can build quickly (in such) - so it only took that one time back on the bike again (just saying @Pipp :) - that not everyone has to build up slowly - it's all about the build).

Seeing @ickihun also had PCOS, like I did (past tense as I am post menopausal now, so no eggs or cysts popping out in insulin resistance environment) - means more free-ranging testosterone? Great for quick muscle building. Might not need a slow build up. Good for weekend warriors (or diabetes warriors, or Xena like creatures ;)hohoho), to bear in mind? :)
Ironically I'm losing that bodybuilder look since going low carb and keeping an eye on protein levels.
I think that 4st I lost was muscle and as a result I'm less insulin resistant. My muscles as well as my liver were overflowing with glucose and dumping on me, day and night.
I feel fatter losing that 4st because I am. I have more fat showing now than muscle. Of course muscle weighs less than fat but with insulin therapy I'm making MORE fat cells than muscle because I cannot exercise properly. Insulin is helping me not building muscle on top of muscle. I was like a bodybuilder, for sure and never trained like one. In fact i'd go as far to say my daily movements of carrying my average 20st was a built-in training session just by getting around.
Now not able to move well has curbed that and huge insulin injections have changed my body into a lump of jelly where once muscle bound legs stood.
In November I was able to reduce my basal insulin from 72units to 51 (toujeo300). That's a whopping 21units of toujeo300 which is equivalant to approx 60units of levermir ot lantus. MUCH MUCH LESS.
I'm losing weight again. Surprised? I'm not.
Metformin always helps me change hard fat mass into soft mass, which weighs less. SO I CAN EXERCISE the fat off.
Only problem is ....I cannot do much, hence a fatty body now compared to a heavier muscular one!
My body needs me to exercise this fat off.

Now I realise, only safe way is in moderation to prevent bursting a blood vessel. Literally!!!

Onwards and upwards!! Eh?

Last edited:

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@Snapsy I love the moderation exercise log thread too.

A great thread to not feel intimidated into hard heavy exercise. That is mainly down to you and @Japes currently, from what I can see. I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

In the new year when everyone joins the gym I will be daily noting my exercise efforts on that thread.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/regular-moderate-exercise-log.83995/page-78#post-1637455
I huge help and mental stability contained within too.

I do let xmas change my diabetes a little. The only xmas's I know were filled with luxury and treats, treats, treats. However I normally wear myself out too with extra shopping, carrying and stressing. Oh and normally overtime at work to pay for it all.
All will be diluted this year but still a great xmas. :) :) :)
Moderation, moderation. Moderation.
Wish you all a great xmas and a hugely successful New Year! :)

dipsydo

We are all different and so what works for me may not work for others so I have tried different options.I have just started Tai chi and find it helps me ... I also have started line dancing (I am useless as I am so uncoordinated but quite enjoy it ) my friend of a similar age has started pilates we both went along to taster classes to see what we like . U3A ( and I am sure other societies ) may well have some classes which people can try for a very reasonable price. I think people just have to find something which you enjoy . Walking is for me is good exercise and cost free but is a bit boring although I can do how much I can want without too much strain on the body.