Worst review with DSN

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Why so few test strips? If you're on insulin then you need more. Could it be a typo or a mistake?

If not, try asking your GP for more, and explain you can't control your blood sugar properly without them.

I will try asking my GP for some more test strips tomorrow as I've ran out of test strips since Friday.

But even just testing before meals works out at more than 20 strips per month - that's what I dont understand.

As for your diet, why not ask about trying a set amount of carbs per meal, staying at a lowish daily total? That would mean you kept the carbs low, and a regular set amount of carbs might help your control too.

To be honest with you and everyone on here, I've hardly took any of my prescribed medication for the past few weeks. Daily I should be taking 10 Novorapid units before each meal, 40 Tresiba units in the evening, Victoza 1.2mg in the morning, Metformin 1000mg twice a day and 20mg of Tostran Gel.

It's about time that I should do something to improve my health as I have not been taking it seriously for several months.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good. I was wondering if perhaps this could be the case. Now you can start to work at improving your health. The hardest bit is admitting that you haven't been taking it seriously. That's step one done.

I won't give you much advice on the next step because I know nothing about being on insulin, except that keeping your diet constant can only help to keep your BGs consistent too. I feel you need to find the level of carbs you will be comfortable with for life (not too high as you will put on weight, not too low as it will be unsustainable for you) Of course this means carb counting. My fitness pal can help with this if you haven't done the DESMOND or DAFNE course yet (sorry I can't remember) but you do need to log absolutely everything.

I have said this before (a few times) and I still feel you would benefit from more counselling. There is a reason you haven't bothered to take your medication properly for a few months, counselling could help you find out why and then work to change habits. I had counselling a couple of years ago and it has helped me in so many ways. I am still finding out things about myself that I never knew before (more stuff just this past week). Please ask your GP if there is anything available on the NHS. I was given 8 sessions (though I had to give a 'donation' for them) and I was lucky to be able to afford to pay for another 20 sessions myself. I realise you may not be able to do this, but even just 8 sessions would help.

Time to really look after yourself now, you're worth it @akindrat18 , but time is running out, things can only get worse if you delay taking control of your diabetes any longer. Stick with the forum there's lots of people who care for you here.

Edit: You need to be honest with your HCPs too. It was when I told my nurse that I hadn't had the will to take my blood thinners that she called the doctor in who immediately started listening and treating me for depression. Your HCPs and your friends here on the forum can only advise you. You really do need to start taking your health into your own hands. It isn't your HCPs who have diabetes, it's you - and it's only you who can change things. Time to take on the responsibility yourself.

Best wishes as always
x

Last edited:
Reactions: azure

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Ok. So you need to tell the medics you have not taken the insulin, and say you need the strips.
You need to be honest to get the best help. Numbers will stay high if you keep eating with your family and not injecting.
You are so young you have so much ahead of you, please get this sorted and live your life.

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Why so few test strips? If you're on insulin then you need more. Could it be a typo or a mistake?

If not, try asking your GP for more, and explain you can't control your blood sugar properly without them.

I found out today that I get prescribed 50 test strips from the receptionist at my GP, but to get more I have to see the doctor and ring up in the morning to get an appointment. I have yet to get an appointment with the doctor as he is always booked up when I get through on the phone and have to call back same time in the morning to get an appointment. Hopefully I should get an appointment tomorrow as I've been without test strips since Monday.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I found out today that I get prescribed 50 test strips from the receptionist at my GP, but to get more I have to see the doctor and ring up in the morning to get an appointment. I have yet to get an appointment with the doctor as he is always booked up when I get through on the phone and have to call back same time in the morning to get an appointment. Hopefully I should get an appointment tomorrow as I've been without test strips since Monday.

Can you just ask for a telephone appointment with a doctor? For repeat prescriptions it can't be essential to actually see one every month, surely. It is dangerous for an insulin user not to have strips.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Dafne isnt necessarily for T1's!!
Its for anybody that needs to learn "dose adjystment for eating (and living)!!

I would write a letter to nurse and explain that and ask to be referred to the dafne course....

That makes me mad!!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Why? Youre on insulin so you need to test multiple times a day. I'd ask to speak to a doctor on the phone. You can't run out of strips. It could be dangerous not being able to test.

Reactions: Freema

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Can you just ask for a telephone appointment with a doctor? For repeat prescriptions it can't be essential to actually see one every month, surely. It is dangerous for an insulin user not to have strips.

My doctor's do phone consultations if I don't need an appointment, but they have to call me back when they are free and the last time I was on the phone with the doctor it took 2 days for the doctor to get back to me.

S

serenity648

My doctor's do phone consultations if I don't need an appointment, but they have to call me back when they are free and the last time I was on the phone with the doctor it took 2 days for the doctor to get back to me.
do you drive?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
do you drive?

If he does, he can't at the moment as he can't test. ;)

@akindrat18 I can spot a bit of negativity in your responses. There is nothing any of us can do to get you extra strips, and clearly 50 a month is completely insufficient. You must press home your need for strips with your doctor or nurse. You are in danger if you don't. We can't do this for you I'm afraid. I'm sorry to be blunt, but only you can do this. Your only other alternative is to buy a meter that has cheap strips and self fund. (The Codefree and the Tee2 are the popular ones with cheap strips, and the Tee2 meter is free)

Try here for the Codefree meter
http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

and here for the extra strips
http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

Pharmacies don't sell them. There are discount codes if you buy in bulk and don’t forget to check the box that you have diabetes so you can buy VAT free.
5 packs 264086
10 packs 975833

The Tee2 is here
http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/

Last edited:

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Ask to speak to a nurse then. Maybe they can sort strips for you.

