ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hello Ickihun, I'm delighted to see you have got a Fitbit. I have had mine for a while and I LOVE it. It is SO motivating! At the same time I do sympathise with your digital technology teething problems. I always find getting started with one of these devices absolute agony. In my case, I have never been able to persuade my Fitbit to sync with my desktop computer. Instead I sync with my tablet and then look at the results on my desktop because that is bigger and clearer for my aging eyes! Of course all the results are also there on the tablet, or on a phone. You don't need a CD, just download from the internet. (For synoing directly with a desktop you do need the little USB key which I should think came with your Fitbit. You don't need the key for syncing with a phone or tablet, or to look at your data on your desktop once it is in your phone .)

I suggest you set a comfortably low target for your daily and weekly steps. Then when you have succeeded at that you can increase your target. There is absolutely no point in setting yourself up for failure. Your weekly target needs to be less than your daily target x 7, to allow for problems or a rest day. You can also set targets for floors climbed ( if you walk uphill outdoors your Fitbit will measure the altitude you reach in floors.) And you can set a target for miles. You need to put in your personal data so your Fitbit can calculate how many steps you do per mile!

I have never worked out how many steps etc I do in a year, but every so often Fitbit sends me encouraging emails telling me I have earned badges, or telling me how many steps I did last week. You will have to tell your Fitbit what kind of alerts you like to receive.

Good luck, don't forget to post reports on your Fitbit.
Thank you @Alexandra100. :)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Every step will make a difference, @ickihun - I don't know anything about recommended step numbers, but given what we folks on here know - in some cases to our cost - about recommended levels of this and that (hefty pinches of salt so often required!) I would want to challenge myself with a number that is comfortable but not so much as to cause me pain, discomfort or hypoglycaemia!

Hugs. Just getting out there is a Really Good Thing.

xxx

PS Wish I could help you with the techie stuff but I'm a lass from the dark ages...
Thanks @Snapsy. :)

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It was soooooooo muddy, hilly, puddly, sporadically rainy, and absolutely BRILLIANT!

My fairy lights twinkled all the way, and I didn't mind being pursued by reindeer or overtaken by several dozen Father Christmases and a blow-up Frosty the Snowman.

Ten very fun kilometres!

:happy:

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Snapsy . I'm seriously hoping this was some type of Xmas fun run.
If not then you guys in that neck of the woods play some very unusual games.:):):)
Sounds like you had fun. That's the most important thing.
But really overtaken by a blow up Frosty the Snowman ?
I just know I can get a mention of snowballs in this post but you're a lady so I'll spare you my dodgy sense of humour.:)

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Snapsy . I'm seriously hoping this was some type of Xmas fun run.
If not then you guys in that neck of the woods play some very unusual games.:):):)
Sounds like you had fun. That's the most important thing.
But really overtaken by a blow up Frosty the Snowman ?
I just know I can get a mention of snowballs in this post but you're a lady so I'll spare you my dodgy sense of humour.:)
Frosty did the 5k so I only had his company for half my distance - I didn't see him afterwards so I hope he - and indeed the snowballs you mention - hadn't melted..... ;)

This pic was snapped in the last kilometre or so - this is probably the flattest bit of the run, which was up and downhill across rural park and woodland. And yes, this morning's shenanigans fell squarely in the category 'fun run'. Just a little local one. I was possibly the least Christmas-themed runner there - and I'm not planning on donning stripy knitted woollen loungewear for running purposes ever again!

#blimeythatwaswarm

image.jpeg

Reactions: kev-w and Japes

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Did a session of 'inline reps' with the running club this evening - really good fun! We jogged in a straight line, and the person at the back had to SPRINT to the front and then slow down to a jog, and so it continued. We were on flat ground for that bit, having run down a very steep long hill to get there, and had to run back up it to get back.

Left calf is complaining a little so have been foam rolling it while simultaneous refuelling with the BEST homemade chilli my slow cooker and I have ever made.

