What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This evening I had wild (allegedly) salmon with mushrooms, peas and some buttery, starch-resistant mash. It was all very nice.

View attachment 67443
Do you know the origin of the salmon? @IanBish. Doesn't look like the Pacific sockeye we tried recently, does it?
My mouth is watering! Unfortunately, I'm reading this just before bed and I really don't want to eat any more tonight.
How wise @Alexandra100. It's not good to eat late at night. We may be able to get away with it when we're young, but as we age, it's sensible to give our pancreas and liver a rest overnight.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd love a recipe /instructions. I'm wanting to ferment my own but lack confidence.
A forum member recently started a thread on this. She's currently on holiday.
I did some following her instructions and it worked well for me. Less than half a white cabbage made loads!

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Please, how are your mussels prepared? Do you cook your own? Where do you buy them? I used to buy them in a jar, but the vinegar was too strong for my taste.
Evening @Alexandra100. I buy my mussels from our trusty independent fishmonger. We're fortunate to have one within strilking distance and, if we don't use them, we lose them!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: full fat greek yoghurt with 8 blackberries and milled seeds. Cwc
Went to Opticians and something sparked a migraine (lights, noise, perfumes, hard looking, who knows?) So spent rest of the morning dozing in a dark room, which wasn't the plan :banghead:

L: at pub, ham eggs and chips. Very good, very large portion of ham, 2 good eggs and I ate about 6 chips (it was too cold and wet to order salad instead). Drank only lemon and ginger tea.

D: cheeses, cucumber, 2 cc chocolate pots, one with cream

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all

Today:

B: Two poached eggs topped with a knob of butter and avocado, seasoned with black pepper plus a wedge of Époisses.
Water to swallow tablet.
Double espresso.

L: Packed lunch made with leftover walnut and mushroom roast.
Celery sticks and baby plum tomatoes with lettuce cups for scooping and a dollop of home-made mayonnaise for dipping.
Prawns and brown shrimps.
Almonds, hazelnuts. and brazils.
Water to drink.

D: Smoked salmon and cream cheese salad made with rocket, celery, baby plum tomatoes, salad onions, Nocellara olives and Romano peppers, dressed with olive oil, lemon verbena and a touch of lemon juice, topped with pecan halves.
Water to wash down tablets.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a carb killa bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and an Aldi protein bar.
Dinner: a small piece of left over frittata from last night, a couple of slices of Brie, side salad and coleslaw.

2024-05-03 19.18.32.jpeg

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
it was frozen, but it did say wild on the pack. It was this:
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/302706337
Anyone living within reach of an Iceland can buy 3 x 330g packs of frozen wild pink salmon for £10, which undercuts Tesco, and even more so if you profit from Iceland's offer of 5% off with their Bonus card, plus an extra 10% off if you are over 60 and shop on a Tuesday! (NB I am not linked to Iceland in any way.) There are similar deals on haddock, cod, smoked haddock, rainbow trout.

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Anyone living within reach of an Iceland can buy 3 x 330g packs of frozen wild pink salmon for £10, which undercuts Tesco, and even more so if you profit from Iceland's offer of 5% off with their Bonus card, plus an extra 10% off if you are over 60 and shop on a Tuesday! (NB I am not linked to Iceland in any way.) There are similar deals on haddock, cod, smoked haddock, rainbow trout.
Thanks for the tip @Alexandra100. Well worth knowing.

IanBish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Apparently, they are closely related @IanBish; the same genus, but two different species; Oncorhynchus nerka, vernacular name Red Salmon and O. gorbuscha otherwise known as Pink Salmon.
I see. I much prefer red salmon. I bought a tin of wild red salmon today, which I'll probably have tomorrow. Thanks @LivingLightly for the info.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd love a recipe /instructions. I'm wanting to ferment my own but lack confidence.

It’s been a bit of trial and error but basically chop/slice/grate raw veg and pack tightly into clean jars and cover with 2%brine solution (20g sea salt or rock salt to each 1litre water). I always add a chopped garlic clove and fresh ginger because I like the flavour. You can experiment with other spices too: peppercorns, fennel seeds etc.
Don’t fill to top of jar. Leave at room temp for a few days ‘burping’ daily to release gas. Some people use glass weights to keep the veg from floating to the surface, a folded cabbage leaf tucked into the top works well though.
Once it’s fermented to your desired strength keep it in the fridge for ages.
My favourite so far has been red cabbage ( with garlic and ginger) I always try to have a jar of this in my fridge. It seems to liven up any meal.
Good luck!

Edit to thank @Annb for the link to the ferment thread. I’d forgotten about that.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B- Chaffles topped with poached egg. I was reading an article yesterday about how the vitamin D level in egg yolk is affected by cooking methods. Poached and scrambled are best to retain it, fried and hard boiled come off worst.
L- tuna salad in l/c roll. I’d totally forgotten I’d set up a subscription to SRSLY which arrived today - so much bread, and I’ve not long received an order from the low carb food co. My freezer is full.
D- Delia’s https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes...rench/braised-steak-au-poivre-in-red-wine?amp I used to make this a lot and it’s quite low carb but I did replace some onion with mushrooms and reduce the flour to 1 tsp. It’s still very good. Glass of red wine and a DGF cookie.
IMG_1714771233.493701.jpg

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Third and last day of leeky, cheesy, creamy goodness with shawarma. I could have stretched it for another day but didn't dare to because I forgot to put it in the fridge on the first night. So I plated it all before putting it in the microwave and had two very happy dogs finishing my plate, they like their food warm as well. :)

Last night was interrupted by multiple hypos so I woke up to have winegums and crisps. Which I like, but not enough to like being woken up for it.
Tomorrow will be a simple barbecue with my neighbour. :)

1714773707554.png

RosemaryJackson

Morning all. Yesterday I had the sausages with eggs and a few beans, fried the mashed potatoes and ate that with the salmon but I didn't fancy the peppers so they are in the fridge. Might eat them today with the chicken drumsticks. It's goig tombe a 'picky' day I think. Have a lovely weekend everyone. Hope the weather stays good. :happy:

filly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
Coffee and cream x 2
Coffee and unsweetened almond milk
Chicken breast salad 2 Babybel
Corned beef and tomatoes
Smoked salmon (different brand never had sugar in and now does). Won't be buying that again.

Last edited: