What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
{{{{Hugs }}} to @Antje77

Is this the thread where where was talk about purple sprouting broccoli? Spotted in Aldi today British grown. Bought some, not cooked it yet but looks the proper stuff
This was certainly one of the threads @MrsA2. Terrific news! We have an Aldi store within striking distance so shall investigate. Thanks for the tip,

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Will dig out a few easy recipes and post tomorrow probably pm. There are both kimchi and sauerkraut I had sauerkraut today. Maybe this is one that needs it's own thread like the kefir thread for people to refer to but will give it some thought tomorow after my fence painting....
I would be very interested in a thread on kimchi as well, so maybe not go the PM route...
Your English is nigh on perfect @Antje77 but, for future reference, whereas Dutch, German, Czech and Polish speakers make photos, in English we take pictures and photos with a camera (although an artist might make a sketch). There's no logical reason for this, AFAIK. In French, the verb prendre is used, so that's probably where it comes from.

Please don't worry about going OTT, Most of us do that every once in a while. If we simply posted our meals day after day, this thread would read like a telephone directory!
Ah, yes, finally someone who understands I want to be corrected on my English, thank you! :joyful:
Correcting people on the internet is rather controversial, so it's very hard to get people to help you out if you'd like to improve. I think the main thing you see in my posts is sometimes an odd way I compose my sentences. I often see it's not quite right but by now I'm good at deciding it's ok, although I'd still love to know where I go wrong.
When I react to an urgent question I don't care at all, sometimes the main thing is getting the message across before a member leaves again.

I'd never have found that making/taking thing with pictures on my own, the word is simply not notable enough to catch your attention unless someone points it out.
I do hope I've gotten rid of most Americanisms by now, another thing which is very hard to learn as a foreigner. :)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I would be very interested in a thread on kimchi as well, so maybe not go the PM route...

Ah, yes, finally someone who understands I want to be corrected on my English, thank you! :joyful:
Correcting people on the internet is rather controversial, so it's very hard to get people to help you out if you'd like to improve. I think the main thing you see in my posts is sometimes an odd way I compose my sentences. I often see it's not quite right but by now I'm good at deciding it's ok, although I'd still love to know where I go wrong.
When I react to an urgent question I don't care at all, sometimes the main thing is getting the message across before a member leaves again.

I'd never have found that making/taking thing with pictures on my own, the word is simply not notable enough to catch your attention unless someone points it out.
I do hope I've gotten rid of most Americanisms by now, another thing which is very hard to learn as a foreigner. :)
Many native English speakers use Americanisms these days, Antje. Regrettable in my book, but it's just something that happens more and more often. Neil tells me that the language must change to keep up with the times and I know he's right but I notice that he always uses correct, what might now be called old-fashioned English. He doesn't like the changes any more than I do! But, we have to remember that the language is the one we use, it isn't ours so if someone decides to use more modern words and expressions, who are we to try to stop them?

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all

Today:

B: Two poached eggs topped with a knob of butter, avocado and four tiger prawns, seasoned with a good grinding of black pepper.
Water to swallow tablet.
Espresso.

Courgetti alla puttanesca
with anchovies, Kalamata olives, capers, canned tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, butter, oregano and spiralised courgettes.
Braised cavolo nero with garlic and toasted almonds.
Skipped pud.
Water to drink.

D: Seafood salad made with brown shrimps, mussels, shredded red cabbage, apple peel, celery, baby plum tomatoes and flat-leaf parsley with a dollop of aioli for dipping, topped with toasted pistachios.
Water to swallow tablets.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
And there’s one right there, ‘gotten’. In English I’d say ‘ I do hope I’ve got rid of most Americanisms’. Though gotten is creeping in more and more!
And here I thought I was doing pretty well with your irregular verbs! You might think I'm crazy, but I love irregular verbs (in both our languages).
In Dutch, new verbs are (almost?) always regular. Which results in completely ridiculous and delightful constructions like 'gedeletete' (where the last 'te' is silent). 'Deleten' (to delete) is a newish verb, and following Dutch grammar rules, 'the deleted post' becomes 'het gedeletete bericht'.

MommaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not really a recipe, but I just used reduced sugar tomato ketchup (I couldn't find sugar free) mixed with about the same amount of mayonnaise, and a touch of smoked paprika. It was nice, actually.
That’s how I do it too. Often with a touch of horseradish and or lemon juice if I have them. I also weirdly love it as the sauce for a sausage and egg breakfast sandwich.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning on this sunny day. I had 3 sausages yesterday for my tea/dinner. and today I'm having 3 more with veg and gravy. I'm also making a beef stew for tomorrow. I didn't eat much yesterday because it was weighing-in day and I lost 5 lbs. Have a nice day folks. :happy:
Well done on the weight loss Rosemary. Keep up the good work.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Haven't had breakfast yet, but it's ready to go. Chopped up bits of h/m sausage in a 3 egg omelette. That will, in all probability, be the only meal today but there's some cheese if I need a snack.

I don't have any meat left, apart from sausages and some frozen roast pork, but Neil is stocking me up today. I've been looking up suggested carnivore diets but most seem to rely heavily on steak - not the most expensive meat, but still pretty costly here. It's going to be a bit boring just using minced cheap cuts but a challenge to my invention/imagination, I suppose. There is always pork - it's relatively cheap and there's lamb, but it is in no way cheap (more expensive even than beef) and there's fish of various sorts - not usually very good in our supermarkets and quite limited in the 2 fish shops here - ling, ling and more ling or salted cod for the most part.
Well - if my friend can do it, so can I - just have to be inventive or just try to have the same attitude as Neil - food is fuel, it isn't for enjoyment. I'm not expecting to make this a permenant change in my diet - just a month to try to boost my weight loss.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Haven't had breakfast yet, but it's ready to go. Chopped up bits of h/m sausage in a 3 egg omelette. That will, in all probability, be the only meal today but there's some cheese if I need a snack.

