What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.7 this morning.
Mr K has just bought a Ninja multicooker which does a lot more than our current multicooker which we are passing on to youngest daughter.

He has just made a loaf of bread which is cooking at the moment. You even prove the bread in the Ninja. It looks like the oven and the air fryer will be virtually redundant. The Ninja can even work as a dehydrator. Mr K does love gadgets.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all from another grey day here in L.A. where the forecast 14C and sunny intervals, so bright and clear not wet and cold, for Candlemass doesn't bode well. @gennepher thank you for sharing the splendid creative the making of which hopefully helped after the frustration of #sensorgate. My knowledge and interest in cars just about extends to knowing the make and colour of ours (not sure of the reg of one of them) but would folding the rear seats flat do any good? @dunelm thank you for sharing the art again. @Krystyna23040 Mr K's new Ninja sounds wonderful as does your fbg. @JohnEGreen best wishes for the trip and CT scan. Farmers and sympathy? - hmm. Not a homogeneous demographic but I'm less sympathetic to the bulk of East Anglian ones who always back Conservative or Brexit/Reform, by and large send their children to public school, have a fleet of large vehicles and centuries long track record of low pay, historically bribing judges and MPs and zero to minimal health and safety concerns. Not to mention the Corn Laws, enclosures, rank produce passed off as premium and an "interesting" attitude to paying bills versus collecting theirs with interest. Who knew selling land for housing then blocking affordable housing would hollow out communities and lead to whinging that their grandchildren can't buy a house locally? I agree Artisanal ones are struggling but having supported Thatcher, Brexit, Boris and Truss I'm not sympathetic.The Welsh ones in the extended family are a different matter. As for Mr Foreman, he clearly missed a trick.(Crace was good on him yesterday) Now breathe Ian and enjoy more tea. the price of which almost certainly hasn't gone down, just been promoted and/or risen more slowly.

Last edited:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Fbg this morning 5.4

This morning just realised the cat scan this afternoon is with contrast and I have impaired kidney function called them up and they have cancelled it until I have a new eGfr blood test done they for some reason had not realised I have CKD wonderful.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Phone call from the Health Centre to tell me my infection hasn't cleared up so they are issuing a prescription for more antibiotics to be taken over a week this time, instead of the 3 days of the last lot. Just added a multivitamin and mineral tablet to the arsenal of pills - not that I am aware of any shortage of nutrients, but maybe it will help with the tiredness. Horrible yeasty taste and smell though. Odd because I am one of those people who actually like Marmite so yeast shouldn't bother me, but it does.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Fbg 6.5

Wildlife nighttime video.
Foxes & Badgers & Cats - Foxy Loxy jumps on the swing
1min 15sec

Creative...Black fountain pen and spray water and water brush...

Yesterday I went out to do some stuff/shopping etc. The weather was foul. But it was so dark. The car's systems and Sat Nav turned to Night Mode (I hate that black night mode on maps, I cannot read the black map, my last car's Sat nav stayed in the daytime mode but greyed a bit at night) and there are no settings to override it. I wasn't just dark, it was a weird, yellow dark, which made everything look the same, whether it was cars/roads/buildings, and there was very little traffic on the road, which was most unusual. And it was teeming with rain.

I had just put some shopping in the car well at the back, I never put shopping on the backseat now because the alarms start blaring and red lights flashing, that I haven't strapped my passengers in. And there is no way of overriding that on the car settings. And then I put my walker on the backseat flat, because if I put it on its side on the backseat, the alarms start blaring and flashing again, telling me I have to strap the passengers in. I can hear you saying why doesn't she put the seat belts into their little holders, then that won't happen. Why I do not do that it's because when I am getting/pushing my walker on to the car seat with three seatbelts strapping in nothing on the backseat, the wheels/other sticking out bits on the walker gets tangled into the seatbelts and I can't push it in properly and spend ages trying to get in, and I am exhausted. And my walker cannot go into the boot (and neither can my shopping bags) because I already have my mobility scooter in there.

