What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B- 2 boiled eggs and 1/2 a buttered toasted SRSLy roll ( I burnt the other half)
L- fairly unsatisfactory rushed meal 1 H/b egg. Slice of cheddar, stick of celery stuffed with cream cheese. Pudding was sort of lazy rhubarb fool: stewed rhubarb mixed with cream cheese and cream.
D- leftover stroganoff with buttered cabbage. DGF cookie and decaf coffee with cream.
@JenniferM55 great result with the apple experiment, how lovely to be able to enjoy them from your garden tree now. I really missed apples when I started this woe, now I might have one occasionally if a lovely neighbour gives me one from their garden. I think the imported commercially grown fruit is definitely sweeter than a delicious sharp garden apple.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Something wrong with the way I expressed that, so it was unclear. Can't for the moment think how else to say it. Feeling a bit dumb today.
I think you were saying 634 calories plus cups of tea (which will be zero unless there was milk in them). If so, that isn't a lot of calories, but there again, I only bother about carbs. I've never heard of Counterweight. What are they trying to achieve?

• Friendly
Reactions: Annb

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Emma Gill, the only thing I couldn't eat in there was porridge, much as I loved it. Porridge is one of these things some people can eat, other can't without a massive spike.

Tuesday 29 August - bed 5.4 FBG 5.9. Once again, BGs did not drift upwards following an early rise. It's been a pretty stable day. Hardly had a moment to myself today. The eldest had free periods, so I was back and forward with him, DIL needed a lift, and I had shopping to do!

B. TAG and LC granola with blackberries and sugar-free coconut milk.Benecol dairy free.

L. 2 slices of SRSLY toast with cheese triangles.

D. Chilli beef kebabs and veggie kebabs with alioli. Hubby popped a couple of bits of his chicken kebab on my plate. CC little chocolate pot and raspberries.

Back to the Doctor tomorrow morning to see if any more treatment needed.
20230829_184535.jpg

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all

Today:

B: Two poached eggs topped with butter, slices of avocado, seasoned with black pepper and a wedge of Gorwydd Caerphilly.
Water to swallow tablets
Espresso.

L: Salmon fillets baked with broccoli, mushrooms, cream and lemon verbena
Steamed asparagus spears topped with a generous knob of butter.
Salad made with sweet cicely, chicory, celery, green peppers, salad onions and flat leaf parsley, dressed with olive oil, garlic and a touch of lemon juice, topped with roasted macadamia nuts.
Skipped pud.
Water to drink.

D Seafood salad using king prawns, mussels, lettuce, cherry toms, chervil, Romano peppers, Kalamata olives and Welsh onions, dressed with an olive oil, balsamic and garlic vinaigrette, topped with toasted pine nuts.
Water to swallow tablets.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you, I will test tomorrow after porridge. Your food looks very colourful and interesting. Good luck at doctors tomorrow.
If you noticed it, a few posts back, I relayed the result of my experiment with porridge. By making it overnight, cooling in the fridge and reheating it next morning, some of the starch seems to have turned to cellulose, which isn't digested and reduces the spike (for me anyway). However I am blaming that porridge for an 8 whole points rise by the end of the day which I was unable to control adequately. So it isn't, in my case, just an immediate effect. It took much of the day to have an adverse effect. That is also worth bearing in mind when you test.

Having said that, it's great that you now have a BG monitor to help you see what food does to you immediately.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@Emma Gill, the only thing I couldn't eat in there was porridge, much as I loved it. Porridge is one of these things some people can eat, other can't without a massive spike.

Tuesday 29 August - bed 5.4 FBG 5.9. Once again, BGs did not drift upwards following an early rise. It's been a pretty stable day. Hardly had a moment to myself today. The eldest had free periods, so I was back and forward with him, DIL needed a lift, and I had shopping to do!

B. TAG and LC granola with blackberries and sugar-free coconut milk.Benecol dairy free.

L. 2 slices of SRSLY toast with cheese triangles.

D. Chilli beef kebabs and veggie kebabs with alioli. Hubby popped a couple of bits of his chicken kebab on my plate. CC little chocolate pot and raspberries.

Back to the Doctor tomorrow morning to see if any more treatment needed. View attachment 62898
Hope all goes well at the doctor's tomorrow.

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Streaky bacon and mushrooms for elevenses.

Had a packet of pork scratchings mid afternoon.

Tried 2 coated prawns, BG quickly reacted at 7.6, so they're now off the menu.

Lasagna (if you can call it that), I exchanged the béchamel for double cream with grated cheddar, also exchanged the pasta sheets for leek (not much though, I was surprised at how carby they are). It wasn't a success, I must remember that substituting the pasta with a veg in any classic pasta recipe the sauce needs to have less liquid.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a food dr bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and a carb killa.
Dinner: cheese and tomato omelette.

2023-08-29 20.21.29.jpeg

filly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
Coffee and cream
Coffee and unsweetened almond milk
Tea
Cheese and onion omlette
Jules ice Lolly
Steak and butter Avocado

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast: 2 soft boiled eggs and 2 RyVita with butter.
2nd meal: Minced pork with onion, apple, tinned tomatoes and a few haricot beans. Made enough for 4 meals so it was well within the calorie limit and over the day a bit high on carbs. That was the RyVita and the beans.
Not entirely sure that I'll last out the rest of the day with nothing else but in any case, although carbs are going to be out, I have plenty of leeway on the calories.

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today:

B: Two poached eggs topped with a knob of butter, slices of avocado and crevettes seasoned with black pepper.
Water to swallow tablets
Espresso.

