What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Last 24 hours with estimated carb count:

usual four shots out of a six shot mocha pot, with double cream and stevia: (zero)

Low carb SRSLY bun toasted with butter: (2g)

can zero carb caffeine drink: (zero)

3 fried eggs, 4 Italian fennel sausages (99% meat), 60g Stornoway black pudding, 3 slices bacon: (10-15g, from the pudding)

440ml Lime Rock IPA: (2g)

glass bourbon: (zero)

and this morning's usual four shots out of a six shot mocha pot, with double cream and stevia (zero).

ravensmitten

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, @ravensmitten, of course it was as an attempt at a bit of humour.

Regarding the cat thing, my old neighbour used to leave the small (top) kitchen window open when she was cooking. Whenever she roasted a chicken, a nearby cat would get in.

Anyway, to stay on topic, I just had some air-fried chicken legs, followed by some mixed nuts, with a couple of squares of 85% dark chocolate.

Funnily enough, I have a hilarious photograph I have to find of just that, the little mite trying to get in through the window.

Sorry to hear about your accident and hope you manage to keep some movement going despite your pain - it must be difficult. As you say earlier though trying to keep on track as much as possible with managing your carbs is even more important when struggling with other physical issues as well as type 2 diabetes. From various stuff I've read over the years keeping carbs and processed food low can also help lower inflammation and consequently pain management so you may get more improvements from keeping low carb.

Thank you, you are right, the last time my I had the same injury, it seemed to heal much quicker when I switched to low carb foods, could have been a coincidence but I think there’s something in it. I do have arthritis too, have done since a young age and it does feel much less inflamed when I eat well. Think at the moment a few things are flaring up because of the injury. I do think it’s more connected to the neck than the shoulder itself but doctors and physio seemed not to think so despite not having an X-ray or a scan. Funnily neck rehab seems to minimise the pain I’m having really well.

Works for me too @ravensmitten.

So sorry to hear about your accident. You may seize up overnight but, despite the pain, you're wise to keep moving as much as possible during the day; rested but mobile.

Injury can temporarily raise your blood glucose as you realise, so I’d certainly delay your HbA1c test.
All the best.

Thanks, agree

Less carbs today, surprisingly was only hovering around 6 recently despite discrepancies/injuries.

Will be my last post in this thread, didn't realise there was even another thread because the forum is so fragmented, sorry. Not personally interested in just reading/just posting meals myself but understand others might not be interested in the chatter at all, the value for me is the wonderful community of people posting in here so will jump ship to the other thread if there's more of a community chat thing over there. Apologies for taking things off topic so much (hold my hands up I'm def an 'offender' here.)

@mods move my post/s if need to/bothers anyone.

Last edited:

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all. I got a good day in the garden today in spite of the ground being very squishy.

9.30 am Glass of kefir
10.30 am Greek yogurt and cream (I add the cream because Fage have gone from 10% fat to 5%)

4.30 pm
Pork puffs
Lamb steaks
Greek yogurt and cream

@ravensmitten I hope you'll still post here, I'm sure a little bit of chat is ok. And I hope you feel better after your accident too x

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all today's food
Breakfast hm kefir then two boiled eggs and LC roll
Lunch a few frozen raspberries mixed with hm yoghurt then a few squares of Montezuma s 100% orange oil chocolate.
Dinner slow cooked Bolognese with about 20g of low carb pasta cooked in in last hour. Served with glass of red wine. Pudding LC blondie.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a carb killa bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and an Aldi protein bar.
Dinner: gammon steak, cauliflower, broccoli and carrots.

2024-04-17 18.59.56.jpeg

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lunch a few bits of cheese, four LC seeded crackers and small salad. My salad was a mix of avocado, hm sauerkraut and some microgreens. @DJC3 I have been thinking of buying a micrgreens kit like yours but hadn't got round to it so was thrilled yesterday in Waitrose when spotted micrgreens for £2.25 think they will do a few days to improve salads
View attachment 67207

View attachment 67208
Evening @shelley262. Those microgreens look tempting. Once harvested, will they grow again?

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Active morning meant "breakfast" slipped to 11:30
Full fat yoghurt, 8 blackberries, 8 walnut halves, a splash of double cream.
Later a big of cheesies

D: 2 egg omelette with leeks and cheese. Green bean salad. 3 glasses white wine and soda.
We had a vegetarian visitor so I did a leek risotto and had to taste it a few times. Served with extra cheese and bread and butter

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Will be my last post in this thread, didn't realise there was even another thread because the forum is so fragmented, sorry. Not personally interested in just reading/just posting meals myself but understand others might not be interested in the chatter at all, the value for me is the wonderful community of people posting in here so will jump ship to the other thread if there's more of a community chat thing over there. Apologies for taking things off topic so much (hold my hands up I'm def an 'offender' here.)
Evening @ravensmitten.

I hope you'll still post here every now and again. I'm sure some food-related chat is acceptable.
If everyone simply posted the day's meals without further comment, this thread would read like a telephone directory!
It's a question of striking the right balance, I suppose.

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all

Today:

B: Two poached eggs topped with a knob of butter, avocado and four tiger prawns seasoned with a good grinding of black pepper.
Water to swallow tablet.
Espresso.

L: Courgetti alla puttanesca made with anchovies, Kalamata olives, capers, canned tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, butter, oregano and spiralised courgettes.
Braised cavolo nero with garlic and toasted almonds.
Skipped pud.
Water to drink.

D: Seafood salad made with brown shrimps, cockles and mussels, rocket, Romano peppers, celery, baby plum tomatoes, Kalamata olives, oregano and salad onions, dressed with an olive oil, balsamic and garlic vinaigrette, topped with pistachio nuts.
Water to wash down tablets.

ravensmitten

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@LivingLightly @jpscloud

Yes, thank you. Not being a martyr there. to be a little more specific (although it interests me far less as a discreet activity) and with some background chat, thanks @Antje77 - take that as last non-food related chat post specifically, jumping ship for most other off topic chat.