WHY did I not realise that this is something I could have been enjoying YEARS ago?
(Exercise, I mean, not the chilli.)

:banghead:

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Did a session of 'inline reps' with the running club this evening - really good fun! We jogged in a straight line, and the person at the back had to SPRINT to the front and then slow down to a jog, and so it continued. We were on flat ground for that bit, having run down a very steep long hill to get there, and had to run back up it to get back.

Left calf is complaining a little so have been foam rolling it while simultaneous refuelling with the BEST homemade chilli my slow cooker and I have ever made.

WHY did I not realise that this is something I could have been enjoying YEARS ago?
(Exercise, I mean, not the chilli.)

Possibly, like me, you were totally put off by the majority of activities on offer in PE lessons? And, I was lucky enough to have two teachers who got that I tried, I really did, but I just didn't have any kind of natural athleticism, my hand/eye co-ordination worked best on musical instruments, not with a hands/bat or ball and the things I would have liked to have had a go at were out of my family's budget especially with the music I did? (And I paid for most of it myself through my Saturday job.).

I then spent the years between 25 and 45 in a situation which was also very financially restricting, and in which I had little time to do anything in the way of exercise. I did do a lot which was physically active - but no way could I have done the kind of walking I do now.

Fortunately, life changed, I live alone and now it's up to me to control my finances and time, it's possible. I do not in any way regret the choices I made in my 20s, but I am glad now, for my health's sake, I made the choice to change in my 40s and am consequently absolutely loving my 50s! (Even with the ups and downs of diabetes...)

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Possibly, like me, you were totally put off by the majority of activities on offer in PE lessons?
Those of us who had limited ability, no clue as to 'how' and an aversion to the bullying behaviour of a PE teacher with no comprehension or understanding that athletic giftedness is not inherent really really struggled. Hated every minute at the time.

Still, a PB at my new favourite parkrun this morning (it was my second run on that course). Cold, crisp, hilly, wooded and beautiful.

:)

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Last night I forgot to halve my teatime bolus, which is what I do the evening after a morning run.

It took me over an hour to get a blood sugar higher than 2 by bedtime.

Glucogel, Glucotabs, juice. Turned basal right down.

Woke up 15.9 at 2.30am. Corrected with a bolus.

Woke up 20.9 at getting-up time. Corrected with a bolus. Hiked basal too.

I am very very very cross indeed. Last year when I had an infection for 3 months was the last time I was 18. Normally a single Glucotab can get me from 2.7 to 5.7.

I know I overdid it with the glucose. I know that. But I just couldn't get higher than 'LO' on the Libre and 2.1 on my test meter. I had a real feeling of desperation.
I haven't 'rage-carbed' like this for years.

My next HbA1c is just before Christmas. Great.

On the plus side I'm in no fit state for this morning's long run with my gang. Delighted, as it's absolutely bucketing down with very cold rain - hah!

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Snapsy . That's a real pain in the ar*e. I think we've all done it at sometime. Times like this I really wish one of those smart ar*e experts was around to see how easy it isn't to " just have 20g carbs and you'll be fine. "
Everything for a reason though. A morning run in atrocious conditions........ a slip, twisted ankle or worse a break.
A chill, feeling bad and unable to get levels in range.
Live to fight another day;)

Reactions: kev-w and Snapsy

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Snapsy . That's a real pain in the ar*e. I think we've all done it at sometime. Times like this I really wish one of those smart ar*e experts was around to see how easy it isn't to " just have 20g carbs and you'll be fine. "
Everything for a reason though. A morning run in atrocious conditions........ a slip, twisted ankle or worse a break.
A chill, feeling bad and unable to get levels in range.
Live to fight another day;)
That's so kind, @therower . What was really freaking me out was that it was a 'waaaaaaay too much insulin on board' hypo rather than my very mild 'common or garden' variety, and in light of yesterday morning's news I think I was subconsciously suddenly very very aware of very very low lows, and I just panicked.

Kicking myself big time.

Oh, turns out the gang didn't run this morning anyway, although there are rumours of a long run this evening instead. We'll see. ;)

Reactions: Type1Bri

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Having skipped my swim I should join in with this thread :)

I swam 1400m breaststroke in 36 minutes Friday evening (but skipped the gym) and took the youngest swimming on Saturday (but skipped the gym) so made up for the gym yesterday afternoon, a bit tired today after the gym but my bloods were 6.1 and slowly dropping from my Lantus basal and I didn't fancy carb loading, so came home.

I'm definitely feeling my years :p

Reactions: Snapsy and Japes

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
How are you doing now, @Snapsy ?

I'm in an area with a lot of snow, so counted the housework I did when snowed in over the weekend as my exercise!

Today, however, in the absence of buses along most of my route (they always wimp out) I walked to work. Fascinating to discover it's 8300 steps in snow, as opposed to my usual 6500. I was then lent some snow grips to try for the walk home as it's getting colder and icier. Oh me, oh my, it was a gloriously steady walk home, at almost my normal speed and certainly more like my usual amount of steps, with the extra 1000 or so accounted for in the slight detour to Asda for milk for the neighbours to save them a walk out in this weather.

I, however, feel much better for getting out again.after the weekend cooped up indoors!

Reactions: Polgara and Snapsy

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Having skipped my swim I should join in with this thread :)

I swam 1400m breaststroke in 36 minutes Friday evening (but skipped the gym) and took the youngest swimming on Saturday (but skipped the gym) so made up for the gym yesterday afternoon, a bit tired today after the gym but my bloods were 6.1 and slowly dropping from my Lantus basal and I didn't fancy carb loading, so came home.

I'm definitely feeling my years :p

Welcome to the thread!

Reactions: kev-w

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
5km in heavy sleet yesterday morning, 30 lengths this morning, very challenging hill reps (no arms) on nearly-ice this evening (total just over 5km inc the there-and-back run).

Roll on summer - training in the wet and cold sure ain't floating Snapsy's boat!

Turns out half of my back-of-the-pack running mates have just registered for the Brighton Marathon in April! I'm not tempted....... although there are still two club places up for grabs, apparently.

No, no and again no.

Reactions: Type1Bri

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
5km in heavy sleet yesterday morning, 30 lengths this morning, very challenging hill reps (no arms) on nearly-ice this evening (total just over 5km inc the there-and-back run).

Roll on summer - training in the wet and cold sure ain't floating Snapsy's boat!

Turns out half of my back-of-the-pack running mates have just registered for the Brighton Marathon in April! I'm not tempted....... although there are still two club places up for grabs, apparently.

No, no and again no.
Go for it the training will keep you focused and motivated thru winter

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a mild hypo yesterday before afternoon gym, so sacked it off and got it done this morning, as I was rained off work & had to have bloods taken pre review, 3 set x 60 crunches and a back session, blood of 4.8 now pre lunch, and I've got my little un from school so should be swimming with her later.

Update :p Bloods dropped off again, so we sacked the swim, not impressed....

Last edited:
Reactions: therower and Snapsy

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Snapsy is obsessing about exercise. I'm beginning to worry a little about my feelings around it.

20 lengths this morning. Am all set for running club later.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Snapsy is obsessing about exercise. I'm beginning to worry a little about my feelings around it.

20 lengths this morning. Am all set for running club later.
Treat it as you might a passionate love affair. That is, as a joyful, life enhancing, energising, slightly insane experience which probably won't continue forever at quite this level of intensity, but may nonetheless lead to a lifelong positive relationship!

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Treat it as you might a passionate love affair. That is, as a joyful, life enhancing, energising, slightly insane experience which probably won't continue forever at quite this level of intensity, but may nonetheless lead to a lifelong positive relationship!
Thanks so much, @Alexandra100 ! I'm beginning to recognise some aspects of my relationship to food transferring to my relationship to exercise - but I am thinking the fact that I've recognised it and acknowledged it means perhaps that it isn't a 'thing'.
:)