Worst review with DSN

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Had a slip up this evening with eating my mum's homemade shepherd's pie and two cheese scones.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I still don't think you fully understand your situation. You have shown over the past 5 (?) years that low carbing isn't sustainable for you. You have tried very many times and for whatever reason can't stick to it. You don't need to low carb if it's not for you, you do need to have a consistent carb intake, with a consistent insulin intake too. To do this you need to carb count properly. It's no good just guessing. Personally I don't see what's wrong with shepherd's pie as long as you have carb counted (by weighing the meat and potato separately), and cheese afterwards instead of cheese scones would have been really good.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
16.4 at 9:30pm and then 10.1 at 4am this morning.

As @zand says, you need to carb count. You're on fixed doses so you need to only eat the carbs those doses will cover.

Do that and your control will improve and you'll reduce your risk of complications.

Do you have support for your eating issues? If not, that might help you.

You're young - don't let the diabetes steal your hopes for the future. Take control. X

Reactions: Diakat and zand

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
My sister's friend is not so sensible he had a giant chocolate eclair all to himself and then took another cake away with him when he left. Yes I could have done without the potatoes, stuffing and Yorkshire's. But then it wouldn't have been a proper carvery.

Yes I've got my test strips.

I would estimate about 30 or 40 grams. No I didn't adjust my Novorapid, I just took my set 10 units and I don't know how many grams of carbs my doses cover.

My tea for tonight is 2 slices of pizza with extra cheese.
You need to stop all these carbs. Even insulin cannot block out excessive carbs from damaging your vessels, organs etc.

Until you make decision to significantly reduce your carb intake your fighting a unwinable fight. You will eat your way to death!

Do something. NOW!

Open your kitchen bin and throw away all the carbs you can see. Now.

Look at what's left and add to it. Fill your cupboards with tinned fish for emergencies. Fill the freezer with frozen veg.

Don't buy chocolate, cake or biscuits or sugary desserts and sugary drinks. Just don't buy them. Buy fruit for now but even excessive fruit will eventually have to go.

You CAN do this.
Decide now. Death or life!

Reactions: Virtuoso12

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
@akindrat18

Why are you doing this to yourself? You know that eating those kinds of foods will damage you unless you have the correct amount of insulin on board. You are young, you have your whole life ahead of you - make the most of your chances and take care of your body!

Reactions: azure
S

serenity648

You need to stop all these carbs. Even insulin cannot block out excessive carbs from damaging your vessels, organs etc.

Until you make decision to significantly reduce your carb intake your fighting a unwinable fight. You will eat your way to death!

Do something. NOW!

Open your kitchen bin and throw away all the carbs you can see. Now.

Look at what's left and add to it. Fill your cupboards with tinned fish for emergencies. Fill the freezer with frozen veg.

Don't buy chocolate, cake or biscuits or sugary desserts and sugary drinks. Just don't buy them. Buy fruit for now but even excessive fruit will eventually have to go.

You CAN do this.
Decide now. Death or life!
He cant. He is living at home with his parents. I am not sure if he has a separate allowance/money to even buy his own choices of foods. And his parents are unsupportive of his food choices.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
sounds like something I would do and post my guilt later, eat something nice between two flaky crusts and then top those off with a couple carborific scones, just to show I', serious about breaking rank with my diet.

Take that, world
akindrat doesn't need to feel guilty about eating a moderate amount of carbs, he just needs to carb count (and do it properly) so that he knows he is eating the right amount of carbs for the insulin he is having. Too many carbs and he will have high BGs and too few and he risks having a hypo. He shouldn't be regarding this as 'a diet' just normal eating (which is why a DAFNE course would be appropriate for him)

@akindrat18 please look back at all your threads since going onto insulin and take the advice re carb counting. Plenty of people have given you links to show you how to do it. Stop feeling guilty when you 'slip up', if you carb count properly you can have some carbs and still be healthy, but you really must take carb counting seriously. You need to learn and do the basics right now, don't delay one minute longer. I found that when I started logging everything I ate it stopped me having snacks because I couldn't be bothered to work out the carbs in them. You will be surprised just how many carbs you are having if you weigh and log every single thing that passes through your lips (drinks included) . Don't guess anymore, believe me you are underestimating, we all do if we are guessing. Don't be a slave to carbs anymore, be a slave to carb counting and testing your BGs from now on, it really is the key to keeping your sight and your limbs. The guilt is getting you nowhere. If you always do what you've always done then nothing changes. Learn the correct amount of carbs for the insulin you are having and you will actually enjoy eating them and have nothing to feel guilty about. Stop the downward spiral right now and start a positive upwards one.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
If you carb count @akindrat18 it will curb your carb craves to a lesser extent too. These yearnings for carb yummies is your body craving energy which cannot happen without the correct insulin to carbs and protein you eat.
I'm thoroughly enjoying the freedom on insulin to be able to control the cravings. They were taking over. Not now.
You can make this situation a whole lot better. Just making better management skills work for you.

Last edited:

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been to see my doctor this morning and I could only get 100 test strips from him. My blood pressure is fine and I'm due for a blood test, which I'm having done next week.

