What pump to choose??

Lizzie78

I am currently using the Animas Vibe however I can change to the Medtronic MiniMed 640G or Roche Insight or Omnipod.....any advice very much appreciated on which one is best

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Working full time, fairground rides or anything which makes too much adrenaline!
I had same options and I went for MiniMed 640G. Best decision I ever made, brilliant pump! I didn't like the Omnipod due to having quite a large bulky pod attached to me 24/7 and the fact it made me bleed really badly (and really hurt) when I removed it. But I think it's personal choice. Are you able to trial the pumps for a few days and see which one you prefer?

tree-climber

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi... Used a Medtronic MiniMed for 4+ years and have recently moved over to the very clever (almost too clever) OmniPod from YpsoMed. Been using for less than two months and am now seriously questioning why I was not informed of a singular infuriating and potentially embarrassing aspect at selection time.

My occupation put a lot of problems in the way for the older-type pumps with the infusion piping = crushing, trapping, snagging, etc.

As pointed out by Spicey245 above, the OmniPod is somewhat bulkier (obviously) than a std. infusion cannula, yet is fantastic IF you don't want to be 'tethered' via a pipe - seriously worth thinking about - i.e. if you want the 'freedom' from the 'tether' (particularly useful when showering, swimming (non-waterproof pumps) being intimate, etc.) without the niggling background thought of having to re-attach the pump unit within ~30 minutes or suffer the resulting loss of Basal insulin. (I quote 30 minutes, since research evidence has shown that BG controls slip noticeably beyond this timescale when pumping). Similarly I have experienced the adhesive being painful on removal from infusion site with far greater 'damage' being caused to the tissue from the insertion of the cannula, bruising in particular.

There is a major downside to the OmniPod and is an unacceptable design failure (for experienced adult pumpers, and I emphasise the experienced) which does not allow an experienced user to switch off a Pod expiry alarm that goes off 9 times (yes, that's nine times) in an hour before 72-hour expiry. (Incidentally, it's the USA's FDA (Federal Drugs Administration) that require this alarm to be present for all categories of users, particularly child use).

The alarm unit is within the Pod itself attached to your body and can be highly embarrassing if you are in an unexpected situation, over-run meeting, study library, cinema, theatre, etc., the list goes on. There is nothing you can do to prevent this taking place, except follow the advice received from a rep. of the OmniPod distributors to change the unit before the last hour commences - when the alarms start beeping. Fine advice for only one change in life - useless you want to continue using the Pod system beyond three days! Why..? Say you elect to have an early evening change time of Pod (quite sensible really) the first change will be at say 7pm. It follows that the next will be just before 6pm. Within 12 days you need to change in the middle of the afternoon = highly undesirable for most users, unless you want a succession of loud, intrusive tone beeps going off throughout the final hour of the Pod's 3-day design life. (incidentally, for those who are not aware, the Pods completely shut down 8 hours after the 72-hour design life, regardless of how much insulin may still be on board).

I appreciate this may well come across as somewhat negative, yet as an insulin-dependent for over 47 years, I have seen vast improvements over my lifetime, yet the manufacturer/suppliers of improved products giving us a supposed better quality of life have in this instance missed the blinking obvious for experienced users.

It is unfortunate that it is a post-code lottery as to which pump systems are available in the UK, since some will not be offered new, cutting-edge devices purely on the grounds of hospital department staff not having the time or funds to 'learn' new systems. Another appalling state of affairs unfortunately.

On a positive note for readers, we (you) are so lucky to have these choices available -
think carefully, choose wisely - you'll have it for the next four years, no total cure on the horizon within this timescale. Carpe diem :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I was offered the Omnipod Pump and took up the offer due to it being a tubeless pump, so far its been an excellent pump and not had too many issues with it, the issues I did have were at the very start and tbh it was probably down to my own failings rather than the pump itself. One downside ( if your TDD is quite high) would be the insulin reservoir, the Pod only holds 200 units compared to other pumps which hold 300 units.

The best advice is to look at the pro's & con's of each pump, also ask for your DSN's input as they will say which pump has the least issues going by users feedback.

sofaraway

I had the same choice, and went for another Animas Vibe. Still felt it was the best pump for me, and with dexcom which is the superior CGM.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had the same choice. I went for the Insight first of all but hated it so gave it back. I then went on to the Animas Vibe, which I'm very happy with :)

If you want to change, then do, but don't feel you have to. You've not mentioned if you're happy with the Vibe, but if you are then look at the other pumps on offer but do choose what's best for you and don't feel you have to change.

Let us know which one you go for :)

Lizzie78

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and I am certainly going to give it a lot of thought, my pump had a crack down the side and out of warranty so I have the option of a new one. I do like the vibe but had it for over 4yrs and just keen to see the new technology on pumps. I do like the sound of the omnipod as it is tubeless so that may be the one I go for, I will certainly let you all know what I chose, thank you xx

Reactions: 4 people

Smurfs1010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi everybody next year I am going to get an insulin pump and the hospital gave me a choice between the Omnipod,Accu-Chek insight and one of the minimed pumps. But I am not sure which one to choose and which one is the most recommended

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
Hi everybody next year I am going to get an insulin pump and the hospital gave me a choice between the Omnipod,Accu-Chek insight and one of the minimed pumps. But I am not sure which one to choose and which one is the most recommended
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/uk-pump-user-guides-and-instruction-manuals.86224/

you will find all the details of the pumps they have offered you on there, the option is a personal one as you need the pump that will suit your lifestyle

Smurfs1010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi I have another question. About the Accu-Chek Insight for anybody who has it or used it I just wanted to know how long the battery lasts on the pump and the handset and is it water proof at all?

fozzie84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I have another question. About the Accu-Chek Insight for anybody who has it or used it I just wanted to know how long the battery lasts on the pump and the handset and is it water proof at all?

I've had my insight since 5th Oct. I have, in the past week, just changed my pump battery for the second time, so I am 3 batteries in. It would have lasted longer but I changed it as soon as the warning popped up as I was also changing the cartridge. I believe the handset will last a few days but I just charge mine up overnight so I know it's ok. As far as I understand it the pump is rated as waterproof but I do remember reading that water could get in the battery compartment so I don't think wearing whilst swimming etc is recommended, however, I'm probably not the best person to comment on this!

Reactions: 2 people

iHs

Unless someone is going to be in the water for hours at a time, there isn't really any need to get a pump that is waterproof as its possible to disconnect from a pump to have a bath or shower or to go swimming for an hour.

julilyns

Type of diabetes
Type 1
In my past experience, the waterproof pump is the best way to go!! Last summer, on my boat, I'd left my boat docked while I was going to take a swim in the lake, with my pump and towel on the edge of the boat, but one of my friends knocked the pump right off the edge and thank god for the waterproof pump or that would have not been fun at all.
I tend to swim a lot though, so it depends on the personality and what you think is best to fit your lifestyle