Today was nothing much exciting. BG seems fine too, avg 5.5 all day

5 raspberries and yoghurt for breakfast.
Lunch, Egg Bacon & Sausage.

Last edited:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast: the 2nd half of the meatzza from yesterday. Added a bit more cheese; just because there was a little cube left and it wasn't worth saving.

2nd meal will be pork loin steaks (Neil couldn't find any chops for me) with some cabbage. The added veg this week has made me put a kilo back on whereas without veg I had lost more than a kilo the week before. BG is a bit up as well - not too high, but I'm keeping an eye on it.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
MIA again not sure when I last appeared. Been a challenging week. Eye injection on Tuesday was complicated and the injector in frustration I suspect had a rant and made it all my fault. He even managed to bruise my cheek underneath. The new bathroom finished but the shower pump failed and needs to be replaced, not sure how long it will take. One of my cats having a tooth removed today the cost of which is alarming.
Tried to speed read all your posts. @maglil55 thanks for the chicken cacciatore recipe very useful for whole chicken legs. @ravensmitten sorry to hear about your accident and hope you are getting better and as others said I hope you will dip into this thread when you can. There’s such a nice community here.
So yesterday usual brekkie slice of LC toast, cooled with thick butter, copious tea. Lunch was two hardboiled eggs with mayo piled on top of slice LC bread.
Supper was chicken, chorizo, red pepper stirfry with paprika and cauli rice.
Today same brekkie.
Lunch eggs again, scrambled with Parmesan shavings on top.
Supper will be chunky cod fingers and broccoli.

sueh21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In beautiful Slovenia. Low carb going well, window shopping only for the beautiful pastries:)
Yesterday
B Yog,blueberries,seeds
L Cheese salad
D Butterflied grilled chicken breast with mozzarella and tomato topping,sautéed aubergine and courgette.Glass of the Slovenian dry red wine.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow well done for resisting those pastries @sueh21 ! I'm not sure I could!

Hungry and snacky day for me today:

10am
3 eggs and 2 slices of bacon
Greek yogurt with cream
Glass Kefir

2pm
Pork puffs x 2

3.30pm
Beef mince cooked in marrowbone broth (will have some more in a bit, but was hungry so had a small bowl early).

Later will have some greek yogurt with cream again and maybe a couple of montezouma's buttons.

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
Me too @sueh21. Up against some stiff competition but, forced to choose between the varied cuisines of European countries, Italian food would be without doubt my favourite. Italians know what they're doing with coffee as well!
I have had many meals outside with the sun going down, in the little village in Sicily where relatives live. Vineyard just down the road and so many glasses of vino, cannot beat it. That's where I fell in love with the cooked muscles with drizzled lemon juice, fresh fish and olives. I cook so much with the Italian herbs, it takes me back to happier times. I even managed to keep my basil plant alive this year on my window sill. I love the Italian coffee but cannot tolerate it, and the biscuits are more the size of cakes! Happy times :)

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@sueh21 you are doing so well staying low carb as you interail across Europe there are lots of temptations - impressive window shopping in bakeries I tend to look the other way to make sure don't get tempted!
@PenguinMum your eye injection sounds a bit traumatic - hope bruising settles
Today's food
Small hm kefir mid morning
Lunch shared a three egg omelette cooked with a few mushrooms, baby tomatoes and cheese and served with a snip of my microgreens talking of which @LivingLightly I think they will be a one crop only.
IMG_20240418_131031.jpg

Then a couple of English strawberries with hm yoghurt
Dinner cauliflower mash with salmon and glass of dry white wine.

MommaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@sueh21 you are doing so well staying low carb as you interail across Europe there are lots of temptations - impressive window shopping in bakeries I tend to look the other way to make sure don't get tempted!
@PenguinMum your eye injection sounds a bit traumatic - hope bruising settles
Today's food
Small hm kefir mid morning
Lunch shared a three egg omelette cooked with a few mushrooms, baby tomatoes and cheese and served with a snip of my microgreens talking of which @LivingLightly I think they will be a one crop only.
View attachment 67233
Then a couple of English strawberries with hm yoghurt
Dinner cauliflower mash with salmon and glass of dry white wine.
Have you considered growing sprouts in a jar. Very easy and quick to grow a whole variety of tasty little sprouts. It’s particularly useful in winter when little else can be grown here, or if staying somewhere else for more than a week.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a carb killa bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and another carb killa bar.
Dinner, hubby had a rare evening off so we went out to Nando’s. I had 4 boneless chicken breasts with lemon and herb sauce, brocolli and coleslaw.

2024-04-18 19.24.46.jpeg

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dinner, hubby had a rare evening off so we went out to Nando’s. I had 4 boneless chicken breasts with lemon and herb sauce, brocolli and coleslaw.
The little flag in your dinner makes it such a happy dinner, it made me smile!

Haven't posted on here in a couple of days because still getting used to this working thing and being tired when I get home.
Also because my meals have been quite boring, onion soup all week.

No onion soup today. I first found the courage to have my neighbour remove the stitches in my finger and had a couple of beers with him, then I was sensible enough to go home again to make sure I wasn't risking a good night of sleep before work tomorrow.
Another day of soup should have happened, but it was a long and useful phonecall with a friend instead, after which I decided to have an amazing pan fried low carb 'tostie': Two slices of LC bread, mature Gouda, chorizo and Muenster, with a dip of mayonnaise mixed with some Branston pickles and hot sauce. :hungry:

1713473558355.png