I pulled into the traffic, and suddenly the car is screaming and blaring alarms at me, various yellow and black lights were flashing, and the worst was red lights on the whole dashboard flashing at me. My brain froze, I thought the car was going to explode. I couldn't drive even to a safe point to find out what was going on, so I pulled over on to some chevrons. I knew the yellow and black flashing circles were most probably the car complaining I hadn't strapped my passenger (my walker) in. It was just the middle seat belt that was complaining it wasn't strapping anything in. I didn't know what the additional blaring siren and the flashing red lights on the dashboard was. I couldn't even see what was on my dashboard with those flashing red lights. To me, that level of alert meant get the heck out of the car and run as fast as you can away from it....

I turned the engine off, rearranged the walker on the back seat so it couldn't be resting on any sensor on the backseat. I am now absolutely soaking wet in this teaming rain....

I turn the engine on, silence, no alarms. I get back in the traffic...the blaring siren starts again and the red flashing lights across the dashboard. I don't believe this...I drive slowly to the retail park round the corner, park the car and go in Poundland to get away from the car. Then I am surprised how poorly stocked Poundland is. Buy myself an iced coffee. Drink that. Go back to the car, open then shut all doors and the boot. I cannot think of anything else to try. Get in the car, put my handbag on the front seat, and start the engine. Silence.

Start to drive slowly, still silence from the car, turn into the main road, then the front passenger seat is sending me alarms saying I haven't strapped my handbag in with the seatbelt.

A string of expletives from me. Handbag gets unceremoniously swiped to the floor. End of all the car alarms blaring at me.

But then I am in a 20mph zone, which was clearly marked by a road sign as I entered it, and I can hear a horn blaring at me and flashing lights from a white van man behind me who is annoyed I am keeping to exactly 20mph. He wants me to go faster but can't pass me because of the oncoming traffic.

Normally I would turn off to get rid of those idiots and come home through the housing estate. Not yesterday. I stayed on the main road doing exactly 20mph as is the law, and he was behind me for nearly a mile before I turned off to get home. By the time I got to my turning he had backed away from my tail and had stopped flashing and blaring his horn at me.

I would like to point out that (maybe in van driver's defence) that the Sat nav's have still NOT been updated (in my area of Wales) to the speed of 20 mph. And the Sat Nav speed limit still tells you that this is all a 30mph where I live. But it is all 20mph. And there are signs telling you it is 20mph, but the Sat nav still tells you it is a 30mph.

I got home, threw stuff in the fridge, and went to bed and to sleep for the rest of Monday. I'd had enough of Monday.

Today is research online how I can figure out to sort these berserk car alarms. And see what I can override. I have never hated a car so much...it even sings to me as I get in it with this trilling tune....

Time for a strong black coffee...

Have your best kind of day...

View attachment 65877
What a day you had Gennepher. All those lights and alarms sound frightful. I think I would be worried that they made me miss an important one. Good idea just to switch off your own sound, but that doesn't stop the flashing lights. How do other drivers think they are making things better by sounding their horn when someone isn't going as fast as they want to? It's just 21st century bad manners, I suppose. Upsetting though. No wonder you were exhausted by the time you got home.

Love the creative, by the way.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning all from another grey day here in L.A. where the forecast 14C and sunny intervals, so bright and clear not wet and cold, for Candlemass doesn't bode well. @gennepher thank you for sharing the splendid creative the making of which hopefully helped after the frustration of #sensorgate. My knowledge and interest in cars just about extends to knowing the make and colour of ours (not sure of the reg of one of them) but would folding the rear seats flat do any good? @dunelm thank you for sharing the art again. @Krystyna23040 Mr K's new Ninja sounds wonderful as does your fbg. @JohnEGreen best wishes for the trip and CT scan. Farmers and sympathy? - hmm. Not a homogeneous demographic but I'm less sympathetic to the bulk of East Anglian ones who always back Conservative or Brexit/Reform, by and large send their children to public school, have a fleet of large vehicles and centuries long track record of low pay, historically bribing judges and MPs and zero to minimal health and safety concerns. Not to mention the Corn Laws, enclosures, rank produce passed off as premium and an "interesting" attitude to paying bills versus collecting theirs with interest. Who knew selling land for housing then blocking affordable housing would hollow out communities and lead to whinging that their grandchildren can't buy a house locally? I agree Artisanal ones are struggling but having supported Thatcher, Brexit, Boris and Truss I'm not sympathetic.The Welsh ones in the extended family are a different matter. As for Mr Foreman, he clearly missed a trick.(Crace was good on him yesterday) Now breathe Ian and enjoy more tea. the price of which almost certainly hasn't gone down, just been promoted and/or risen more slowly.
Thanks for the painting compliment Ian

Folding the rear seats?
Unfortunately I don't think that will be an option because then that exposes the fact that I have a mobility scooter in the boot, and it is only insured in my boot if it cannot be seen.