You need to push a little to get what you need. It's your health that could suffer not theirs.

Can I ask why you stopped taking your insulin?

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
When I was ill with a serious dka it took me two days to sort myself out and I was near to being stuck in hospital for a while before I was able to come home lucky enough I was in for a couple of days and that was because I went over the top of everyone in the doctor's to get an appointment and to increase my meds and strips and then I still ended up in hospital for not using my insulin and I am type 2 and I could have easily ended up being the end of life I was told it was that bad and I was like you couldn't care less about my diabetes but that shook the hell out of me and now I have done as I was told and I follow up on all appointments and demand to see people except I know that they are busy with other patients and I have to wait until my turn but I get seen and if I don't feel well I'm down the doctors the same day or I call 111 and get an emergency prescription for what I need and I get it no matter what it is

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
What is worrying is that @akindrat18 's doctor's receptionist is controlling prescriptions.

Not being able to test while using insulin is ridiculous and dangerous. When I was injecting insulin I was prescribed 200 strips a month - which both the DN and I consider the minimum. @akindrat18 I understand that you don't want to be a 'difficult ' patient but it is now very urgent that you are firmer with the doctor's receptionist, your DN or GP as you will never get your BG under control unless you can regularly test.

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Chook is right and I am the same with the one's at mine and I don't care about the one who gives you a cry story just tell them or you will end up being in hospital and it will be the doctors receptionists fault and you will be there to say told you so when they were wrong with it all as mine were and still try to do it

S

serenity648

If he does, he can't at the moment as he can't test. ;)

/

That was the point of my question. If he drives, he can use that as an additional reason for needing more test strips.

and he may not be in a financial position to self fund - not everyone can self fund.

As for your perceiving negativity, some are less able to speak up for themselves than others. And it is possible, if you make too much fuss, to be struck off the surgery list and without a GP until you can find one to take you. And having a GP is not a right in this country (UK) so there are people who have no primary care surgery here.
http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/2556.aspx?CategoryID=68&SubCategoryID=158

Last edited by a moderator:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Under normal circumstances striking off from GPs is normally only if patients are abusive verbally or mentally.
At my last practice somebody missed 7 appts in one day!! (Begs belief how they managed to get 7 appts booked-thats another question..)! The Practice Manager could not technically strike them off... he could warn them.. but in the end from speaking to the partner it was realised this person had mental difficulties and a solution was found.

Complaints do not get you struck off either.. I had reason to complain and indeed the Practice took it very seriously.

It all depends on whether statements are made in anger... and come overbas anger. I had a psycoanalyst explain to me that if I said things in an angry tone or facial expression it makes the other people take flight..and less likely to help me. We were talking about medical people.... if I put something overbas my being scared and with fear (which was my actual concern) then it draws people to help you more..

If someone states its there right to have strips to drive its lodging a tone that could be construed by medics as anger... if someone says "I drive, I realise that it is the law to test prior to driving and I fear losing my licence by not having strips" then it makes the tone more conducive to someone wanting to enable you to carry on driving.
Not in all cases etc but our expressions in requests or demands can make a difference to whether medics are drawn to help or are less responsive.

Regarding receptionists. No patient is duty bound to have to tell a receptionist what a problem is... the purpose of asking is meant to help the practice to get you to see the right person. Ie many practices now have nurses that can prescribe etc and it may not be necessary to see a doctor. Or say if you want to see a physio or mental issue some practices do self referrals now. So tgat is the only grounds for a receptionist to ask what is wrong. If they are stating how many strips etc - then this is wrong and needs to be addressed as they are not medically qualified and aware of NICE guidelines etc. This could be put in a letter to the Practice Manager...

Reactions: Struma

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What is worrying is that @akindrat18 's doctor's receptionist is controlling prescriptions.

Not being able to test while using insulin is ridiculous and dangerous. When I was injecting insulin I was prescribed 200 strips a month - which both the DN and I consider the minimum. @akindrat18 I understand that you don't want to be a 'difficult ' patient but it is now very urgent that you are firmer with the doctor's receptionist, your DN or GP as you will never get your BG under control unless you can regularly test.

Could be - or it could be that @akindrat18 was told by the receptionist. I found that sentence ambiguous. I doubt a receptionist decides strip amounts though.

@akindrat18 Why not ask to speak to your DSN and get them to email your surgery saying you need more strips?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Incidentally, I would also question why it is a GP only that can increase qty of strips. Most DSN's at Practices can organise more.

Reactions: Grumpy ole thing

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been to see my doctor this morning and I could only get 100 test strips from him. My blood pressure is fine and I'm due for a blood test, which I'm having done next week.

I told my doctor that I need more test strips and he said that 100 is sufficient for a month. I tried to get another 50, but he said that I should only be testing 3 or 4 times a day.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been to see my doctor this morning and I could only get 100 test strips from him. My blood pressure is fine and I'm due for a blood test, which I'm having done next week.

I told my doctor that I need more test strips and he said that 100 is sufficient for a month. I tried to get another 50, but he said that I should only be testing 3 or 4 times a day.

Well done for getting that appointment. :)
You tried, and at least he has increased it to 100 from 50, which is better than no increase.
Are you taking your insulin now?

Reactions: Freema and azure