L: Cheese-crusted omelette stuffed with chestnut mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, spinach and cream cheese plus grated Cheddar cheese for the crust.
Salad using lettuce, chicory, celery, salad onions, Kalamata olives and mint, dressed with an olive oil, garlic and balsamic vinaigrette, topped with walnut halves.
Strawberries and Greek full-fat yoghurt.

D: Seafood salad made with tiger prawns, brown shrimps, lettuce, sweet cicely, vine tomatoes, celery, Romano peppers, mustard cress and Welsh onions dressed with olive oil and a touch of lemon juice, parsley and garlic, plus toasted almonds.
Water to swallow tablets.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch of cheese and mushroom omelette with chilli sauerkraut.
4pm cheese crisps ( microwaved little heaps of grated cheddar) with pate
D- couple of fried minute steaks with sautéed red pepper and spinach. Threw a fried egg on top at the end, but before the photo.
IMG_3272.jpg

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a carb killa bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and a phd bar.
Dinner: salmon fillets with Brussels, carrots and peppercorn sauce.

2023-08-30 19.13.46.jpeg

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wednesday 30 August bed 6.4 FBG 6.1. It's definitely gout. Recommendation is yet another pill,but this GP gets me. He knew I'd be wary until I'd assessed the pros and cons. We've agreed I'll go for a blood draw in 4 weeks (they even put the appointment on!). If the uric acid levels are high, then we'll talk again. In the meantime, I have lists of foods that are best limited, more than a few I eat. This could get interesting.

B. TAG and LC granola with sugar-free coconut milk and blackberries. Benecol dairy free.

L. Nothing

D. Salmon fillet (oven cooked). I thought I'd overdone it, but it was just right. Salad alongside. CC little chocolate pot with raspberries.

Still lots of water.

If this flares up again, I 've to get an immediate prescription for colchicine. Otherwise, just make more diet adjustments.
20230830_183019.jpg

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I ended up stopping my stomach complaining too much last night with some smoked salmon and a few roasted peanuts. (A few more carbs but not much).

Today Breakfast: Greek yoghurt and 8 raspberries. I reckon 108 calories and <7g carbs.

2nd meal: I took 2 packets of soup out of the freezer. No idea what they are. One is very green, the other is very orange. I seem to remember not liking the green one very much although I did freeze it, so it couldn't have been too bad. I'll choose one and have it. Carbs? Shouldn't be much but since I don't know what they are, I can't be sure. Edit: the orange one is some kind of bouillabaise. That's the one I'll have. Some tomato in it but no other carbs, as I remember.

Probably a third meal today. That will be some more of the pork and tomato - that worked out at something less than 400 calories but did have almost 20 carbs. That's the haricot beans - not that there were all that many, but I shouldn't have put them in at all.

Weighed myself this morning and I've put another pound on. Not because of the advice given by the Counterweight nurse - I've only been counting calories for one day so it can't be that. Not that counting calories made me eat any more just more aware of how few I really am eating anyway.

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch - 3 hardboiled eggs with mayonnaise. There may or may not be a small plain Greek yoghurt later - depends if I get hungry.
Dinner will be a vaguely Mediterranean concoction involving aubergine, tomatoes, spring onions, a pepper, some leftover lamb from last night's joint, olive oil, garlic, vegetable stock cube, and sundry herbs. Pre-dinner will be 3 or 4 walnuts.
Not a wine week this week.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Any advice would be gratefully received re following meals so far today:
breakfast, porridge and 2 strawberries ( I have yet to find an alternative to porridge) readings of 4.7 prior and 6.2 two hours later.
lunch, 1 slice of wholemeal toast, 2 fried eggs, 1 tomato, lettuce and cucumber. Followed by, 1 actvia yogurt with 2 strawberries. readings of 4.4 prior and 7.3 (one hour later, couldn’t wait 2 hours as heading back to work.
this quantity of food is a big change for me)
I plan to eat veggie mince with lots of vegetables for main evening meal.……View attachment 62916View attachment 62917View attachment 62918
I find that any kind of cereal or starchy veg product causes a spike even with insulin beforehand. That means that, for me, porridge oats, toast, waffles, rice, pasta, corn or wheat breakfast cereals, potatoes are out of the question. This may not be the case for you so you need to check the readings for yourself, as you are doing and then you can see what does cause a spike.

To replace these, an omelette - perhaps with cheese, mushrooms, bacon or ham take very little extra time and should keep hunger at bay. Greek yoghurt with berries makes a good breakfast but doesn't stave off those hunger pangs for all that long. Some people make different kinds of porridge (coconut/goji berry and so on) which are much less likely to cause a spike. There are also things called "chaffles" made with eggs and cheese which can be eaten instead of toast. I have a recipe for those somewhere but will have to hut it out, if you are interested. Others have the recipe and might be able to find it more quickly than I can. Or there are "melts" - can be tuna or other protein which are a bit like muffins for breakfast.

Bread of any kind is also out for me - even half a slice of wholemeal bread/toast needs large quantities of insulin to cope. Same with crispbreads like RyVita.

Veggie mince should be fine, unless there are many root veggies or potatoes in it or with it. All veggies have some carbs but those grown above ground have less (fruits are another matter though, but some like berries or even a little tomato aren't too bad). Onions are one veg I can't do without but they have carbs in as well. For me (I stress that it is only for me) I have to keep the carbs as low as possible or I have to use a ridiculous amount of insulin to deal with the rise. You may be different though and the only way to tell is to keep testing.