What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My friend, here on the Island, always felt very low in the winter. As the days got darker, so did his mood and, living here, life was very difficult for him. I discussed with his wife a few times the effect that the darker days had on him and whether one of the, then new, light boxes would be helpful and eventually she bought one for him. He hasn't lifted completely out of his dark moods in the winter, but it made a big difference. Much more willing to go out and do things, rather than sit in the chair brooding and dozing most of the time from October to March. Would something like that make a difference for you Antje?
Thank you for your kind suggestion @Annb !
My reply got too long and off topic for this thread so I took it to the parallel thread instead. :) https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-parallel-chat.177870/post-2672413

saky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Break fast - 90 grams salted almonds. Almond milk coffee
Lunch - 1 egg white, salad, mix veg fry,brocoli-spinach soup. Almond milk coffee
Snack - 70grams salted almonds. Green kahwa tea.
Dinner - spinach&brocoli soup, salad, green tomato chutney, snake gourd chutney.
1705378835227.jpeg
1705378848071.jpeg

RosemaryJackson

Morning all. Pensioners lunch, from here on in it will be called Monday lunch! Pensioner makes me feel old and I'm only 85. We had soup to start then cottage pie and then my sf jelly, so not too bad. Today I'm having bacon, eggs and mushrooms for lunch and probably a tin of salmon and mayo, my favourite. Hope you all have a great day. :)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Just had 2 RyVita with cheese melted onto them for my breakfast. Just couldn't be bothered faffing around with bacon and eggs but still needed something hot inside me. Although I now find that I can drink my tea without milk, it doesn't warm me as well as tea with milk. Just seems too insubstantial to me. Maybe winter isn't the best time to start any more reductions in food and drink.

2nd meal today will be salmon with some shredded Brussels sprouts (Neil bought some more yesterday). It's either that or leeks and I have a feeling I'd be better making soup with the leeks to have something ready to heat up on standby.

Potteron

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Started today as usual with goat milk kefir and vitamins then it all became a bit frustrating. I had a doc appt at 9:00 but my car was frozen solid and I couldn’t get the door open. Luckily the surgery is only 20 min fast walk away so I just about made it ( I was going to drive so I could go shopping afterwards). Once home I spent the rest of the morning trying to get through to HMRC. When I finally did, I was told they had an 8 month backlog before my particular pension query would be assessed!
Lunch was a small cup of leftover broccoli cheddar soup, then salami crisps used to scoop up cream cheese and a DGF cake.
Mid aft 20g Montezuma’s chocolate, still feeling frustrated after the phone call.
Dinner: more leftovers - hogget and veg from yesterday then frozen blueberries mashed into cream to make ice cream.
@shelley262 you’ve inspired me to try black tea again, I’ve had 3 cups today. I think the trick for me is to make it much weaker than I’d usually have it.
@PenguinMum I keep meaning to ask if you’ve had an email from LoDough saying they will be back in 2024? I know that you, like me, enjoyed them as pizza bases.
@maglil55 more hugs from me for the norovirus and horrible bug. Did you get offered a trial of the new DD Hava app?
Hi, was just looking to see if anyone else has mentioned the new DD Hava app. I've been recording my meals on it since 4th Jan. Think I'm getting the hang of it now but find I have to plan meals carefully if I'm to hit the protein target. In fact I've had to get some protein shake powder as was constantly failing to meet their target. I must have been eating insufficient protein for years. I'm also doing Dry January so hopefully if the satiety is working its helping me not to snack instead of drink :happy:. Are you using Hava and how you finding it?

Hope its OK to post this here.

saky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast - salted almonds 80grams. Coffee with cow milk
Snack - winter melon juice.
Lunch - salad, egg whies, snake gourd chutney, green tomato chutney, spinach&brocoli soup.
Snack - 90grams salted almonds. Coffee with almond milk.
Dinner - cabbage fry, salad, egg whites, snake gourd chutney.
1705417730842.jpeg
1705417761116.jpeg
1705417783957.jpeg

derekhansen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast - Don't eat breakfast.
Lunch - 2 scrambled eggs with grated Gouda cheese and a cold pork sausage. A handful of salted peanuts. A fresh pear.
Dinner will be - Lamb chops with savoy cabbage and broccoli. Followed by Greek yoghurt with fresh Raspberries and chia seeds.

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, was just looking to see if anyone else has mentioned the new DD Hava app. I've been recording my meals on it since 4th Jan. Think I'm getting the hang of it now but find I have to plan meals carefully if I'm to hit the protein target. In fact I've had to get some protein shake powder as was constantly failing to meet their target. I must have been eating insufficient protein for years. I'm also doing Dry January so hopefully if the satiety is working its helping me not to snack instead of drink :happy:. Are you using Hava and how you finding it?

You might get a better response from your post having it's own thread. I didn't know Hava was having an app. I am on their mailing list, but I guess I must have missed the information. I was curious if I could afford joining Hava, it does sound rather good as anything that comes from Diet Doctor is great. Presently all my custom recipes are on Cronometer which suits me at the moment.

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning,
My daily breakfast is one Avocado juice , one cup oats with milk and one coffee I am a type two diabetes my morning blood sugar was 169 I don't know what is going with me any advise please ..?
Hi @snawaz, do you log all your food to add up carbs consumed? There are quite a few food apps on line with a choice of either having the paid premium app or the free basic one. A few of them are MyFitnessPal, FatSecret, CarbManager, there are loads more, I use Cronometer.

Having a cup of oats with milk would have sent my bg up too :oops: .

filly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
Coffee and cream x 2
Coffee and unsweetened almond milk
Cottage cheese tomatoes
Keto lc roll with butter and brown shrimp

Potteron

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You might get a better response from your post having it's own thread. I didn't know Hava was having an app. I am on their mailing list, but I guess I must have missed the information. I was curious if I could afford joining Hava, it does sound rather good as anything that comes from Diet Doctor is great. Presently all my custom recipes are on Cronometer which suits me at the moment.
Will do :)) I saw on a search that @DJC3 had mentioned it so was just after her thoughts.

shelley262

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast - Don't eat breakfast.
Lunch - 2 scrambled eggs with grated Gouda cheese and a cold pork sausage. A handful of salted peanuts. A fresh pear.
Dinner will be - Lamb chops with savoy cabbage and broccoli. Followed by Greek yoghurt with fresh Raspberries and chia seeds.
Welcome back to the low carb thread I find it helpful to log as often as possible as it keeps me motivated.

shelley262

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I haven't used Hava but am interested in the protein and satiety link. I find that if I eat low protein I definitely feel hungrier but it's hard to eat lots partly because it is so filling! I don't use an app to log after 7 years of eating low carb and checking my bgs I am broadly aware of what Im aiming for and suits my bgs and weight but I tend to only count the carbs not the fat and protein.

shelley262

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mid morning kefir and supplements
Late lunch cooked some mushrooms in olive oil and two eggs served on one slice of LC bread toasted and buttered
Dinner hm Bolognese then a few berries and yoghurt also just had two squares of 90% chocolate with my decaffeinated coffee
I'm still sticking to black coffee and starting to enjoy it so think it's unlikely I'll go back to cream in my coffee.