I told my doctor that I need more test strips and he said that 100 is sufficient for a month. I tried to get another 50, but he said that I should only be testing 3 or 4 times a day.

Edit: Sorry, did not realise you are insulin dependant, so the advice I give following will not really apply to your position, but may nonetheless be of interest to other T2D.

I have the same restriction. As a T2D on orals and diet regime I agree with your doctor. It is possible to work things out so you get the info you need with the strips as supplied. I am a driver, and need strips to meet the DVLA guidelines, and I manage this AND do 3 tests a day.

I altered my lifestyle to help keep within the limit as follows:
I do not bother taking a Fasting reading except occasional spot checks. Instead I average my other readings for the day, then average those over a week or so to get a similar result to the FBG, and this is also my main way of predicting my next HbA1c result.

I standardised my morning routine, i.e. meds taking, same breakfast, then I fast until my main meal in the evening. This helps reduce the ups and downs that snacking etc adds to the equation, and leaves me to use the main meal for my 3 tests and food response analysis. I skip lunch or have a very light snack. I test Pre-meal, then 2hr and 4 hr after eating.

This allows approx 10 strips a month for retests, DVLA etc.

My main advice is very important. as a T2D, I do not qualify for any strips on scrip . Seems mad but its the rules. Gp's like mine are allowed a small amount of leeway, and can support a habit, provided you can demonstrate that you are using self testing to actually make significant change to your prognosis. I started by checking what happened when I altered the dosing and timing of my meds, and found a more efficient way of using my oral meds. This reduced one of my meds a little.

Then I started an LC diet, and this dropped me into hypoland, so again I was able to show I can deal with them without having severe events (i,e, assisted recovery), and I was was signed off by my Consultant as not needing assistance. Recently I have reduced my meds signidicantly (50% reduction) and my GP is still supporting me with test strips.

So it pays to demonstrate you are fully proactive in your careplan, and can use the meter to improve your condition.

So the advice is: keep a daily log of what you eat, when, what meds you are taking, and when, and of course your 3 readings taken at the same times after a meal. I use a spreadsheet, and draw graphs in pretty colours since this impresses most HCP's. I also I log and track my weight, my running averages, occasional BP readings, and notes on anything that may have affected the results (i,e, logging a chinese takeaway.or a bar of choc taken for a hypo say),.Being totally nerdy I also log when I start a new box of strips, since this can make a noticeable change in average readings by a mmol/l or two. So at my review I can point to a graph and identify significant changes (both good or bad) and then show my GP that I understand why the change occurred, This will give your GP ammunition for when the practice manager counts the beans and asks why?

Last edited:
Reactions: Salvia and zand

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you for editing your post @Oldvatr :)

I was about to post regarding the fact that the OP is Type 2 on insulin and gets his strips on prescription.

Reactions: zand

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@akindrat18 You've got some great advice above. @ickihun makes a good point about your high BS contributing to your hunger. If you feel hungry, it's less easy to resist temptation. If you control your blood sugar, that will help your weight loss diet too.

I've mentioned before about being more independent and moving into a place of your own (with Housing Benefit and your own personal benefits). You could try that. Not only might it help with removing the temptation of food sitting there freshly cooked and 'calling you', the greater independence might help you take responsibility to put the diabetes in its place and get control.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Akindrat, I've been thinking about you this morning. How about starting a new thread where others can help you with your carb counting and BG problems? Instead of feeling bad about something you feel you shouldn't have eaten, tell us first, plan ahead. Weigh your portions and ask for help counting the carbs before you eat it. I can't help a lot with that as I don't understand insulin dosage at all, so I don't know how many carbs you can have, but there are plenty of T2's on insulin and T1's who will be able to help. That way you would be in control of what you eat and will also be getting positive support from the forum (instead of frequent telling offs which aren't doing any of us any good). It might be a bit laborious at first ( and you may have to warm up meals after they have gone cold!) but at least it would give you thinking time before you absentmindedly eat loads of carbs and then have to suffer the terrible 'Why did I do that?' afterwards. This way you would know what carbs you should have and not have to feel the guilt afterwards. Make a note of every meal and the carbs in each meal and keep it for your records. You can note down your BGs too. I am sure your HCPs would be a bit more helpful in your request for more test strips if they could see you were really helping yourself consistently, so show them your food diary and carb count along with whatever BG tests you manage to take with your allowance of test strips.

Do you have kitchen scales that are accurate to the gram? Mine are even more important to me than my test strips.

I agree with what @ickihun says about high BGs and carbs too. Be proactive not reactive, that way you get in first before the carbs get you.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
16.4 at 9:30pm and then 10.1 at 4am this morning.
your levels are too high I think... try to eat some nuts instead of cake and bread ,eat pork scratschings and some slices of cheese ..or just some chicken meat or alike meat.. boil some eggs yourself learn and eat them a grown up man needs much more protein than do most women... and egg are so fine for muscles and health

hooha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
long queues.
My appointment today with the DSN to discuss my high blood sugars went no where. I've been told to stick to injecting 10 units of novorapid with each meal and not 30, but 36 units of tresiba. I showed her my blood sugar levels over the past month and she was like ”they're a bit high".