I don't have any meat left, apart from sausages and some frozen roast pork, but Neil is stocking me up today. I've been looking up suggested carnivore diets but most seem to rely heavily on steak - not the most expensive meat, but still pretty costly here. It's going to be a bit boring just using minced cheap cuts but a challenge to my invention/imagination, I suppose. There is always pork - it's relatively cheap and there's lamb, but it is in no way cheap (more expensive even than beef) and there's fish of various sorts - not usually very good in our supermarkets and quite limited in the 2 fish shops here - ling, ling and more ling or salted cod for the most part.
Well - if my friend can do it, so can I - just have to be inventive or just try to have the same attitude as Neil - food is fuel, it isn't for enjoyment. I'm not expecting to make this a permenant change in my diet - just a month to try to boost my weight loss.
I've been using expensive meats to get into a more carnivore way of eating but I'm going to switch to cheaper cuts like stewing steak which I can do in the slow cooker. And I'm going to eat lots more eggs, in various ways. Like you I just want to do it for a while and see how it goes, I want to make some positive changes in my weight and health and then reintroduce some things carefully.

I am eating too much at the moment but I think that may be related to my over/binge eating disorder and I'm hoping this way of eating might be the way to re-educate my appetite. Goodness knows ozempic didn't even work for me long term! But then I was consuming carbs almost exclusively and that very likely scuppered the effects.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all, went all out for carnivore today, but ate a lot of it. I'm not sure why because I'm not having hunger pangs but just felt like I needed it - maybe compulsion, or maybe I just need to adjust to not having sides. I don't know. Not going to worry too much!

Lamb steaks with garlic butter x 3!!
pork puffs x2
fahita seasoned chicken breast x 2 (with added chicken fat)
very small bowl 10% fat greek yogurt

Feel very full now!

@shelley262 I've had to put my kefir grains in the freezer, I can't keep up with them!

@IanBish, do you have a recipe for the home made marie rose sauce? That looks amazing!
I do my own Marie Rose, too. Mayonnaise, dash of double cream, squeeze of tomato puree, paprika to season, sometimes a dash of brandy. If you want more heat, a few drops of tabasco. Mayo - a couple of tablespoons usually does it. All you do is pop it in a bowl and mix until combined.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I do my own Marie Rose, too. Mayonnaise, dash of double cream, squeeze of tomato puree, paprika to season, sometimes a dash of brandy. If you want more heat, a few drops of tabasco. Mayo - a couple of tablespoons usually does it. All you do is pop it in a bowl and mix until combined.
Similar to mine but without the brandy and the tabasco. Sometimes a dash of lemon juice to wake it up a bit and sometimes some h/m tomato ketchup instead of the tomato puree.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Saturday 30 March bed 8.1 FBG 7.6. Still afflicted by this bug. I did get out, and the youngest grandson came to assist (which he did) because I "wasn't very well." That was the limit of my efforts today.

B. TAG and 2 slices of SRSLY toast with pate. Benecol dairy free.

L. 2 mini cheese portions

D. Cold cuts - ox tongue, ham, German mini sausage, corned beef, roast beef. Coleslaw, veggie salad, egg mayo. Halo Top & raspberries. Gin & soda.

Sunday 31 March bed 8.0 FBG 7.6 BGs are yoyo-ing up and down with this bug.

L. Took grandson to last swimming lesson before the break. Humidity in the pool gallery helped me a bit.

D. Campari and soda. Roast lamb with mint sauce, green beans, asparagus, half a roast potato.

Monday 1 April - bed 7.9 FBG 7.6. I still can't shake this bug. Hubby's cough has got worse. I just feel very weak. My only effort was to deliver Easter eggs to my SIL for her grandkids.

L. Nothing

D. Remains of the roast lamb with mint sauce, green beans, 1/2 a roast potato. Scoop of Halo Top with raspberries. Very cooling on the throat!

I've taken to gargling with diluted TCP now, but it doesn't last.

Cat-A-Tonic

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being deprived of Cake!
kielbasa sausages sliced, ramona's jalapeno hummus, and a couple of slices of stone baked rye bread (kelderman)

brunch, i suppose. no idea on dinner...made myself post on here for accountability...i'm not doing too well when it comes to making healthier/lower carb choices so am attempting a food diary, of sorts, by posting here.

the aim is to eat low carb for a couple of months but am struggling to find a simple (and affordable) menu that does not require much effort or preparation (yes, i am lazy lol)

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

started the thread as promised
tagging @IanBish too

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello all, today went quite quickly but I didn't do much!

2pm - 4pm
3 hard boiled eggs
3 heck sausages with a bit of wensleydale crumbled on top - disappointed with the heck sausages this time, pieces of gristle or bone in them and they are a bit tough so will look for an alternative
pork puffs
chicken breast pieces (small bowl) with a tablespoon of sour cream

I'm full but may have some ham and full fat soft cheese in a bit to avert late night hunger and midnight feasting, although tempted to fast. Hmm... we'll see!

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Out first thing fence painting and the sun shone while out there we were very lucky - rain back now!
Late lunch kefir then sauerkraut, cheese, 20g of nuts and 6 LC seeded crackers followed by last DGF LC chocolate small egg
IMG_20240402_123807_burst_01 (2024-04-02T17_34_36.000)_kindlephoto-1757059394.jpg

Dinner real treat of steak, cauliflower mash, mushrooms onions and a few tomatoes.
IMG_20240402_170934_kindlephoto-1756954309.jpg