However, thinking about it, I don't know how much folding the rear seats down actually hides what's in the boot. I'll have a look next time I get in the car.

I have just spent an hour and a half in that car with engine running while I've been going through all the settings and more or less come to the conclusion that the manufacturers of my car have decreed that all safety settings cannot be turned off, at least not permanently. Some can be turned off at the beginning of a journey but if you stop and go to a shop and then get back in the car, you've got to reset those settings individually all over again and there was no way I would be doing that.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg this morning 5.4

This morning just realised the cat scan this afternoon is with contrast and I have impaired kidney function called them up and they have cancelled it until I have a new eGfr blood test done they for some reason had not realised I have CKD wonderful.
An extra hug for that messing about of you. You do need to be on the alert that they are doing things properly...

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What a day you had Gennepher. All those lights and alarms sound frightful. I think I would be worried that they made me miss an important one. Good idea just to switch off your own sound, but that doesn't stop the flashing lights. How do other drivers think they are making things better by sounding their horn when someone isn't going as fast as they want to? It's just 21st century bad manners, I suppose. Upsetting though. No wonder you were exhausted by the time you got home.

Love the creative, by the way.

Thank you for the painting compliment @Annb

There is absolutely no point in. having alarms to that degree, because as you said you could miss the important one. A simple display which is what my last car had, a simple diagrammatic display and if you'd left the door open or the brake on, an icon would come on and that was absolutely sufficient.

I have come across a lot of people online this morning who say they just tune out all these alarms and flashing lights in their cars from their consciousness, and take not one scrap of notice of them.

I wish I could tune it out of my consciousness like hearing people can, but I have a cochlear implant, and my hearing is controlled and adjusted by the scan function of the hearing processor - and especially with alarms, often not in a way I would like, and accentuates the noise of these alarms to an unacceptable level...

However, I can always take the hearing processor off and go back to driving with no ears, like I did in the 50 years with no problems, before I had the implant...I am seriously considering that one. ..

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for the painting compliment @Annb

There is absolutely no point in. having alarms to that degree, because as you said you could miss the important one. A simple display which is what my last car had, a simple diagrammatic display and if you'd left the door open or the brake on, an icon would come on and that was absolutely sufficient.

I have come across a lot of people online this morning who say they just tune out all these alarms and flashing lights in their cars from their consciousness, and take not one scrap of notice of them.

I wish I could tune it out of my consciousness like hearing people can, but I have a cochlear implant, and my hearing is controlled and adjusted by the scan function of the hearing processor - and especially with alarms, often not in a way I would like, and accentuates the noise of these alarms to an unacceptable level...

However, I can always take the hearing processor off and go back to driving with no ears, like I did in the 50 years with no problems, before I had the implant...I am seriously considering that one. ..
Is it easy enough to take the cochlear implant off and put it back when you need it?

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is it easy enough to take the cochlear implant off and put it back when you need it?
Yes @Annb, it is easy enough to take the sound processor off...except that I need to reset all the settings for sensitivity, volume, etc etc because some settings reset to default each time I take it off. The remote is an app on my iPad mini, which I do not take out of the house, but if needs must. The remote for the sound processor doesn't work on my mobile phone....

I will need a bigger handbag...

I have even managed to put my mph/current speed on to the Sat nav screen, so I do not need to look at that car dashboard at all...

My first trip doing this will be tomorrow.
My friend has just cancelled our meeting for tomorrow, so it will be my Plan B now for my little outing....

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
6.5 on the FBG scale this Tuesday before Christmas.
A nice but getting cooler day could be a frosty overnight through dreamlike nether world.
Hock for tea.
Roast cluck for Mrs L.

Surgery being pedantic over appointment with relevant practitioner.
Hopefully will resolve.

I'm so tired and frustrated with being in limbo.

Not had time to reply to posts, may get time later.