She even brought up the eat well plate, asking me if I have been following it and then when I asked about carb counting and going onto a DAFNE course, she said that I don't need to as it's for people with type 1 and that the DESMOND course is more suitable.

I feel so angry right now at them, they are just not listening to me.
ABSOLUTELY! Most GP's and the DSN's they shove you off to, don't know or don't care. They are pushing an out of date protocol -it is called ' Training the patients into a state of learned helplessness ' . To be fair to the DSN's they are just going along with the system. The fault lies with the GP's, overworked, under- funded in some cases, trying to stay in tune with terrible out -of - time guidelines from NICE.... OK moan over.!!
SOLUTION.: Go to Youtube. Watch the latest from Prof Roy Taylor '' Freedom from Diabetes, 2017 ' then watch ' Dr Troy Stapleton, Low Carb High Fat for type 1 sustainable 2016 ' These two will start you on the path to knowing what to do next . Good luck

P

pollensa

My appointment today with the DSN to discuss my high blood sugars went no where. I've been told to stick to injecting 10 units of novorapid with each meal and not 30, but 36 units of tresiba. I showed her my blood sugar levels over the past month and she was like ”they're a bit high".

She even brought up the eat well plate, asking me if I have been following it and then when I asked about carb counting and going onto a DAFNE course, she said that I don't need to as it's for people with type 1 and that the DESMOND course is more suitable.

I feel so angry right now at them, they are just not listening to me.
if they do not listen, have you heard the saying if you do not succeed the first time, then try try again, and do not give up until they START TO LISTEN, you do not work for them, they work for you, they should listen, support, explain more indepth, they should work for you.

Repeat, repeat, until the message gets through and don't stop until that happens. Its your body, life and health not theirs.

Mallorca

P

pollensa

Hi - I had to send this message - saying how much I DISAGREE with Vaper's last response to you!!!

I refused metformin and statins entirely - researched and then told the diabetic nurse I was going to try the LC/HF Lifestyle change and wait until after the initial 12 weeks to see the results, before I would consider any meds at all.

I DID MY HOMEWORK/RESEARCH, but have found my NHS diabetes nurse and doctor really don't know as much about the subject as I do now (VERY WORRYING). I then went on their DESMOND course, and came away really disappointed in it. I felt they only gave information on reducing quantities, sugars and some carbs maybe - emphasis on eating less of everything.

They could have more usefully utilised the course to suggest other possible ways to try (eg., low GI; Mediterranean; LC/HF
Well said I applaud you. You have to take charge, and you did just that, they did not listen, recommend it seems? and I threw my metformin in the toilet, and change my lifestyle, intermittent fasting, low carb keto eating, no potatoes, rice, pasta or bread x 11 months, numbers absolutely normal by 11 months NO MEDICATIONS, and A1C reduced 23% in four months! Does that get recognised no way, instead Doctors pat them selves on the back, given Metformin that allows you to eat carbs if you want, why do that when you simply do not take metformin and change lifestyle, to amend and control things naturally.

I think everyone who is informed Pre or Diabetic then only then starts to research I did 300 pages of search Mayo clinic doctors Australia, World Health Geneva and what I found out was beyond belief amongst some, did you know the cut offs worldwide vary so much as they are due to arbitrary set, no clinical or medical support proof of evidence. Being an ex retired lawyer I am a great believer of proof of evidence. The numbers are at whim random they say to CAPTURE THE DESEAse earlier, THAT SEEMS SENSE, but its not as black and white as that.........it went from 140mg/dl fasting cut off to 110mg/dl and then suddenly 100mg/dl inbetween millions of people who were normal suddenly became abnormal pre or diabetic, but what also happened the pharmas gained millions of new clients for life, stripes, monitors, etc, etc, insulin. There should be one cut off worldwide the same, this criteria proof of evidence of clinical and medical support, that the world should follow, as currently, the system is unsafe and doubt prevails if one is diabetic, why, if you are in Spain their cut off that differs from UK Australia, New Zealand, Tasmania and other means your diabetic, however, if you jump on a plane back home to Oz, UK for example, you then become Pre Diabetic by their standards of cut off levels for diagnosing...how frightening is that, how many people are mis labelled and more so given medication perhaps unnecessarily??????? more frightening.

They don't want to hear, it is a big business for all the Industry, if not, no doctor would prescribe medication first and foremost as 99.9% do??? instead it should be we put you on drastic change of lifestyle food, exercise, fasting, and low carb for 3 months and review your situation and take it from there, this is such a more pragmatic sensible way of dealing with Diabetes yes or no New Zealand does this and its the way to do it.

also my question after my researches from reputable sources, why is the medical world treading the SYMPTOM HIGH SUGARS instead of the cause, which is INSULIN RESISENCE,AS THE HIGH BLOOD SUGARS come from this the cause?

Diabetes should be targeted and focus on treating the Cause in my personal opinion, and this is not taking place, again, leave grey area of doubt why????????????????????????????

Mallorca