Well I'm going to have to kick Muesli into touch...

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
supposedly healthy breakfast according to my DSN...

30 grams Tesco's no added sugar muesli with skimmed milk and a handful of blueberries... no sugar...

before: 6.7 (fasting)

2 hours after: 9.5!!!

Think I'm going to have to make time to do fry-ups instead now... that or else cook something up in the evening to have the next morning.

Greek Yoghurt and nuts?

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Re: Well I'm going to have to kick Meusli into touch...

Greek yogurt with blueberries, raspberries or strawberries. Even a big frittata is good cold and sliced. Boiled eggs kept in the fridge, I eat mine with a chunk of cheese and olives. Pretend your in Greece.

mrsknitty

I have either Greek Yoghurt with a few blueberries or scrambled eggs. I get the Yeo Valley Greek yoghurt which is so smooth and tasty that I often just have it on its own.

For scrambled eggs I add in a bit of cream and some French mustard and it is very tasty and fills me up for ages.

If you really love muesli you could try a tablespoon sprinkled onto yoghurt and see what happens ...

WhitbyJet

Paul_c said:
supposedly healthy breakfast according to my DSN...

30 grams Tesco's no added sugar muesli with skimmed milk and a handful of blueberries... no sugar...

before: 6.7 (fasting)

2 hours after: 9.5!!!

Think I'm going to have to make time to do fry-ups instead now... that or else cook something up in the evening to have the next morning.

Greek Yoghurt and nuts?

Paul have a look at this link, scroll down to Breakfast Cereals, maybe you find something suitable amongst that lot, you could always add a few oats to the seeds and see how it would affect your bg levels.
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4871&p=296904&hilit=low+carb+muesli#p296904

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Interesting, although I'm trying to restrict items to what I can get in the local shops cheaply. From what I can tell, a lot of those items tend to be sold in stupidly small quantities with a high mark-up :(

My local Julian Graves has closed down as well...

desidiabulum

You could also try scheduling intensive daily exercise an hour after breakfast -- this means I can get away with sprinkling granola on yoghurt & berries and even sneaking in a piece of low-carb toast occasionally while keeping levels low 2 hours after. Gives an extra incentive to exercise, which can't be a bad thing, and might mean that you could still have a modicum of muesli if you're very fond of it.

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If cost is a problem, then my suggestion of adding ground almonds to the mix is probably going to be too expensive, although Aldi is much cheaper for them.

CathyN

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
prejudice, racism, complacency, ignorance
I agree with the exercise theory. If I don't get some work in after breakfast, my levels are not good - but if I do something to burn it off ... success!! I haven't eaten muesli since diagnosis. Have eaten porridge though ... 42g serving with milk will be ok with exercise. Almond porridge is even better! There's life after muesli!!!! :)

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Recently changed my breakfast to something that is cereal like and very tasty. I was doing 40g of Greek yoghurt + 10g strawberry yoghurt + 25g ish of berries. I now do that plus I add around half a handful of flax seed and a similar quantity of white Chia seeds. Mix furiously and wait a couple of minutes for it to swell up. Very quick just takes 40 secs to defrost the berries in the microwave and is remarkably filling.

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
at the moment I'm unable to exercise in the manner I usually do as I've injured my knee meaning I can't cycle the 7 miles to work and back until it's better... I'm currently getting my exercise by doing a 30 minute walk after lunch around the industrial estate. Could do an additional 30 minute walk on arrival at work... oh well, best set off early then... :)

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
OK, this morning it was 6.1 fasting level before breakfast and 6.2 2 hours after with a 30 minute walk when I arrived at work.

Unfortunately, the breakfast wasn't the same as my blueberries had gone manky so had to chuck them away. Added some Omega 3 seed mix instead. Will be looking into getting frozen blueberries for year round convenience.