Best wishes to you all as always.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
6.5 on the FBG scale this Tuesday before Christmas.
A nice but getting cooler day could be a frosty overnight through dreamlike nether world.
Hock for tea.
Roast cluck for Mrs L.

Surgery being pedantic over appointment with relevant practitioner.
Hopefully will resolve.

I'm so tired and frustrated with being in limbo.

Not had time to reply to posts, may get time later.

Best wishes to you all as always.
I went with a hug, but don't think your gallows humour at Xmas went unnoticed.

I love how you just roll with punches that might floor others .

Without meaning offence, (me and you likely aren't far apart in age & attitude)
I'd respectfully say, your attitude reminds me of my dad.

You both have that " it's ok, it's ok ".
When it clearly isn't, but given the circumstances, what all else could he and you do, if you didn't want to curl up in a ball yourselves.

God know he had moments I'd have seriously struggled with, yet he just brushed it off, like it's normal.

It wasn't for him, and it isn't for you .

But my god, I have so much respect for how you both manned up & just cope as best you can, for the one you love.

What more could any wife or husband, want in a partner .

Your an example to us all @Lamont D .

God bless you.

lindisfel

Expert
Didn't get on zoom this am, initially found s.i.l in checking my stuff had removed my link I have on my screen to sign in at zoom.
You need to consider your questions to get on.

So I tried on my tablet and assumed it was today.
But there was nobody there. I emailed the guy in charge who said he email the changes.
Not to me he hadn't, so I had an invalid link,
I may go again but it will be a decision at the last minute using a tablet.

I can quickly abort without a lot of time wasted.
D.

Last edited:

lindisfel

Expert
They may have the same issue as Dwarfs, they all look the same to us - I have it that you can only tell a dwarfs gender by the style of their armour. Or, maybe the first Ent couldn’t part with a rib despite all life starting out as female.
Oh dear that kind reasoning could be rooted out by the thought police at the pass of a piece paper with a name on.;)

Last edited:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I went with a hug, but don't think your gallows humour at Xmas went unnoticed.

I love how you just roll with punches that might floor others .

Without meaning offence, (me and you likely aren't far apart in age & attitude)
I'd respectfully say, your attitude reminds me of my dad.

You both have that " it's ok, it's ok ".
When it clearly isn't, but given the circumstances, what all else could he and you do, if you didn't want to curl up in a ball yourselves.

God know he had moments I'd have seriously struggled with, yet he just brushed it off, like it's normal.

It wasn't for him, and it isn't for you .

But my god, I have so much respect for how you both manned up & just cope as best you can, for the one you love.

What more could any wife or husband, want in a partner .

Your an example to us all @Lamont D .

God bless you.
I went with friend because (a) hug just ain't enough for your understanding.
you are intentionally making me well up. But I have to believe it is doing me good.

I have realised that part of my coping tools, is using humour, and misdirection, and having an out!
But the real reason is the pain.
It is o.k. Cos, it's ok to be the one that does it. And you cannot do other than help.
There is no one else that really knows your partner, and the reverse, Mrs L doesn't want anyone else to do what I do!

I have managed to get the new star trek dvd. And it's so enjoyable.

Have put my big dugout coat on, and sat in the cold, while Mrs L is watching a film. Cos there is a cloudless sky. The stars are brilliant tonight. So clear and great for soul searching.
I
Thanks again @jjraak

lindisfel

Expert
I went with friend because (a) hug just ain't enough for your understanding.
you are intentionally making me well up. But I have to believe it is doing me good.

I have realised that part of my coping tools, is using humour, and misdirection, and having an out!
But the real reason is the pain.
It is o.k. Cos, it's ok to be the one that does it. And you cannot do other than help.
There is no one else that really knows your partner, and the reverse, Mrs L doesn't want anyone else to do what I do!

I have managed to get the new star trek dvd. And it's so enjoyable.

Have put my big dugout coat on, and sat in the cold, while Mrs L is watching a film. Cos there is a cloudless sky. The stars are brilliant tonight. So clear and great for soul searching.
I
Thanks again @jjraak
Your going through so much I never realised you were carrying such a personal cross when I was on the R.H. Forum.
That's a real privelege for us here, we all care about each other and we have empathy for our friends who are on the same journey, so remember Lamont, you are not alone!
D.