What happened to this guy who was 'cured' of type 1?

Krumova

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, my husband was just diagnosed with type 1 last month at the age of 28 (positive for GAD and Zink-transporter but no IA2). They started him with high doses of insulin before every meal and a 12 unit before sleep. It's barely been a month and he isn't taking any in the morning, injects 6 for lunch and 6 or 5 for dinner, and 5-6 before sleep and falls into hypo often. He also works out almost every day. A very interesting thing happened yesterday- he had some pastry for lunch and chocolate for the first time since we found out (he wanted to see what happens). His bs went to 9.0, then 14 in the next couple of hours but then he went for a little workout and his bs 2.5 hours after measuring 14 came down to 3.8 by itself. How long have you had t1 and did you just start experiencing these symptoms with the workouts?

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
He probably still makes some insulin. I did a workout a few months after diagnosis, actually 2, and ended up in the hospital after a seizure from hypoglycemia. I actually had one, went to ED, ate, went home, and had another one. Sometimes I think the people who are honeymoon might benefit the most from a CGM because they can go low so easy. 12 units of Novorapid and going to sleep? You gotta be careful there IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: mountaintom

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, my husband was just diagnosed with type 1 last month at the age of 28 (positive for GAD and Zink-transporter but no IA2). They started him with high doses of insulin before every meal and a 12 unit before sleep. It's barely been a month and he isn't taking any in the morning, injects 6 for lunch and 6 or 5 for dinner, and 5-6 before sleep and falls into hypo often. He also works out almost every day. A very interesting thing happened yesterday- he had some pastry for lunch and chocolate for the first time since we found out (he wanted to see what happens). His bs went to 9.0, then 14 in the next couple of hours but then he went for a little workout and his bs 2.5 hours after measuring 14 came down to 3.8 by itself. How long have you had t1 and did you just start experiencing these symptoms with the workouts?

Hi there - Is the 12 units your husband takes before sleep his long acting insulin, as opposed to faster acting to deal with food?

Krumova

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there - Is the 12 units your husband takes before sleep his long acting insulin, as opposed to faster acting to deal with food?
Hi, yes- it's long lasting but he already cut it down to 6 and for the last two days- to 5 units (last night I thought he had a little hypo so we might cut it even more). They prescribed 12 but from night one he was very uneasy, he was sweating and his BS levels in the morning were high.. Then we read an article that this might be a result from hypoglycemia during the night and that was exactly the case. One doctor told us he isn't making any insulin but that's not true. 80 % of type 1's do produce it. His BS wouldn't go down from 14 to 3.8 without it just like that :) Cases like Dan's and many others' prove that T1D is very unclear to doctors. I wonder how many other people recovered and their cases were left unreported.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
When people recover from type1 they are often told it was type2, as lots of people are not tested for antibodies. Clearly some of these people did have type1, we just don't know the numbers.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I don't think there will ever be a cure for type 1. The pharmaceutical companies will never allow it. Way too much money to be made. I hope I am wrong

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I don't think there will ever be a cure for type 1. The pharmaceutical companies will never allow it. Way too much money to be made. I hope I am wrong

I don't think there will be a 100% cure, but a radical change in diet on day one may cure a few poeple, as we do know that even in type1 the beta cell can recover, bit only if the body does not kill them all off. So if it can be detected soon enough a drug may be possible.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well I am, I have the antibodies.

I'm with you Phdiabetic- I have periods where regardless of what I eat my bg doesn't go out of normal range yet I've been tested and at the point the blood was drawn I had 0produced insulin. these can last for up too 2 weeks at a time where I massively reduce all insulin and then things return to normal.

gkyeo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Did a google search once on curing type 1. Came up with details about and Indian treatment, using large doses of niacin, for young people who were still in 'honeymoon' period. Seemed that a fluke or parasite, that is treatable with this vitamin, was disrupting the pancreas function. Sadly, I have never been able to find that site again. Nor did it give details of long term follow up etc. Oh that I'd heard of it 30 years ago.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Did a google search once on curing type 1. Came up with details about and Indian treatment, using large doses of niacin, for young people who were still in 'honeymoon' period. Seemed that a fluke or parasite, that is treatable with this vitamin, was disrupting the pancreas function. Sadly, I have never been able to find that site again. Nor did it give details of long term follow up etc. Oh that I'd heard of it 30 years ago.

If it was a fluke or parasite (may be a lot more common in Indian then the UK), the UK doctor, if they did their job correctly, would have labelled the person Type3c, not Type1. However remember that when someone is ill, then gets well, they don't care about labels.....

Krumova

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
I am interested to know, though, what is happening with the results of Daniel Darkes? Are they going to publish them or what? One of the most famous endos in my country hadn't even heard of his case before we told her about it :D I know the pharmaceutical companies must put much pressure on researchers not to do anything and keep it low but.. Come on, we live in the 21st century.

Reactions: Gina G

gkyeo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've just been reading about fasting in relation to regrowth of beta cells on mercola.articles.com. In my limited understanding it appears that the body does have ways and means to reproduce these cells. Anybody here doing fasting? I'm only doing peak fasting by having evening meal at 6pm and not eating before 11am. Not cured yet. :)

Gina G

It could easily be in your lifetime. Already the parts of the genome implicated in monogenic diabetes are being identified and in some cases being treated without insulin injections. Researchers believe they are close enough to a break through in MODY to ask people to consider DNA diagnosis and about 90 genetic regions involved in T2D have already been identified. Exciting times that just need everyone to support researchers and keep an open mind. Oh and then there is this https://www.diabetes.co.uk/blog/201...iabetes-a-month-ago-but-how-is-this-possible/ so with reports like this maybe scientists can accumalate enough data to suggest ways to manage the complex gene involved in the faulty auto immune response in months. We can only hope.

I've spoken with Johan Klose and today he is still off insulin and living a normal life, he is due to go to see the specalist in the near future so I'm sure they will be an update of this one too

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've just been reading about fasting in relation to regrowth of beta cells on mercola.articles.com. In my limited understanding it appears that the body does have ways and means to reproduce these cells. Anybody here doing fasting? I'm only doing peak fasting by having evening meal at 6pm and not eating before 11am. Not cured yet. :)
Dan Darkes is on Faceache, so you can follow his progress there