What's your target range?

SugarDaddy91

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Wasps. Terrified of wasps. And retinopathy.
Hey, everyone. I've heard so many different opinions on the matter and would like to ask you all what you go for.
My nurse says I should aim for under 10 post-meal and under 7 on the pre. And the same goes for the morning. I am quite inexperienced still, so when I got an 8.0 post meal I was quite shocked and distressed, as I would like to be under 7.8 which is in the "normal" range. I am also a bit confused as I am actually a bit lost when it comes to finding research on the subject. What I wanted to find out was if there was a target value that had a better prognosis than another target value. I've decided I want to try my best to stay in the normal range, but as I am currently reducing the insulin I am going to be a bit anxious whenever I measure my glucose. Not sure how to tell if I have been overdosed on insulin, staying in the 5-s even post-meal or if I am currently underdosed, fluctuating up in the 7s post-meal.
Hope this all makes sense!

Reactions: kokhongw

SugarDaddy91

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thank you! Yes, I've been keeping to those numbers, but somehow I feel like it is more common to attempt to stay in the "normal" range. Has this been proven more effective?

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've initially used those figures as a base target, and when I've been able to maintain them I've gradually moved my goal posts. Currently my targets are to stay between low fives and a max of seven at all times. Which I can now generally maintain unless external influences - e.g. stress, illness, various meds - interfere.

Robbity

Reactions: ringi

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My personal target is between 4 and 7 (7 being 2 hours after a meal) However, if I am 7 after a meal I know I will have been higher before the 2 hours. I am also human so do not always hit this higher target level.

I aim for levels up to 5.5 before meals and virtually always hit this target.

I aim for a rise after eating of less than 1.5mmol/l preferably less.

Please be careful of comparing yourself with others. We are all at different stages of this disease, some with a better pancreas than others and different levels of insulin resistance, we all have different medications and levels of exercise. Set your own targets and when you hit them regularly, change them to suit your own lifestyle.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey, everyone. I've heard so many different opinions on the matter and would like to ask you all what you go for.
My nurse says I should aim for under 10 post-meal and under 7 on the pre. And the same goes for the morning. I am quite inexperienced still, so when I got an 8.0 post meal I was quite shocked and distressed, as I would like to be under 7.8 which is in the "normal" range. I am also a bit confused as I am actually a bit lost when it comes to finding research on the subject. What I wanted to find out was if there was a target value that had a better prognosis than another target value. I've decided I want to try my best to stay in the normal range, but as I am currently reducing the insulin I am going to be a bit anxious whenever I measure my glucose. Not sure how to tell if I have been overdosed on insulin, staying in the 5-s even post-meal or if I am currently underdosed, fluctuating up in the 7s post-meal.
Hope this all makes sense!

SugarDaddy - How long have you been diagnosed, and did you go onto insulin immediately?

If, at diagnosis, your levels were very high, your team may want you to reduce your levels in a steady manner, rather than any immediate drops.

Whilst you are trying to bring your levels down, are you being monitored to ensure your insulin dosages continue to match your reducing blood scores?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So why are diabetic target levels both for Type 1 and Type 2 set higher than non diabetic expected levels? Surely our bodies are designed to live at non-diabetic levels. Why aren't the diabetic targets set at non-diabetic levels?

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
T1s I think they like you to shoot high because hypers are less dangerous than hypos.

T2s I think they are grateful if you get anywhere near normal figures.

Reactions: Rachox

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
T1s I think they like you to shoot high because hypers are less dangerous than hypos.

T2s I think they are grateful if you get anywhere near normal figures.

Although type 2's on insulin need to watch hypos as well.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for your replies @LittleGreyCat and @douglas99, I understand now with the risk of hypos for Type 1s. I'm quite new to this, only 7 weeks since Type 2 diagnosis. I'm just on Metformin, so it won't do me any harm to aim for non diabetic levels?

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thank you for your replies @LittleGreyCat and @douglas99, I understand now with the risk of hypos for Type 1s. I'm quite new to this, only 7 weeks since Type 2 diagnosis. I'm just on Metformin, so it won't do me any harm to aim for non diabetic levels?

A steady decrease is usually better than an abrupt fall, to give your body time to adjust.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A steady decrease is usually better than an abrupt fall, to give your body time to adjust.
Thanks, yes, that's what I've been doing. Gradually lowering my carbs. I've reached Type 2 targets but wondered if it would harm me if I went to non-diabetic levels. Only if I dropped too quickly then. Sorry @SugarDaddy91 for hijacking your post :shy:

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My target range with diet control... 3.9-7.5 mmol

upload_2017-6-28_11-55-6.png

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
wondered if it would harm me if I went to non-diabetic levels

I can't find the link now...but have previously read that sharp drops in HbA1c increases the risk of retinopathy. So a gradual stepwise improvement is safer...after all the real measure of successful glucose control is how long we can maintain it...not have fast we achieve it.

Much like divers stopping at safe levels to decompressurize...etc

SugarDaddy91

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thank you for all the educative replies! Seems I have type two judging by conversation with my nurse yesterday! I was just a bit worried that she would have another accepted range than me when it came to putting me on metformin! Starting it tomorrow and have greatly reduced my insulin dosage without any impact on my BGs. I knew lchf would reduce my BGs, but I must say I did not expect that ot would drop so much. I've reduced 10 total units from my daily dose and it's holding at 5s in mornings and <7 for the rest of the day. I've gotten a bit carried away with the bg control and wanted to get between 4-6 straight away. It was noticeably during my first two weeks, as I felt sick and had brain-fog, clouded vision and would tire really fast.

My nurse lets me have a great deal of freedom, and since I've gotten into a very nice range, I hope she will agree with me that it's better I stay within this range for the time being.
Thank you again for all your replies!

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It has been shown in research that "close control of BG" for someone with Type2 is of no benefit when done with insulin or drugs that results in more insulin being made my our bodies. (If I recall correctly this was based on people using insulin to keep BG always under about 10.)

Hence @SugarDaddy91 forget about keeping your BG very low, and work in improving your eating (low carb) and exercise so you can stop taking insulin, and once you off all drugs apart from metformin start aiming for the low BG levels. Remember that your insulin will make it very hard to lose weight so sooner you get off it the better.

Last edited:
Reactions: grante

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Everyone (including me) with recent T2 is likely to have lots of fat round their liver and pancreas, it is of great benefit to burn off this fat, as doing so reduces the risk of having T2 long term. Our bodies will not make use of fat if our insulin level is high; you can’t reduce how much insulin your body makes unless you reduce your BG level to normal or below normal. (And stop taking insulin or drugs that increase insulin.)

This can be done by fasting and/or very low curb and/or intermittent fasting or just being on low carb (say under 40g) for a long time.

Personally I am aiming for a BG of 5 or under most of the time, while taking no meds other then metformin, but will not start fasting or very low curb until my body gots used to the lower BG levels from just avoiding all added sugar, ready meals, grains and potatoes. (If I had a doctor that believed in fasting and low carb etc, I would be willing to be a lot more aggressive in the short term.)